5.0 out of 5 stars Well Done! Well Done!, November 20, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Call of Duty: World at War Greatest Hits - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I have been reading all the other reviews over the past few days and some of them made me wonder if the game was worth it or it was gonna be a dud. I was really worried about the aspect ratio in the coop mode. I was worried about the online play. I was worried about the scoring system. I was worried that a game I really enjoyed, Call of Duty 4, was going to be tainted by a bad game. WoW was I ever glad to be wrong.

Let me tell you about Call of Duty: World at War.

Its realistic. Its honest. Its brutal. Its massive. Its haunting. Its chaotic. Its mind-numbingly astonishing. Its everything COD4 introduced and everything COD4 could not be. It hits home. It makes you appreciate the terror our men faced during those times. It makes you realize that war is not pretty, its evil and sick; and the landscapes, buildings and natural surroundings are just as deadly as the people that hide in them.

For those of you who have ragged on this game I think your nuts. The controls are the same. The ranking systems are similiar. The coop play is amazing. The single player story line is terrifying. The maps on multi player stay with you long after you stop playing... the belfry that you can snip from, the cat walk beside the giant water tower that you can hide on, the tanks, the bunkers, the assylum and its haunting rooms, the air field, the normady beach, the cliffsides, the jungles...

I was playing last night on one of the online maps. I was running away from this guy and I had ditched him and found a small hiding place to make a stand and ambush him. As my heart slowed and I gained my bearings I started looking around... thats when I realized I was in a room with bars on the windows and a broken wooden door not far from me. I started examining the room. I looked up and thats when my heart stopped. I saw a long set of pipes that trailed the ceiling and at the end of each set of pipes was a sprinkler or a shower head... I was in a gas chamber. I was standing inside a chamber that was recreated from images out of a WWII concentration camp.

World at War is incredible. It is beyond imagination. I am floored and I am left without anything more to say than - WoW.

Buy this game. If you loved COD4... hold onto your SixAxis controller cause your gonna be blown away.

Happy Hunting and as you play, remember those who have embraced the slumber that they will never be awakened from... who sacrificed their life so you could have the freedom to play a game like World at War.

Never Forgotten! Always Remembered!

Edit:

It is December 22nd and I am reviewing what I previously wrote and I must say that I am even more impressed with COD5 than I originally was. I went back and played COD4 the other day and I was dissapointed at the lack of colors and suspense and at how 'sandbox' the levels are. I have fun with COD4 but to be honest there is just something about COD5 that hooks me.

I must admit that I am fairly new to the COD franchise. I recall playing COD3 I believe or possibly COD Big Red One. But I was not impressed. It was fun. But no high replay value. The WWII stuff was cool but not so much. The game was cheesy and hard and I was not impressed with the COD franchise at the time. When I played COD4 I was really impressed. When I played COD5 I was hooked and I am now a believer in the COD franchise.

I do not want to spoil too much for anyone but here are some small tips. Go online and try the Co-op campaing modes with your buddies. Or rather go head to head with them in a coop competition to see who gains the most points at the end of the session. COD5 is brilliant and I do not regret a day gone by for having bought it. While you are playing look around the maps, use teamwork that you will need to achieve victory against your opponent. I have to admit that I truly enjoy all of the maps. Each map has the perfect place for every kind of player and ever kind of player class. The only problem is others know those perfect spots too but occasionally you find your sweet spot.

So. Once again. Happy hunting and I will look forward to seeing you on the battle field.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2008 9:20:45 AM PST
I completely agree with your view. Some people don't appreciate that this game goes back to WWII, therefore the mood of the game would (and should) be a different general mood and feel than Modern Warfare. In many ways war back then was more brutal and horrific than it is now.

Posted on Dec 1, 2008 10:17:05 PM PST
J. Washburn says:
I think war today is just as grusome as it was back then. I just think that the immediate impact of what is taking place is not always evident.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2008 11:28:44 PM PST
Dat Hong says:
war is always groesome. I think because of technology, we are able to rely informaiton so fast and not have to conjure up wild images of what was happening where like the poor people and soldiers back in the day. Some didn't even know the war was over when it did.

Posted on Dec 23, 2008 10:30:09 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 27, 2008 10:33:06 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 3:00:24 AM PST
M. Voltaire says:
Interesting review, though I think it's Normandy beach.

Posted on Jan 5, 2009 2:36:59 PM PST
Izz-Rei says:
heh, the gas chamber. At least it wasn't "under" Castle or the "power rock" in Makin. Those amushes arn't cool. I'll look ya up. Good review btw. But I can't give the multiplayer 5 stars when almost every map has some sort of cheap glitch.

Posted on Jan 5, 2009 6:09:18 PM PST
Win Naing says:

Posted on Feb 7, 2009 12:39:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2009 12:40:07 PM PST
Laurie A says:
I'm just curious, what map were you in when you were in the recreated gas chamber??

Posted on Feb 13, 2009 7:25:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2009 8:09:52 PM PST
R. Rosano says:
Respect your opinion, but have to completely disagree. CoD4 is still the FAR superior game between the two.

Posted on Feb 13, 2009 1:33:56 PM PST
CMC3719 says:
I'm a mom of a 12-year old who is begging me for this game. (One of his friends, son of a former Marine, has it.) Normally I would insist that he not get a game rated "M". I'd love some feedback as to whether this is inappropriate for a 12-year old. (He did see Saving Private Ryan and Cold Mountain without any problem.)

Thanks, CMC