1,476 of 1,512 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Totally lives up to the hype--We love Sophie!, June 4, 2009
This review is from: Vulli Sophie the Giraffe Teether (Baby Product)
Length:: 2:12 Mins

My name is Shelby and this is my video review of my 5-month-old son playing with Sophie the Giraffe. We love Sophie. She is very well-made and I hope seeing Sophie in action will be helpful to others. Also, I think I repeat myself a little in the video--sorry about that!

*****UPDATE 3 AND 1/2 YEARS LATER*****
Little Theo in the video is turning 4 at the end of this month and I wanted to comment on what a long and useful life his Sophie had. She endured years of some very hard chewing and never cracked, tore, or got any holes. She got a little dirty and lost some paint, but other than that she was still going strong when Theo finally outgrew her. Her long legs turned out to be perfect for those 2 year molars as well, since they reached all the way back. I ended up throwing her away since it seemed like a really gross hand-me-down, but she was structurally in as good a condition as the day we bought her.

Now we're on baby #2 and Sophie #2. Our daughter had six teeth (four on top, two bottom) when we adopted her at 16 months old and she took to Sophie right away. If you're wondering if Sophie is a good teether for an older infant or a child who already has some teeth and a strong jaw, I give that a wholehearted "Yes!" As long as there are still teeth coming in, Sophie is fantastic.

Please be aware that no young child should be left unattended with any toy including Sophie. Because of her size and shape, she is easy to remove from a child's mouth should something go wrong. As I said, our Sophie lasted over 3 years without any cracking or splitting.

We STILL love Sophie, even after all of these years. Happy teething!
**************************************

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 6, 2009 10:44:44 AM PDT
S. Hogan says:
Reviewer here--in the video I forgot that I wanted to talk some more about the dog toy aspect. What I wanted to say is that Sophie is designed like a dog toy for the same reason it's designed for dogs, which is that it feels good in the mouth to have a firm but soft toy with a giving surface. We have hard teethers and while Theo likes those as well it doesn't provide the same texture and springy feeling of rubber. He keeps returning again and again to Sophie. The feeling of a firm but springy chewing toy is different than a hard teether or stuffed animal. There are other rubber and rubber-like (silicone, for example) teethers on the market, but as far as that goes, it really depends on what you'd prefer to have in your child's mouth. Since Theo clearly prefers this type of teether, I feel better letting him chew on something that I know is safe and non-toxic and made in a country with very stringent requirements for children's toys. The lead incidences recently really opened my eyes to something I never thought was a danger, and it was even found in toys from major American toy manufacturers. With Sophie I know where she's made and what she's made of, and that there are no toxic chemicals. Yes, she is expensive, but I'd much rather have that in his mouth than a toy where I don't know really how it was made and if it passed the same standards. We only learned about the lead problem after the fact.

With regard to actual dog toys, I implore people to think twice about allowing your baby to chew on one. There are minimal (or basically no) standards for what goes into a dog toy, and some packages explicitly say they are not for human consumption. Additionally, the rubber is much thinner and a child with teeth could easily chew off a piece and choke (Sophie is very thick rubber and when I gnawed on it myself, I didn't make a dent). I'm not saying that everyone needs to buy Sophie, but I really would recommend that people NOT buy an actual dog toy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2009 8:25:21 PM PST
P. H. Lett says:
Shelby, I read your post tonight- you provide a well balanced analysis of the teether. And congrats, what a darling baby boy! I love your video- bravo for taking the plunge. Do you know if with new moms and dads, if there is less emphasis placed on the need to actually hold the toy and mouth it? I have observed the toys to dangle in front of or over the babies, while they bat and make attempts to get to it, but the parents are not connecting the dots as to actually allow the toys to be used (seriously). I work with children with special needs but all infants need essentially the same early stimulation and opportunities. You could advertise the device as an oral motor - for feeding and pre language toy due to what is taking place, as well as the comfort and work of teething. I was just impressed to find that as a young mom you found this exercise so essential that you took the time to promote the activity as much as the toy itself (I do agree with the advantage aspects of Sophie). I just thought I would take a moment to write to thank you. As an older mom with grown children, I was afraid toy mouthing was a dying art. I hope to see Sophie or any recommended toy in the hands of the infants. Perhaps my young moms will read your review. Sometimes more is caught than taught. Hope this finds you well. Thank you, again and enjoy your little one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2009 5:46:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2009 5:46:42 PM PST
Thank you for this review. I have wanted to buy our son (one week shy of 5 months) a Sophie but was having trouble convincing my husband it is worth the money. After seeing your video review, he is now on board and we are going tomorrow to buy one! THanks so much and Theo is adorable!

Posted on Nov 21, 2009 2:43:20 PM PST
starryskies says:
Thank you for the review. Your son is adorable and you can tell he really loves his Sophie! I am due in 6 weeks and received a Sophie for my baby shower and was wondering whether to keep it or not. Your review definitely assisted me in making my decision to keep our Sophie. I only hope our baby loves it as much as yours does. Thanks again!

Posted on Nov 26, 2009 10:06:13 AM PST
MIA says:
Thank you for taking the time to post this video and review. My 8 month old has had every teether known to mankind and this is the only one where she´ll actually be able to scratch the back part of her gums (thanks to those long legs.)
It´s in the mail, but I´m sure she´ll love it. And I won´t have to worry about her choking on it....
thanks again.

Posted on Nov 30, 2009 2:10:40 PM PST
sailfast says:
Thanks for the video review! Based on it I plan to buy one for my 4 month old nephew- who is chewing on everything- but mostly his fingers right now since he doesn't have a good teething toy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2009 6:31:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2009 6:43:59 PM PST
Robert Mohns says:
Regarding P. H. Lett's note: "I have observed the toys to dangle in front of or over the babies, while they bat and make attempts to get to it, but the parents are not connecting the dots as to actually allow the toys to be used (seriously)."

I think based on a very small sample size of one little girl ;-) that infants need both things they can reach out for and grasp, and things they can hold in their hand. Our daughter definitely likes to grab swinging things and drag them straight to her mouth. :-)

Anyway, we just received (last night!) a Sophie for our 4-month old daughter for Christmas. Delightful toy! Sophie smells much like my favorite toy from childhood, a Donald Duck with a rubber head and beanbag body. That rubber head was such a pleasure to nibble on that I kept nibbling on it until I was, oh, I don't know, at least eight or nine! I tried nibbling on Sophie's horns myself, and I was truly tickled to discover it had pretty much the same resilience, texture and flavor as my childhood favorite. I can't wait to give Sophie to our daughter!

Posted on Jan 21, 2010 6:57:11 PM PST
Elena Nuno says:
WARNING!!!!! I found my 5 month old son choking on Sophie the Giraffe. One of the toys legs was lodged in his throat and he could not breathe, I had to literally yank it out of his throat! This toy should be recalled before it causes deaths, if it hasn't already.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2010 8:45:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2010 8:47:22 PM PST
S. Hogan says:
Thank you P.H. Lett! I'm just now returning to this review to see all these posts. Wow! I don't know if I'd call myself a young mom though--I'm 36 :D. But I entirely agree--infants need to engage all senses with toys, and tactile handling is so important. Sophie is particularly nice because she's a good size for the baby to hold on to on their own. It's one of those toys where he doesn't "need" my help (or interference). Thank you for your sweet comment :).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2010 8:46:16 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 21, 2010 8:47:44 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (3,788 customer reviews)
 (2,507)