2.0 out of 5 stars Great sound at a cheap price isn't necessarily cheap, November 25, 2005
This review is from: Sennheiser PX 100 Lightweight Collapsible Headphones (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
If I were only reviewing the sound quality of these headphones I'd give them 5 stars. If I were only reviewing the comfort of these headphone I'd give them 5 stars. After all, I've bought three sets of them I liked the sound and comfort so much. The problem is, that it was three sets in less than 18 months...

All of them failed in the same way: the right channel just crapped out from a cheap cord design. The first set I chalked it up to me not treating them right. The second set I was a bit angry about but I decided to try the warranty replacement. Unfortunately, I was dumb enough to buy a 3rd pair while waiting on the very slow warranty service, which wound up replacing them with a completely different model of headphone to add insult to the whole process.

Well, yesterday, in spite of my gentlest treatment yet, set #3 crapped out in the right channel after only 4 months. That's it, I'm not wasting any more money on these headphones and I recommend the same to everyone else.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 4, 2007 2:15:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2007 2:16:08 PM PST
L. He says:
Mine had the same problem. The wire connector and wire broke off. Interestingly, it's also the R-channel wire broke. The connector design is flawed. The wire and connector go straight line, unlike most of the other headsets, making an angled connector, which adds protection. The sound quality of the Px100 is excellent though. Only if it lasts. Now I'm putting back my Koss KC75. Forget about sennheier.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2008 11:15:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2008 11:17:22 AM PDT
Watcher says:
That really sucks that the headphones sound and feel awesome but the quality is something to be desired. Might I recommend the Koss KTXPRO1 Titanium Portable Headphones with Volume Control. I currently have 2 pair but I used to have another pair that I sold to a friend. The original ones I bought are still working from back in 2004. I only bought another pair because I have 2 mp3 players which I'd like separate headphones to use with them. I have successfully recommended them to friends for years who've gotten months and years of use out of them. The volume control feature is invaluable!

Here is the link to the Koss Titanium Headphones:
Koss KTXPRO1 Titanium Portable Headphones with Volume Control

Posted on Oct 10, 2008 7:34:13 PM PDT
Marianna99 says:
These deliver nice sound. However, I've the same problem twice with the failure of sound in one of the channels.

Posted on Dec 18, 2008 9:38:54 AM PST
contraption says:
I had a set of these with the same issue and tried to repair them by cutting off the connector to install a new one. Upon stripping the outer insulation I discovered that the internal wiring consists not of typical plastic-jacketed stranded wire, but of fine copper strands that are individually coated in a thin layer of transparent plastic, making them impractical to strip and resolder. This design may serve some voodoo audio improvement function, but I suspect it also makes the unit very prone to failure at the connector. If I bought another set I would immediately reinforce the cable-connector junction with heatshrink tubing or tape, and use extra care not to kink the cable when plugging and unplugging it. They were excellent headphones otherwise.

Posted on Dec 31, 2008 7:19:02 AM PST
knull says:
I had the same problem, with Altec Lansing earbuds and PX Sennheisers, unfortunately most cheap products are nowadays not designed to last - after all, the companies need to make more money..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 11:17:42 AM PST
WorkingVerb says:
Thanks for the autopsy. An unusually useful post.

Posted on Jan 7, 2009 2:21:08 PM PST
A Jones says:
Glad to read these reviews. I've had my PX 100 for about 18 months and all was well, great sound, comfortable. But just today, suddenly the left earphone died and the right one lost volume. Boom. That was it. I'm going to read reviews to see what other brand I might get as I don't like earbuds at all. I have an iPod 3rd gen I use when I walk, strictly for music; and I recently treated myself to an iPod touch.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2009 2:22:03 PM PST
A Jones says:
Excellent point. I guess I should be glad mine lasted 18 months.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2009 6:28:37 PM PST
M.Awesome says:
To A Jones: If you haven't purchased anything yet, I'd reccomend the Koss PortaPros. They're similar to the Px100s and the two are often compared. I've had my pair of PortaPros for 3 years now and I haven't had any problems. I've found that the sound quality is similar to that of the Px-100 (that is, excellent) but with richer bass, creating a fuller sound. I've had both the Px-100s and the Hd-202s from Senn, and both of them had that same problem with the cord, never had any such issues with my pair of PortaPros though. The Koss' aren't quite as portable as their name suggests, as they don't fold flat like the Senn's, but they are very durable and the sound is great. I would definitely recommend looking into them if you haven't yet.

Posted on Mar 6, 2009 11:44:52 AM PST
Ted in RI says:
Noted M. Mayer's comment and agree wholeheartedly. My PortaPro's are nearing their 15th anniversary. The pads need rejuvenation, and........surprise........are still available from Koss, all this after a 25 year production life. Speaks volumes for Koss quality. The iGrado's ain't bad either, gave a set to my daughter for her iTouch. She loves 'em almost as much as I do the Koss'
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›