5.0 out of 5 stars Best mouse yet, September 16, 2009
This review is from: Logitech G500 Programmable Gaming Mouse (Personal Computers)
This is easily the best Logitech mouse yet. I own both the G5 and G9, and settled on the G5 as my primary mouse some time ago after hating the grip of the G9 (neither one felt natural to me). This was a problem, since I felt the G9 performed better but it just wasn't comfortable. As a result, I'm going to compare the G500 to the G5.

On the ergonomic side the G500 has had the ridge on the upper-right whittled down, making the mouse far more comfortable--especially if you hold your middle finger on the right mouse button (instead of the ring finger as some people do). This gives your ring finger a much more natural place to rest. The palm rest also feels a bit wider and raised, making the palm grip even better than the G5. Thumb button placement is fine, though I preferred the larger G5 buttons. Sensitivity toggles have moved to the upper left, making changes easier while using the index finger. Logitech has also blessed us with a mouse wheel toggle (free spin/click) that is on the top of the mouse instead of the bottom as they did on the G9. This is a huge plus for me, as I run it in free mode while browsing and click mode when gaming and I tend to alternate between the two regularly.

Performance-wise, it's technically better than the G9 and noticeably superior to the G5. The Setpoint software that is used with the G500 is also different from that of the G5, allowing for more control over the mouse. For those curious about performance in specific gaming genres I can't comment--I play almost every game genre and feel this mouse excels at them all. I'm also using it on a RAZER Goliathus Control mouse pad which is nice and smooth without feeling like there's zero friction as I tend to like some drag on my mouse.

One other note: The G5 weight cage will not work in the G500. The cage in the G500 has been altered a bit; two weight slots have been removed and the alignment track is gone. The G500 uses the same weights as the G5, however (1.7g and 4.5g).

I'd recommend this mouse to any G5 owner without hesitation. If you're a claw-grip user you could still use it, but the G9x is probably a better choice for that style of usage.

January 3, 2012 Update: I've been using the G500 since the this review was first written, and it remains in excellent shape with only minor wear from usage. This is still the first mouse I recommend when asked.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2011 9:42:38 PM PST
Fantastic review, very helpful. The G5 is still my all-time favorite mouse, but it's becoming extinct and I need to find a suitable replacement as I use several of them on multiple computers. Have you had any issues hitting the sensitivity buttons by accident? I never use those buttons. Their placement on the G5 was idiotic -- extremely awkward location. But I actually liked this placement because there was virtually no risk of hitting them by accident.

Also, I'm not a fan of Logitech's free-spin/click toggle device. I used it briefly on their MX mouse awhile back, and found that it lacked the tightness of the dedicated click wheels. I also prefer the rubberized texture of G5 wheel. When in click mode, does the click tension on this mouse feel tight?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 6:35:26 AM PST
Bucky says:
I've never had any problem with accidentally pressing the sensitivity buttons. The position they're in makes is so that you'll never even notice them unless you make a conscious decision to use them.

If you're not a fan of Logitech's spin/click mouse wheels, you won't like this one either. It does not have the tightness of the dedicated click wheels, and the wheel itself has a small textured rubber grip down the center of the wheel. It took me awhile to adjust to the loose feeling of the mouse wheel, and while I have it can still be an issue if you use the middle mouse button regularly, as I occasionally rotate the wheel when I press it.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 2:43:14 AM PDT
Jack says:
Yep. Bought this back in 2010, it's been running strong. It's comparable to my 2 other laser mice but the weight is evenly distributed and quite light despite not coming with custom weights like the G400.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 8:50:18 PM PDT
I think you may have just helped me make up my mind, and I thank you for that!

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 4:45:55 AM PDT
Robert Vogel says:
I've been a G5 user for at least 5 years (same exact one, still going strong!) but have been looking at upgrading to this one. Your great review (plus follow-up) put me over the edge to buy it! Thanks!

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 10:14:10 AM PST
Don Speckeen says:
Many thanks for a great review - I've owned the G5 from the day it came out - but as others have stated - I was looking to upgrade. Being in my 70's and an avid FPS gamer - I've been hesitant to try another mouse that I wasn't sure of. Your comparison G5 vs G500 did the trick...

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 8:32:32 AM PST
neverlast says:
I have been wanting a G5 forever, to replace the old one from forever ago. it's irritating to me that people are asking so much for a mouse that could be over ten years old. I should have bought several when that rebate thing was happening on the battlefield ones but I just didn't like the way those looked, dumb me. i was thinking the g500 was smaller which did not appeal to me at all. if all it is slightly less weight lie you said I think I can adapt to the other changes, i like a heavy ( Max) g5 but it will still be better than the crap I am using now.

so now I have g500 to seek as well as a reasonably priced g5. Thanks.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 8:20:43 AM PDT
AuntieM says:
I own two working Logitech ball mice. The old one, trackball wheel, is far superior to any other mouse I have used. The newer ball mouse (no wheel) is not easy to use but since I need a wired mouse, it is the only one available to me. The size is built for a larger hand and it it not comfortable for a female's hand.

To those who use the G5, in your opinion would it be a good choice for a smaller hand grip?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 3:39:29 AM PDT
neverlast says:
I sought one because I have huge hands. this is a big mouse. a Big Gnarly mouse. i'd say it's nearly 3/4' longer than a standard and I put the heaviest weights in the crate for the biggest feel possible for me.

the mouse is awesome though, all the girls in my house want one and i make them stay off my system. lol it;s perfect for gaming but to be honest, I spend about 85 hours online a week and only a few hours is gaming so regular use is a great deal too.
hard to say if you'll like it. I personally have hated every track ball type mouse ever, except for certain programs (drawing and photo) I found my G5 just recently, it's awesome. they should make them again. the new 500's are just not the same.

Posted on Jun 13, 2013 8:18:19 AM PDT
You know, I've been looking at this mouse for a couple of days now (Can't purchase atm, so I'm just drooling, lol), and I've noticed something; not only is this a great gaming mouse, it would be invaluable to a digital artist. Alongside the Logitech G13 game board, this would make for the ideal hardware setup for, say, The GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP)...the OTF DPI adjustment alone would be well worth the purchase, and the programmable buttons just seal the deal even faster for myself, at least. And as for the scroll wheel, that would help with image navigation greatly.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (1,049 customer reviews)

$94.99