5.0 out of 5 stars believe the hype, March 22, 2012
This review is from: Samsung UN55ES8000 55-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (Silver) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
I just received my TV, set it up and tested it out. First of all, installation was a breeze, camera and mic work beautifully as do the motion controls.

More importantly, the image is perfect. I don't know what these other reviewers are going on about but screen uniformity is phenomenal and on par with any of the other LED LCD tvs I've seen. Blacks are deep and inky and with the backlighting on the factory default, I saw no evidence of flashlighting or light creep.

3D works like a charm. Set the PS3 to recognize the new screen and the new 3D glasses pair with the TV quickly and easily and don't mind at all if I look away from the screen. Tested out Transformers 3D (don't laugh, I have 6 year old son and he loves them) and the image was crisp, detailed with very little artifacting or crosstalk. I fired up wipeout HD 3D and that performed beautifully as well.

For me, it was between this TV and the new Panasonic line up. While I agree that the plasmas handle blacks better than LCD screens, I prefered the image crispness of an LED LCD panel. I am not disappointed and more than happy with the es8000.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 22, 2012 11:50:04 AM PDT
yet a new person who know's what he is talking about.glad u are enjoying this tv as well as the little son u have ,wonderful new's so far alot of people are saying the same thing ,and a little bit of peopele are not getting the right picture.but hey that's life glad u made a review post some picture's if u can on your setup.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 12:43:24 PM PDT
J. Chace says:
Glad you are loving yours too! I noticed when I calibrated mine it was clipping about 40 pixels off each edge, if you see DVR screens being cut off there is an adjustment in the picture menu that fixes it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 1:13:40 PM PDT
U should buy girl with the dragon tattoo it's fantastic on bluray

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 4:03:21 PM PDT
Eugene Y says:
Already picked it up as well as a copy of How to Train Your Dragon 3D... which looks phenomenal. I know a lot of people say that 3D is a gimmick and it is but during the flight sequences, oh man, what a gimmick it is!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 7:36:30 PM PDT
That's wonderful bro. I am looking into buying a monster 1800 surge protector for my home therter setup. I own klipsch RF-62 II speakers aswell as a RC-62 II center speaker and for backs the RS-52 II and the subwoofer is the Klipsch SW-112 a KILLERSUB LET ME TELL U WOW. Then I got my onkyo receiver and the Xbox 360 and the ps3 for my bluray movies and also just got the apple tv 3rd gen. For my music and steaming thing to and from my MacBook pro all in all it's good my tv tho is the Samsung LCD 40 inch tv it's a 5 and a half year old tv but it does the job for now working on a new tv this year I hope just the price is alot for ES8000 will wait a little longer maybe Xmas. What is your setup like bro I would live to know

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 6:23:06 AM PDT
Girl333 says:
Eugene,

Can you please check for me if this work for your ES8000. If you do picture 16:9 where top and botom are black (and also check channal that left and right sides are black) - do you see white color that comes from LED bulbs behind panel? I have this issue with my 55D8000. If I stand accross tv or with angle, I can see lights from LED bulbs ( this means that they are too near the panel - bad made). They are the best seen when room is dark. This was big issue for D8000 model (pixel issue as they said in store). I would really appreciate your help.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 9:00:27 AM PDT
Anthony5362 says:
Hey Eugene,

What's the Firmware Version# on your D8000? I just updated mine the other day and it is Amazing now! The blacks are black and theres barely if any uniformity that's noticeable to me anyhow. Let me know if you need to know where to find it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 8:44:51 PM PDT
Eugene Y says:
Hi, there's definitely some light creep that comes from the bottom of the screen if you're looking at the screen in a dark room with no lights. It's not noticeable in a room with lights or during the day.

It's not a deal breaker for me, I chalk it up to one of the negatives of an LCD panel versus a plasma.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 8:45:49 PM PDT
Eugene Y says:
No idea, the TV updated itself as soon as I connected it to my network. Glad you're enjoying the TV now, I'm certainly very impressed with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 8:53:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2012 8:55:26 PM PDT
Peter Ko says:
Hi Eugene,

I'm thinking about buying this TV but I would like your opinion. I was at Paul's TV and the UN55ES8000 was next to other models with the same feed (FoodnetworkHD channel) on and I noticed that the picture looked almost Blu-ray quality compared to the others. But I was in another store and UN55ES8000 just looked normal, how would you say your TV looks when watching HD broadcast?

Thanks
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (164 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $1,319.00