3.0 out of 5 stars Identifiable formula for a successful Patterson book, but..., February 10, 2007
This review is from: Step on a Crack (Michael Bennett) (Hardcover)
First the good news: Alex Cross is not in this book. I was looking for a fresh approach to Patterson's stories, and this one had that potential. It's not that Cross was a bad or inappropriate character... it was just time for somebody else to step up to the plate. In Step on a Crack, it is NYPD Homicide Detective Michael Bennett, with his 10 adopted kids, his terminally ill wife, and the biggest case of his career. He's not quite another Job (that's the biblical Job, not the work job), but let's just agree that he has many, many things going on in his life at the same time. Bennett's faith obviously is being tested.

Now the bad news. You can finish this book in about two hours. The large font (hey, I didn't need my reading glasses... what does that say about his reader's demographics?), hefty margins, and lots of space to take notes (okay, I'm being facetious) all mean that it doesn't feel like a full-length novel. Harry Potter 7 is coming out this summer. It will take hours and hours to read over a period of days. This novel is... reading-lite. It seems to be a reoccurring theme for Paterson's novels. Maybe it only bothers me, but here's what it led to: I started it, and finished it, in the bookstore before I could even buy it... super, super saver!

NYPD Homicide Detective Michael Bennett was a nice guy, like Alex Cross. I hope Patterson bases his characters on real cops. I would guess police work is 80% tedium, 19% action, and 1% terror. Patterson focuses on the intersection of tedium and terror; this is his forte.

I look forward to a Patterson novel that has real meat. Sadly, Step on a Crack was diet food for the mind.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 16, 2007 10:16:22 AM PST
Jazz says:
I agree wholeheartedly. This book was trash. I don't know who Michael Ledwidge is, but I certainly don't want to read anything of his. Mr. Patterson is capable of much, much better. I am so dissappointed.

Posted on Jul 16, 2010 2:23:32 PM PDT
I have been a fan of Patterson and have read almost every book....more recently he has gone down quickly. He has too many people as co authors. He should stick to his own books and limit his books to his own. I hope he reads this since I like the guy but he needs to refocus on hos books in recent two years especially.

Posted on Sep 19, 2013 5:23:06 AM PDT
A. Bernard says:
Hmm. Hope I can make it beyond where I am now; chapter 11 [probably 2 in a real book] and come and add to this comment. Haven't liked what I've read so far. Premature maybe but a good book normally grips me within the first couple of pages. So far a lot of stereotypical characters with the heavy use of the letter 'c' in their names!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (498 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01