1.0 out of 5 stars Beware - No Security, June 3, 2008
This review is from: Summer Infant Day and Night Handheld Color Video Monitor with 1.8" Screen - Silver (Baby Product)
Beware that this product contains only 2 channels. As a result, this video enabled baby monitor broadcasts your baby's image and sounds to anyone who purchases this unit. I purchased this for my newborn recently. During setup, I had not yet plugged in the camera (it was still in the box with the cord wrapped up), yet when I turned on the handset, I could see someone elses crib. Found the channel button, of which there is an A or B, changed to the second channel, and sure enough, there is another room, this time a toddlers bed (the kind with the rails). Now both the channel A crib and channel B bed were empty, but it was early afternoon. To confirm that what I was seeing was correct, I turned the unit on again at 11:00 PM. Now I could see one of my neighbors infants and another's toddler in thier beds.
Do you want to be broadcasting what your baby looks like and the sounds from your nursery 24/7 to anyone who can purchase this device and drive around looking for open broadcasts?
Cordless phone manufacturers figured out 12 or 15 years ago that each unit needed the ability to pick a fairly unique channel. This device, more sensitve to my mind due to the added video, broadcasts sound and video of your baby free from any security whastsoever.
Returned product immeditely.
For those curious, I live in a far NW suburb of Chicago and the homes in my neighborhood are not too close with the typical quarter acre lots and I was able to see 2 different cameras.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2008 7:25:28 AM PST
G. Hurtado says:
Why exactly is it such a big problem that someone else could see a picture of your baby? Does seeing a picture of a baby help the "baby kidnappers" in your head in some kind of way?

Posted on Dec 19, 2008 10:11:54 AM PST
I agree with your feelings, and am determining now if I will deal with this problem or return it. Depending on where I have the receiver and which channel it is on I pick up different people's cribs, but I live in a neighborhood that is much more compact than your sounds like. I wouldn't have guessed that 1/4 acre lots wouldn't create enough of a buffer. Besides it being creepy to imagine them watching my newborn (or being able to watch theirs) undetected, I am not comfortable with the idea that if I am trying to monitor my own child I may actually be hearing the sounds of someone else's and not respond immediately when she needs me!

Posted on Jan 16, 2009 7:36:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2009 7:41:50 AM PST
pailittles says:
I currently am using this monitor for my own baby, and I don't see how this is a real threat unless you live in a apt, townhouse, or other close quarters. I live on a .3 acre lot, and when I go outside to do yard work, I bring the monitor with me. It only seems to work if I'm relatively close to the baby's room. If I bring the monitor to the end of the driveway (which is about 2 car lengths long), the monitor becomes mostly static.

(This is not to say that I have static while I'm in the house. I've never had static while using the monitor inside the house unless I'm talking on my cordless telephone which is 900 hz.)

If security is your main concern, I would also be careful with your garage door openers. If someone were willing to spend $170 on a baby monitor looking for open broadcasts, I'm sure they would also be willing to spend $20 for a garage door opener and take the time to figure out your garage door frequency.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2009 12:11:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2009 12:12:37 PM PST
Agent says:
it may not be a baby kidnapper, but definitely the insecurity will linger

Posted on Feb 10, 2009 8:05:14 PM PST
Each individual chooses thier own level of concern for any issues of privacy, security, etc. For those who think this is lack of security is not a problem: do you have blinds or curtains on your windows, do you use a cordless phone with any security, if someone were looking in your windows, would you be concerned? While I agree that it is unlikely that any nefarious activity would result from this open signal being freely broadcast, consider that unless you turn the camera on/off manually, it is broadcasting video and sound 24/7. Any conversation near the camera is broadcast. However, sound alone is much less intrusive as they may never be able to determine its source. But with the video, someone viewing the signal can see your baby and depending on where it is pointed, you as well. Generally not too paranoid, but seeing into two other childrens bedrooms on the newly purchased unit was simply too wierd to ignore.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2009 3:45:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2009 3:48:33 PM PST
my2angels says:
In response to G Hurtado--a sex offender could be watching the child's diaper being changed, do you not care?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2009 6:57:00 AM PDT
In all seriousness, the likelihood of a "sex offender", pedophile, or plain old burglar using this in any way is so slight as to be unworthy of consideration. They would have to know that you have a child, know that you have a video monitor, know what kind of monitor, and then take up a position very close to your house for an extended period of time. Unless the alleged bad guy is your neighbor, this would be very suspicious and quite likely to be noticed. It would be far easier to just go around back and peek in the windows.

That said, it is curious that they would not include a few more channels for this very reason. Not the "sex offenders" but the annoyance of getting crossed signals. If you find that your neighbor has the same unit, it may be a good idea to get another monitor just to avoid any confusion.

And if you are really freaked out about security, it is possible to get monitor systems that are far more secure, but they'll cost a lot more money. Basically, you can run a dedicated video cable with no broadcast at all, or you can set up a home webcam with passwords and other security, and use a laptop to monitor it. Also, there may well be other brands which have more security built-in, but I'm not aware of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2009 11:52:07 AM PDT
K. Hale says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2009 6:05:23 PM PDT
Robert Mohns says:
Well, to be fair, "no babies" might equal "house unoccupied, let's burgle".

But I see the issue more practically -- with just two channels, neighbors can't jump channels to avoid stepping on each others' gadgets!

Posted on Nov 5, 2009 8:01:19 AM PST
D. Welch says:
How about the simple fact that someone could be watching you coo over your baby. I don't want precious moments like that being interrupted by thoughts of someone might be watching out of curiosity, etc. I'm thankful for this review. I was about to buy it until I decided to see what the one star people were saying.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›