Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, Stay Away!, February 12, 2011
This review is from: ARRIS SURFboard SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem/ Wi-Fi N600 Router - Retail Packaging - Black (Personal Computers)
The option of having a cable modem with built in wireless N and 4 port switch was enticing, rather than having both a modem and a wireless router. It would save me $13/month vs renting one from my cable provider Time Warner and be a next generation cable modem with very nice wireless speeds.

I like a lot of others, ignored the bad reviews in light of some good reviews and rolled the dice on it. My dice came up snake eyes.

The modem would constantly disconnect from service, at least every couple of hours ranging from 1 - 10 minutes. A simple thing like changing the routers password was a staggering affair as not only do the labels on the page not make any sense, the documentation for the modem was also wrong. I ended up having to search online for how to exactly do it.

Eventually it got to the point I couldn't take it anymore and hit up Time Warner Cable support. They where great, sent a tech out to take a look at my setup. After one tech visit, I was still having problems with the modem. The tech was confident that the everything was good on their end.

However the modem kept dropping. I then spent around 1.5 hours on the phone with another tech as we troubleshot the router. The tech was getting all sorts of strange readings from it. He couldn't get the ip from the router, it was showing 6 different mac ids connect too it (which was impossible) among other bizarre stuff. We eventually settled on something is defiantly not right with this modem.

Anyways I sent it back to Amazon, which so far has been great with returns. I ended up going with a Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem and Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Router WNDR3400 and finally have a good setup.

Just do yourself a favor, check out the reviews here and elsewhere online there is something majorly wrong with a large number of these modems. Probably a bad memory module, but who knows. If you buy this item you're probably rolling the dice.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 17 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 72 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 15, 2011 3:51:57 PM PDT
I. kho says:
We had the same issue however it turns out the trap on the cable was the cause. this modem provides access to greater bandwidth then the trap allows so it would drop. the removed the trap and no more issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2011 2:50:26 PM PDT
J. L. Bowser says:
I am thinking of getting this modem. I currently have Time Warner cable and the Ubee router keeps dropping the internet signal. How do I remove the trap?

Posted on Mar 23, 2011 10:16:12 AM PDT
Alphahozer says:
I bought this like many others thinking it was the next best thing but it drops connection seemingly every hour on the hour. Only takes a minute to reset with a paper clip but what a PITA.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2011 10:20:53 AM PDT
Jason says:
Whats a trap? Is it something the end user can remove, or does the cable provider have to do it? Thx.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2011 8:13:52 PM PDT
Tasha says:
I had an issue with wifi being slow, but going in and changing the frequency from 2.4 Ghz to 5 Ghz seems to have fixed it. Wifi is lightning fast now. Love the router. I had zero issues with set up -- I just followed the instructions in the pdf on the cd.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2011 11:15:57 AM PDT
V. Burle says:
Was there ever an answer for this? Whats trap?

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2011 4:02:39 AM PDT
Shaolin Dave says:
a trap limits the signal coming into your home. from the research i've recently done, removing traps is a way to steal cable by getting all channels on a basic account. doesn't sound like something anyone should be doing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 12:46:03 PM PDT
Donkeychong says:
To be more precise on "what is a trap?". Cable service feeds service to your home through a RG6(standard size) coaxial line. All three cable services come through this line: internet, TV, and phone service. If a customer orders only internet service. The only way the cable company can block out analog and digital TV signals that your not paying for is by placing a trap on your line at the location of the "node" that feeds your home. However out of every 50 or so traps, there is a bad one that comes from the cable company; and traps do go bad over time. A tech may simply drop one on accident and that could effect your service. Then again traps are never perfect. Your going to lose some signal strength on your end no matter what.

Simple way to avoid a trap is just order the Standard TV service along with your internet service from your cable provider, and they'll leave your line alone. Or, you can try removing it yourself and that is considered stealing cable TV service.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2011 2:50:47 AM PDT
I've tried switching to 5GHz too and then I cannot find the modem on my wireless system. I have 802.11n modems in the devices....laptops and smart phone. They all loose the modem when I make the switch.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2011 2:06:21 AM PDT
T. Gilles says:
Your devices are not dual band "N" (2.4ghz & 5ghz). I just bought a new Toshiba laptop with N wireless but not dual band. So when you switch to 5ghz only, your devices are on a different frequency. Reading reviews for Netgear, Buffalo, d-link, Motorola, and even Cisco/linksys, I don't think the manufacturers have really nailed down "N" as they were able to do so easily with "G". So I think I'll stick with my Motorola WR850G I bought at Walmart 8yrs ago for $30.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›