5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, June 11, 2010
This review is from: Tale of the Tigers: Love is Not a Game (Kindle Edition)
I found "Tale of the Tigers" truly fascinating, to be honest. I normally don't have much time to read for leisure any more, but I lost a good amount of sleep staying up too late over several nights to finish this, not wanting to put it down. The book is well-written and an easy read: character development is solid, story line is smooth, and transitions are logical.

This will perhaps put me in a bad light, but as I've grown older, maybe I've gotten myself into a bubble of ignorance over the years; I honestly didn't think race relations -- including inter-racial dating -- were still at the level of acrimony portrayed here. I remember as a young teenager growing up in Florida (not as bad as Alabama, Mississippi, et al, but still "the South"), one of my first "non-platonic" love interests was a black girl who lived nearby in our almost all-white apartment complex. The looks, comments, and general vitriol I got -- from both kids and adults (including my dad once he found out) -- as I awkwardly pursued the young lady surprised me even then. I simply didn't get it. Ms. Ochieng's novel brought a lot of those memories back, placing it into today's world and making me feel that we as a society are no more advanced in race relations than we were 35 years ago, deep down.

Ms. Ochieng's novel talks about things that perhaps we're afraid to talk about. It will make you think, re-evaluate those feelings that you may have that you don't say out loud. Now that I'm thinking about these things, I have to wonder if we'll ever be able to get past physical differences. Having worked in emergency services now for a lot of years, I can promise that everyone's blood is red, everyone's organs all look the same and are in the same place; the only difference between us, really, is on the outside. Maybe part of me is still 14 years old and innocent, but I still simply don't get it.

This was a great book; I enjoyed it immensely and would love to read more by this author.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 20, 2012 5:56:59 PM PDT
Anthony, apparently you have a very good heart and common sense. After I had experienced a bad time with a teacher, while in the 4th grade and during the first stages of integration, I angrily voiced how I felt about white people. I learned that it takes a lot out of you to hate an entire race of people, so much energy and time wasted---thanks Mom :-). I once had a co-worker tell me that his father hated blacks so much that he couldn't even watch them on tv. i told him that was sad and he probably was sick physically (he had ulcers and was a drunk). I then told my friend that while his father was busy hating me, I was busy thinking about the banana pudding I planned on making for dinner...so much energy and time wasted.

Posted on May 20, 2012 6:04:07 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 20, 2012 6:04:53 PM PDT]

Posted on May 30, 2012 6:36:58 AM PDT
Bookleaf23 says:
Hi Anthony,
You and I are in-sync. I honestly, truly don't get it. As a California native, I did not think dating outside of one's race was a big deal. My family, friends, everyone in my circle (or so I thought) was cool with it. Of course reality set me straight when a guy I was dating from my university brought me home to meet his parents. His father took one look at me and have me the cold shoulder. I felt so bad I never called him back. Looking back I probably should have not thrown in the towel so soon, but due to inexperience, tender feelings and feeling so shocked I didn't think 19 yo me could handle that.
Today, 11 years later I look back and just shake my head at such insecurities. I no longer care if people stare. I no longer care if people have a problem. My husband and I are happy, in love, have a great life and a beautiful family.

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 7:40:40 AM PDT
BookFiend says:
What a sweet though sad story & great review.
Thanks Anthony for sharing your personal experiences and reminding us race IS a social construct & that indeed! underneath, we are all the same.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (35 customer reviews)

$1.99