1.0 out of 5 stars Sounded good....., October 11, 2011
This review is from: Bound to the Prince (Elven Warrior Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This author began following me on Twitter (I returned the favor), and I read several reviews of this book before I purchased it, all of which were positive. The beginning pulled me in, and I was happy to continue....right up until I got about 25% of the way through. All that had happened up to this point was a lot of heavy petting and not a lot of backstory. I don't understand why this creature who hates humans must take a human sex slave, and I don't understand why Igraine would give up her normal life in order to be one. Her fiancee left her and she had no family, but no sufficient explanation was given pertaining to Igraine's life. Nor enough reason for her to be looking over a the edge of a bridge thinking of taking her own life.

The author uses profuse amounts of descriptives. Here's a quote: "Her hands slid inside his soft shirt, parting the loosely laced fabric over his broad chest as she started to place small kisses on his skin." FOUR adverbs in one sentence. They're not just kisses, they're small kisses. Its not just a chest, its a broad chest. It's not fabric, its loosely laced fabric, and its not shirt, its a soft shirt. The whole beginning of the book goes much the same way, with everything being described as if the author thinks she is speaking to a child. A very slow child.

Elathan is an elf who hates humankind for the death his first love. Who was also his first cousin. And who shoved him out of the way of a falling boulder, which left me wondering why he would hate humans for something that was her own ill-advised choice. The semi-incestuous implications of the relationship left my skin crawling, but that wasn't enough of a hint for me to stop.

He's attracted to Igraine for her beauty, despite the fact that he hates humans. He can't figure it out, but makes her his slave anyway. Why? I don't know.

I don't like reading romance novels whose male lead is a character who beats his own chest. I don't need an author repeatedly telling me that the woman just can't handle the hero's man-love. The whole 'I Tarzan, you Jane' thing is overdone, and in this instance, badly done. Elathan has no problem rubbing Igraine off multiple times, but won't get down to business because he's afraid her fragile human body and mind just can't take the awesomeness of elf zug-zug. Whatever. On top of believing his wang is the best thing since I dunno, dirt, he also smacks her around during their 'training' sessions. Didn't know abuse equalled sexiness. I like a man who's top dog as much as the next girl, but this was excessive.

There are multiple love scenes (I can't call them sex scenes when there is no actual sex), one dovetailing into another. They're steamy but when they're all but constant I kept thinking how many times can they kinda have sex before they actually have sex?

Igraine starts out as a likeable character who is having a bad run of luck. A fiancee who leaves her after many years together for a younger woman. She doesn't believe she is beautiful, and feels low for all the work she put into making the relationship work. She takes the trip that was supposed to be her honeymoon with her ex, and contemplates suicide on a foggy bridge. Suicide seemed a little dramatic to me, but this is not my story. She then turns into a human punching bag for Elathan, as I mentioned before. All to benefit him, not herself.

When Igraine is taken hostage by Elathan, she just sort of rolls with it. He tells her he is going to train her and she pretty much says OK and goes for it with vigor. When he tells her he will release her if she doesn't want to become his slave, she tells him she wants to stay. Even though she knows nothing about him or what her life will be like as his slave. No thought, just 'OK.'

I don't like female leads that are no credit to my gender. Igraine seemed like a pushover from the start, beginning with the limited backstory of her relationship with her ex-fiancee. She did what he wanted and needed, then got thrown over for the bigger better model. And with Elathan there is no improvement.

Overall, I wish I had read a sample before I bought this. With a thorough edit and more history on the characters (and maybe fewer steamy scenes), this could be a very good book.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 13, 2011 7:00:32 AM PDT
I would really suggest you finish the book before you write such a lengthy review about your dislike especially of the heroin. If you still don't like it then "Hey to each his/her own."

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 6:29:32 PM PDT
Small, as in "small kisses," is an adjective, not an adverb, as well as "broad" and "soft". I think you need a lesson in elementary grammar before you start writing reviews for published authors. Also, there isn't anything wrong with using a lot of imagery when writing.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 3:31:59 AM PST
E. F. says:
Great review and spot on! You were kinder than I could be. I thought this book was a stinker!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 3:34:49 AM PST
E. F. says:
Actually you can review a book and make mistakes within the review because she's not being paid and she doesn't have an editor. There is something wrong with using excessive descriptive language to the point of boring readers to tears. That was my experience with this book. If you liked it good for you but I'm betting you know the author personally given your snotty attitude.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 8:54:23 AM PDT
Sarah Winter says:
I don't need my grammar corrected, and I don't need an author telling me what to see either.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2013 3:56:14 PM PDT
Sarah Winter says:
I don't need to read a whole book to write a review. I enjoy writing them, and if a book is bad enough I put it down without finishing, I want others to know about it. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2014 11:08:24 AM PST
Actually, there is a great deal wrong with using too many adjectives or adverbs; it's disruptive and throws the reader out of the story. Also, I think any reasonable person would understand what this reviewer was trying to say, despite the misnamed part of speech. Your post, however, tells me only that you're feeling pretty snarky.

Posted on Jan 6, 2015 10:26:23 PM PST