5.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD MULTIPLAYER SHOOTER FOR REGULAR NON-"GAMERS", October 28, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Battlefield 3 - Xbox 360 (Video Game)
Not all of us are "gamers" (i'm an attorney in my late-20's). Those of us who play video games as light recreation and not "online careers" (e.g. rank, etc.) look at all the hype and wonder which games are critical/fan darlings and which are actually just fun. Well, Battlefield 3 for Xbox360 IS for us. It's like pick-up ball that's just competitive enough without being too serious for itself.

As a consumer of average video game consumption, i've shopped through the most oft-recommended/advertised multiplayer shooter series on Xbox360: Gears of War, Halo, and Call of Duty. All were fun, but with major drawbacks. Gears had mech-like sluggish characters. Halo was like one long frenetic ninja duel. And Call of Duty had poor graphics and an unbearable amount of eerily over-committed...students of the game. Battlefield 3 hits the sweet spot: just realistic enough that your actions actually have an impact despite lacking some gaming trick, yet maintaining a good pace throughout.

Most importantly, Battlefield 3's multiplayer makes, well, playing with multiple players fun. There's always someone to work in teams with. Your actions make a meaningful contribution to the team even if you're not individually a skilled killer. Other players are encouraging and, if you feel disheartened from dying many times, there is always someone on your team to deploy next to and follow their lead. There are fewer trash-talking cowards hiding behind their screen names here because--i'm guessing--they generally don't have the patience for a team effort.

And besides, it's a good game, pure and simple. Who cares about small glitches or whether it's better than other video games; no game is perfect. It's like complaining about receiving cash because it isn't stacked neatly. What matters is whether this game is fun as a video game, not some work of art. And it is fun, immensely. Personally, i believe you will enjoy this game: actually "enjoy", not just "appreciate". That is the best praise i have for a video game.

NOTE: I have not yet completed the single-player campaign, so i can only speak in regards to the multiplayer.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2011 2:42:00 PM PDT
Dude, you just said everything I have ever said to others about this series as a whole. I too don't have the time or skill to learn where all the spawn points are in Call Of Duty allowing me to rape newcomers who are simply trying to learn the map. I like to jump in, and jump out without having my controller covered in sweat due to frustration from being tea bagged over and over again by people with no life. I don't mind tense, and this game delivers many tense moments, but as a game I always felt this series attracted the more "mature" gamer. And I've always felt it was sooo much more balanced than the COD series. It is fun, strategic, and you can do well simply by playing smart, and not by memorizing the best camping spots. I'm glad the fans of COD avoid this series, I don't want them playing it. I just wish those fanboys would stop polluting the ratings simply because they don't like playing fare. Mostly because their biased reviews turn a lot of decent gamers away from this amazing series...

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 3:28:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2011 3:30:01 PM PST
Jason b. says:
You took the words right out of my mouth...thank you. I play for fun..I do not have time to update my squad from my smart phone like mw3...WOW, get a life, a job and a wife for Gods sake... this game is great for people who wanna kick back and just have fun and use there brains and team work to achieve an objective. Let all the kids and hackers play MW3, this is the game for adults... Also EA and Dice take care of there games, they fix stuff and update stuff all the time, I remember MW2 all the glitches and hackers that never got delt with, Infinity Ward got the money and ran...and they are ready to do it again.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 11:19:00 PM PST
Kyle says:
I agree with you... but I personally would like to think of US as the 'real gamers'. We use our heads and play as a team. In COD and Halo, it's just run and gun.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 3:58:24 PM PST
Alex says:

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 8:05:51 AM PST
K. McClure says:
Thanks for this review, it relays my sentiments as well. Thumbs up!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 6:16:12 PM PST
Kouzelna says:
Hey, one more regular guy thanks you for your review. I play because I'm currently single, out of work, and looking to (cheaply!) kill some time until I'm back on the ball. I don't want to invest the time becoming a "pro" gamer - I'd rather spend that time on the gym, on the bike, and investing in human relationships (remember those?) to build new contacts and rebuild old connections.

BTW, while what you said about Halo is true, a non-stop run-n-gun frenetic Ninja battle can be just what the doctor ordered sometimes. Plus, the story is great and the scenery second to none. It can be nice not to think, but just to keep reloading! Give it another chance! Start with Reach, it's the best and after all, it's the "prequel" to the rest. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 10:15:54 AM PST
Rick says:
Add me to the list of mature, casual gamers. I don't have hours to dedicate to a game and I'm not some crazy zealot who bows down to worship one game (COD) while condemning all others. I've played some of the COD games and they're cool but I find them to be a case of style over substance. I've been a Battlefield player thru every iteration of the series & I find players of these games are generally more mature & willing to work & communicate as a team, probably because the game encourages and rewards you for this type of play which happily seems to turn away the less than desireable players away & I'm sure its why the COD zealots hate it so much. They just can't comprehend this style of play therefore they condemn it.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 6:21:52 PM PST
joshcuellar says:
Not to argue, but SERIOUSLY? Call of Duty's graphics are horrible? You're kidding right? Call Of Duty's graphics are amongst the best! I'm not a fan-boy, believe me, I think call of duty is as cliche' as the last one, but I'm being honest. I just don't think you could find a thing wrong with call of duty, just the fact that it is tooo repetitive. And Gears of war, Sluggish? You mean realistic when it comes to the human body! The Human body can not constantly run for as long as in battlefield 3, especially with all that gear on. I mean obviously when it comes to the amount of bullets it takes gears of war to kill someone is ridiculous sometimes but thats where the skill comes in. If anything, gears of war takes the most skill to play online than any game i have EVER played, and you're only sluggish if you don't know what you're doing. Look up some montages on youtube and then call it sluggish. And one thing thats ridiculous about battlefield 3 is, how does every single soldier on the game know how to operate EVER vehicle? a jet? a humvee?(well thats different) a tank? A helicopter? Since they make classes for everything, you'd think they'd make someone a class where they could pilot. But it is a great game altogether, each game is played differently, but all are great if you know how to play great.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 7:59:27 PM PST
Excellent review.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 5:09:56 PM PDT
IA Zeus says:
"Call Of Duty's graphics are amongst the best!" C'mon man.. C'mon, are you being serious?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (1,367 customer reviews)

$39.99 $18.60