Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Balanced and Great Sound, Excellent Value, March 22, 2011
This review is from: Infinity Primus Three-way dual 6-1/2-Inch Floorstanding Speaker (Black, Each) (Electronics)
I ordered P362's from Electronic Expo and they sent these P363's instead. Although functionally the same, it's a newer model with a full front grill. No complaints from me!

These replace a pair of Klipsch two-way floor speakers as my front pair of 7.1 surround. The improvements are definitely obvious. Even my wife, who doesn't care about these things, notices the clarity of sound from these P363's.

The highs are not as bright as the Klipsch's, but I suspect it's because it's more accurate. The mid's are, wow! There is great clarity and does not sound strained at all even at high volumes.

The bass is good, but the need for a sub for the low movie rumbles is obvious. I mistakenly played the Tron Legacy mkv file on a two-channel setting. When I realized my mistake and switched to surround and activated the sub, the difference was obvious. For music, however, the bass is just fine without the sub. Music is actually more natural without the low rumble.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with the purchase. I'm sure there are better speakers but the P363's are just fine for me. I don't think I'll get better sound than what I get from these for the price. Highly recommended.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2011 4:59:56 PM PDT
Brian says:
Do these speakers have a cloth grill or is it metal? Thanks in advance. I can't find the answer anywhere online, including their own website.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 8:06:40 AM PDT
Eddie Chu says:
Sorry--didn't notice the comment. It's cloth grill.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 12:21:00 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jun 9, 2013 5:38:10 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 9:09:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2013 2:22:04 PM PST
longma says:
Thank NomD for your post. I could not agree more about the Primus line. I think they are one of the best affordable speakers around. And sometimes with the sale at some local electronics stores, they are steal.

I own 162 and 362 that I believe the same as the 163 and the 363. With my buget system Onlyo 7555 CD player -> Harmon Kardon 2600 with bypass mode (or direct input), the 362 and 162 sound really nice for the budget system: very decent to good soundstage and image, good to very good midrange, not quite as airy with high as the high end speakers, overemphasized and not fast, and clean bass as the high end ones, but not bad at all. The key thing is they make the midrange really good for the money, that where most the music that you listen to. With decent setup (source and amplifier), try them with some good vocal or string guitar CD, you will be amazed what these $120 -$200 speakers deliver.

We had tried the 162 in the system Onkyo CD 7555 (and PS3 digital input to Outlaw 990) -> ST120 Tube Amp that are used to drive Vienna Acoustic Beethoven. Of course, the 162 cannot sound as good or closed as the $3500, but they sound really good for their price (all the judges agree). I will try 362 with the same system and see how "bad" they are.

BTW, if you are interested in the Infinity Primus and interest in some proffesional reviews, there are some professional reviews from Stereophine (162 and 360), Soundstage (162 and 252). Take a look at the frequency response measement in Stereophile reviews. They are very flat in the midrange.

I, myself, won't hesitate to recommend those speakers for budget people who want to spend $200-$300 for the speakers. If you have 1K to spend, I recommend you to put PSB Image T6 or Keff Q900 in your listening list . But for budget minded people, please give those a try and remember, give them a decent source and amplifier.

Happy Listening.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 10:56:16 PM PST
Gino says:
Amen!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2014 1:51:57 PM PDT
M. Schroeder says:
Cloth on a plastic frame with rubber grommets.

Posted on Sep 16, 2014 2:07:16 PM PDT
happy biker says:
The big thing is to improve your amp. I had these to a HK 3490 120 times 2. Not enough to really sound correct.
Now with a Emotiva XPA with 300 rms per channel (real power not fake ratings like many others.
The speakers sound much tigher and produce clear base that was some what muddled.
I was stuck between new speakers or amp. Amp was the better choice for me.
P363's 5 of them produce a concert hall with another 400 watts on each of 2 subs.
great for 100.00

Posted on Nov 17, 2015 1:56:37 PM PST
Better than Klipsch towers ? Hard to believe.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›