5.0 out of 5 stars The Eagles Soar, November 7, 2007
This review is from: Long Road Out of Eden (Audio CD)
Title: Long Road Out Of Eden

Artist: Eagles (AKA, The Eagles)

Music: A

Performance: A+

Recording: A-

The Eagles placed their first chart hit in 1971 and went on to become the best country rock band in the land, and perhaps the world. I'm generally not much of a country music fan, but I gotta admit, those 5 guys made me an Eagles fan! If I had to sum up The Eagles' music in a single word, that word would be FANTABULOUS.

When The Eagles broke up in 1981, band members were asked when they would again perform together. I think it was Don Henley who replied... "when hell freezes over"

In 1994 The Eagles produced a reunion tour and a live MTV special. It was decided to record the MTV performance and release it on both standard CD & CD Surround formats. It seamed only logical that that CD was titled, Hell Freezes Over.

Since then, The Eagles have performed together on a regular basis and became one of the top grossing concert performers. The resulting CD's and DVD's from those concerts sold millions of copies.

But, there have been no new 'all studio' albums since 1979, until now. Long Road Out Of Eden is The Eagles' first such studio recording in 28 years and it is fantastic! Listen to these guys...especially on the opening track, No More Walks In the Wood...a cappella + solo guitar. With the exception of Don Felder, The Eagles have lost nothing, and if anything, vocally they sound better than ever and musically... the magic of The Eagles continues.

By now you must realize that I like this CD and I strongly recommend it to anyone who appreciates truly good music. The only criticism I have is a very small one and it involves distribution of the CD by a single retailer. But that's a marketing decision made by people who know about these things than I do, and hey, Wal-Mart is for Carolyn May and I, a great place to shop. Plus the fact that Wal-Mart typically sells this 2 disc musical gem at under $12.00, makes it completely acceptable to us.

Long Road Out Of Eden - my private edit & re-sequenced version

I recently purchased at 30 pack of `audiophile grade' black CD-R discs. Black colored discs are suppose to be able to reduce or eliminate laser light reflections that may be bouncing around in a cd player and thus, produce superior sound from what is possible using the typical shinny silver discs. I chose to test this with Long Road Out Of Eden. The reasons I had for choosing to use this cd are...

a. At about 88 minutes, I found it to be too long

b. Available recording time on all CD-R's is just under 80 minutes

c. For me, Long Road Out Of Eden contains a small amount of music that I prefer not to listen to.

d. I felt that the recording quality of Long Road Out Of Eden was such that improvements afforded by a black cd would be evident

... so thusly and so, it was for me, the perfect choice for this test.

I edited out 3 songs and did a bit of re-sequencing. The track listing on my `private version' of Long Road Out Of Eden is as follows:

I DREAMED THERE WAS NO WAR

BUSINESS AS USUAL

CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE

IT'S YOUR WORLD NOW

LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN

In the process of all of this, I think I ended up with an overall program that is not only easier to listen to, but is more `user friendly' by being on a single disc. Insofar as the effect of recording on a black cd instead of a silver cd... it's all in the ear of the beholder.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]