Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games

5.0 out of 5 stars Inside Story Of THE DOORS Only Garage Album- L.A. Woman, January 28, 2012
This review is from: The Doors: Mr. Mojo Risin': The Story of L.A. Woman [Blu-Ray] (Blu-ray)
Forty years ago in 1971, I bought L.A.Woman, and as all Doors fans back then, was completely blown away by their yet- another amazing sound. As like the Classic Albums dvd THE DOORS from 2008, this dvd also takes us into the making of the Doors L.A. Woman, with amazing stories and footage. The surviving Doors John Densmore, Ray Manzarek and Robbie Krieger tell us the stories behind 9 of their 10 songs- The Changeling, Been Down So Long, Crawling King Snake, Love Her Madly, L.A. Woman, The WASP (Texas Radio And The Big Beat), Riders On The Storm, Cars Hiss By My Window and Hyacinth House. The only song not covered is L'America.

Jim Morrison was and would never be the same after the Miami arrest, and his lyrics on this album especially attest to that fact. When The Doors went to begin recording this album at the Sunset Sound Studios in LA, Paul Rothchild didn't like one sound they were playing and walked out saying he would not record any of it. Paul Rothchild recorded all The Doors albums, so this really came as a shock to all of them. Bruce Botnick ignored Rothchild's walk out and took The Doors to their rehearsal studio and asked if they had anything else to record. As always, Jim and Robbie always had plenty of material for songs.

Unlike being in the Elektra Studio at Sunset Sound, where it took dozens of takes ending up in weeks or months to get the songs just right for one album, The Doors finished this album in their rehearsal studio on Santa Monica Blvd. in 4 days! All the songs were finished after one or two takes, making this a true garage band album. Bruce Botnick brought in some extra talent with Jerry Scheff on bass guitar and Marc Benno on rhythm guitar. All 4 Doors were excited, especially Jim, to be working with Jerry Scheff, who was bass guitarist for Elvis Presley's TCB band. I'm sure the heavy blues sounds on L.A. Woman came from the addition of these two highly talented guitarists.

Riders On the Storm came from the old cowboy classic Ghost Riders In The Sky, of which I still love the Johnny Cash and other old cowboy versions. The Doors and Botnick dissect the songs for us and let us hear Jim sing with the different rhythms, which is really fantastic. Crawling King Snake, John Lee Hooker's huge hit, really brings out the blues in The Doors. The big bonus on this dvd, is the song, She Smells So Nice- another blues song that I have never heard before- and Jim can sing with the best of the bluesmen on this recording. Robbie tells of writing Love Her Madly based on watching his girlfriend walking out after a fight. The Changeling is truly Jim Morrison's farewell to his life, family and friends here in America, and so sadly to The Doors.

There is plenty of seen-before footage and photos of The Doors- about 70%, but another 30% I have never seen before, and I have everything on The Doors since 1967! The talks about the music and stories I have never heard before, from The Doors, Botnick, Rothchild, Jac Holzman, Bill Siddons and other friends and associates are very interesting. Another great bonus feature is The Doors Guide to L.A.- seeing the places The Doors were at, back in 1971 and now, really added to the dvd. For a Doors fan, this inside look into the making of The Doors last album with Jim Morrison is well worth buying. On this blu-ray's 103 minutes running time, I viewed a good 30% of never been seen before photos and footage, heard stories about 9 of the 10 songs that I have never heard before, got a view of The Doors LA hangouts from both 1971 and how they look now, and got to hear for the first time The Doors song She Smells So Nice- a fabulous blues song that goes well with Crawling King Snake.

This dvd is bittersweet because it would be Jim's last album with the Doors, as after the 4 days of recording, he would join Pam in Paris, never to return, but it also brings a lot of happiness in listening to these great stories from the surviving Doors and the fact that this album was finished in 4 days in a garage type studio is testament to the sheer genius that was and always will be The Doors. I hope the surviving Doors keep making dvd's taking us into the creation of their other albums, as I can never get enough of their pure magic, that even after 40 years is still there!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 14, 2012 7:54:22 AM PDT
Gary Wright says:
Amen, brother. A look into the making of every album would be most anticipated & welcomed. Great review!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 1:21:35 PM PDT
Dear Gary Wright,
Thank you so much for your nice post. Having The Doors reviews of their first and last albums is great, but I would love to hear the surviving Doors especially review Strange Days and Waiting For The Sun- these albums are just so tremendous. Thank you again Gary for taking the time to write your kind post and Wishing You The Best Always! Maren (I use the name Tante Maren (in honor of my 2 Swedish grandfathers) which is Swedish for Aunt Marie.)

Posted on May 19, 2013 5:12:45 PM PDT
Dean says:
"When The Doors went to begin recording this album at the Sunset Sound Studios in LA, Paul Rothchild didn't like one sound they were playing and walked out saying he would not record any of it. Paul Rothchild recorded all The Doors albums, so this really came as a shock to all of them. Bruce Botnick ignored Rothchild's walk out and took The Doors to their rehearsal studio and asked if they had anything else to record. As always, Jim and Robbie always had plenty of material for songs".

Would the writer of this review tell me what the reason was that Paul Rothchild walked out of the recording sessions for one of the greatest albums of all time? IMO I think that 'The Soft Parade' was better but I still love to listen to this album/cd anyway because it has a lot of great songs on it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2013 9:29:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2013 9:32:18 PM PDT
Dear Dean,
Thank you for your great question. I had to go back and watch this dvd again, so I can answer your question in Paul Rothchild's own words when he walked out on The Doors session for L.A. Woman. The session for L.A. Woman began with The Doors playing Riders On The Storm. Paul Rothchild immediately commented after this first song "Hey listen, I'm bored. I love you guys and I love the music, but you're not turning me on and I'm not turning you on." Rothchild then walked out after this first song of the session. The Doors were really shocked at Rothchild's comments and especially at his walking out after only one song. Jim immediately said, "Do we have to record here? I don't want to record here." Bruce Botnick totally ignored Rothchild's comments and his walking out, and suggested they record at The Doors rehearsal studio. The rest is history. The Doors later found out that when Paul Rothchild heard Riders On The Storm, he made the comment that "This sounds like cocktail music." This Doors dvd is really great and listening to all the behind the scenes stories sheds a lot of light on the entire album. Thanks again for your question and The Soft Parade is truly another Doors masterpiece. Wishing You All The Best! Maren

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2013 3:14:42 PM PDT
Dean says:
The Doors being like cocktail music, HA, that's a laugh.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 12:09:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2013 12:39:18 AM PDT
Dear Dean,
Exactly my thoughts- Riders On The Storm is a lot of things- but NOT cocktail music. I have no clue why Rothchild made the comments that he did- apparently he lost faith in Jim Morrison after the Miami arrest. On a sad note- I saw that Ray Manzarek passed away yesterday- Monday, May 20th, 2013 at 3:30 p.m. in the Ro-Med Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany. Ray was just 74. He had bile duct cancer, and as a few other celebrities, like Farrah Fawcett, sought treatment in Germany. Some of those clinics in Germany attract a lot of celebrities who are ill from cancer, promising to cure their cancer with the latest technology. Sadly, I've never heard of any of them being cured. I can only express my Deepest Sympathy to Ray's wife Dorothy, his son Pablo, his 3 grandchildren and also to his surviving brothers Rick and James. He will be dearly missed by his fans. Thanks again Dean for your great post. Maren

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2014 10:04:48 PM PST
Thank you for posting this. I love the Doors and have not seen this. I hate I never got to meet Ray, he was such a nice guy and loved hearing his stories. What a true hippy he was. I wonder if Lonnie Mack who played on LA woman was interviewed for the DVD? I got to meet him a few years ago and he told me great things about Jim and the guys being so nice.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 3:30:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2014 3:31:30 PM PST
Dean says:
So I would think that that pretty much raps it up and that The Doors are washed up now because Robby Krieger and the drummer are the only ones left, yes we lost a great talent when Morrison died many years ago thier music will live on. New generation are discovering anew, my fave album of all time is the Doors Live double CD that includes the 'Alive She Cried' album on it and LA Woman is my second favorite.

Same thing goes for Jimi Hendrix.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 3:57:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2014 3:58:35 PM PST
Yes I agree, that about sums up the Doors. A friend of mine met John Densmore last summer on his book signing tour. I wish I had went. He said John was a really cool nice guy. I have Johns new book and signed. There are not many people left from that time in music history, they are passing away and soon there will be no one left to tell us these great stories from the people who were there. Imagine all the things Jim and Jimi etc.. could tell us if they were here.. Heidi

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2014 4:01:28 PM PST
Dean says:
I wanna get this video but even a used version seems a bit steep at the moment, I found a Motorhead Live concert on here the other day for less than $3 bucks.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›