1.0 out of 5 stars Drops Calls and has very poor signal strenght and reception!, February 16, 2011
This review is from: Apple iPhone 4 Black Smartphone 32GB (AT&T) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I loved this phone but had to return it because it dropped 80% of the calls I made. I had an LG Chocolate and it never droped a call. If you compare the signal strength of this phone with others it will be less and I showed the guy in the Gastonia NC store how it had two bars less that my LG and the Droid X on display. I even bought a $300 signal booster which got it up to 4 bars at my office and it still dropped calls. Verizon told me the antenna is in the stainless edge and a holder might help. I decided to exchange it for the Droid X which seems to have a better antenna and signal strength. In my opinion, the product is not ready for market. Before you buy, compare the number of bars (signal) with your current phone and others you may be considering. Btw, tech service and customer service were awesome and they troubleshot the problem for over 3 hours. After I realized it was the Iphone4, they were happy to exchange it within the 15 day window. It was quite an inconvenience to exchange the phone and there was a $35 restocking fee, but it was better than the alternative of living with dropped calls for the next 2 years. Sorry for the bad review, but if you can't complete a call what good is having the coolest phone in town?

BTW, I tried to leave this review on Verizon and after I left a 1 star review I was redirected to another page and the review didn't take. After that I tried again several times and it said in the address bar "forbidden" when I clicked on leave a review. I guess that would explain why the phone has a 5 star review on their site. Don't believe it, try it yourself. How unfair is that to consumers?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2011 9:31:16 AM PST
Dude , i think is a service issue that u have, im from Venezuela using an iphone 4 with Movistar , and the signal is up always, never drop calls either, is a shame that u have a bad xperience with this cellphone

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 9:29:51 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 13, 2011 9:54:31 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 27, 2011 6:16:38 PM PDT
ArtDeco says:
Keep in mind, the reception bars on each manufacturer's phones are calibrated differently, so any two phone models won't necessarily show the same reading. The signal strength meters are tweaked by each manufacturer, to display whatever they want it to display. But you've obviously had a bad experience: an iPhone is not for you. :) I know several people who own Droids, and love them. I'm very happy that you've found a phone that works well for you!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2011 7:15:45 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 13, 2011 9:54:48 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 7:37:42 AM PDT
Dman says:
I really don't appreciate being called a liar. I have no reason to lie and explained that I loved the phone otherwise. I got my info from a verizon employee at their Gastonia NC store where I spent 2 hours explaining the problem. I have friends with the Iphone 4 and some of them have experience the same problem while others report no problems. I don't plan to respond to any further rude commments. I will say that the Droid has not dropped one call but is exceptionally difficult to get used to coming from an LG Chocolate. While the Iphone is completely intutitive, basic things like deleting your browsing history on the Droid will force you to visit a Droid help forum it's just so complicated. Not sure why folks are getting upset on my review, it's nothing but honest.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 11:04:15 AM PDT
ArtDeco says:
"[In iOS4] over half of the range of possible signal levels in dBm (from -99 dBm to -51 dBm) is reported as 5 bars."
"Just about everyone knows that although reporting signal strength in bars gets the job done, it's an absolutely worthless metric for comparison across devices and platforms due to lack of standardization. Further, iOS smoothes the quality metric with a moving average over as much as 10 seconds, masking how fast signal changes."
Ghengis: Why would he lie? And who cares? I get great reception in San Diego, but if I made most of my calls at my workplace (that has lousy reception), I'd be able to honestly say 80% of my calls got dropped. Just be happy for the guy, that he found a phone that works. I own an iPhone 4, and I love it. :)

Posted on May 12, 2011 6:37:36 PM PDT
Zozimus says:
So let me get this straight... you are having poor reception with the Verizon iPhone 4 (CDMA), so you decided to give a one star review for the AT&T iPhone 4 (GSM)!?!

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2011 9:57:25 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 13, 2011 9:54:54 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2011 7:38:08 AM PDT
Dman says:
Do me a few favors @Ghen. 1, read my review again thoroughly... I explained that Verizon kindly replaced the phone and I had the same issues with the second Iphone. Second, Google the phrase "iphone drops calls". You will see millions of people reporting the same problem. Apple and Verizon do and excellent job of covering it up. And just so you know, as soon as the problem is fixed, hopefully with the next generation Iphone, I will try it again. In the meantime, I'm slowly adjusting to my Droid. The other point is I use my phone primarily as a phone so I notice dropped calls fast, unlike many of my friends who primarily text and use app's. Oh, and I love my signal bootser and would highly recommend it <zBoost YX545 SOHO Dual-Band Cell Phone Signal Booster>. It was for my office which is a metal frame building, so I needed it anyway. 3. Don't confuse my comments on signal strength with dropped calls. I think I clearly said the Iphone was dropping the calls with full signal strength. Verizon said I was holding it wrong and need an edge guard. That, was the last straw and when I went to the Droid. Verizon was great to work with, but then again I'm paying them like $180/mth with my family plan, lol! BTW, whatever happened to respecting other people's opinions and common courtesy? @Ghen, you come off as bully who calls everyone a liar that doesn't agree with him. IMHO, it ruins your credibility.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2011 2:29:50 PM PDT