3.0 out of 5 stars Best Android Tablet to date but has issues, July 31, 2013
This review is from: Nexus 7 from Google (7-Inch, 32 GB, Black) by ASUS (2013) Tablet (Personal Computers)
***(Updated 8-30-2013)

I have both the Original Nexus 7 and Second Generation Nexus 7 and I've been using the new Nexus 7 constantly for over 3 weeks now.

ISSUES:
***GPS - Issue resolved with Android Build Number JSS15Q
There was an issue with all Nexus 7 FHD Tablets where the GPS location would freeze and the only way to get it working again was to reboot the tablet.

Wifi - In my home the new Nexus has issues finding and connecting to my home network and it drops occasionally despite not having this issue with my old Nexus 7 (running 4.1), TV, PS3 and other devices on my WiFi in the area.
***This is a confirmed issue with Android 4.3, not the Nexus 7 FHD. I've experienced the same issue on my old Nexus 7 once I updated it to 4.3 and it has never had a Wifi issue before now.

Initial Reboot Issue - The first night using the new tablet I was playing a game when it just instantly powered off mid-game. When I booted it back up I got a "Enter password to decrypt Storage message" despite never decrypting or setting a password on anything. There was no way to get past this screen short of restoring the entire tablet back to factory condition which was relatively simple but I lost everything I had on my tablet at that point.
*** I still get a random reboot in the middle of using my tablet every couple of weeks but haven't had to rebuild it yet

OBSERVATIONS:

*** Battery - One key difference I'd like to point out as a major advantage over the old Tablet isn't as much the battery life which lasts slightly longer than the old Nexus 7, but the fact you can use the tablet while it is plugged into the charger and it will slowly CHARGE, while the old Tablet would slowly DRAIN. This is important for power users and people who will be using it for long periods to watch movies/Netflix etc.

Look and feel - I love the way the new Nexus feels in your hand compared to the old one. The difference in the width makes holding the new nexus in your hand much more comfortable. It is slightly longer however and I wish they had taken the opportunity to shorten it as well.

Screen - Everyone has been saying how noticeably better the screen is but honestly despite having a much higher resolution and pixel density I haven't been able to see a marked difference although the new screen is definitely brighter. I've played Netflix side by side with the old one on the same show and they look identical in every way. I've tested dozens of websites side by side now and there is no discernible difference between the screens when viewing web content. I haven't had a chance to try out any non-streaming movies yet but I think for every day usage you're not going to notice a difference when comparing it to the old Nexus 7. This isn't because the new screen is bad, only that the old Nexus 7 has an excellent screen and there are rapidly diminishing degrees of noticeability beyond that point.

Camera - The new camera for a 5MP camera actually takes pretty fair shots and I'm glad they included it. They actually look better than the photos taken with the 5MP camera on my Galaxy Nexus and the new Nexus 7 is much better at taking low light shots.

Speakers - In my Netflix test I could detect slightly better sound on the new Nexus in stereo but it was barely noticeable to me. The difference between the two is hardly worth mentioning and neither one is going to give you any sort of quality sound.

Performance - This is where the new Nexus is noticeably faster and the UI feels more responsive. I tested out several games that would be choppy on my old Nexus at times and experienced none of that on the new Nexus. One thing I haven't seen people note however is that although the new GPU is approximately 4 times faster, the resolution on the new Nexus has 2.3 times the pixels so your true performance increase from a hardware perspective graphically is going to be less than double, similar to the CPU performance increase. There has never been a time where I experienced any latency, stuttering or hesitance on the New Nexus 7, it operates flawlessly in this regard

Operating System - 4.3 Android was just pushed to my old Nexus 7 last night. This includes TRIM support which is one of the reasons many people experienced a slow down with time on their old Nexus (which I never have experienced since I wasn't a heavy installer/uninstaller). The update also includes Open GLES 3.0 so it is possible that games will run smoother on the old Nexus as well. Nothing really to contrast here now.

HDMI Out (With Slimport Adapter) - I picked up a new Slimport adapater and the HDMI out functionality works flawlessly, but when you plug in your AC charger into it, the Nexus 7 only registers it as "USB" charging which still slowly drains the battery. I tested it using Netflix against my Playstation 3 on my Samsung 52" 1080P TV running the same show and the two looked and sounded identical with the exception of the Nexus 7 having a slightly clipped black border around the edges of the Television. I tested it for an hour with the charger plugged in and lost 8% Battery so as long as you start using it with a full battery you shouldn't run into issues there.

PROs:
Better form factor and higher quality "feel"
Noticable Performance Improvements
HDMI Out (With Slimport adapter)
Improved Battery Life and more efficient power useage
5 MP Front facing Camera
Brighter screen with a higher pixel density

CONs:
Wifi Issues
Occasional Reboots
More Expensive than old Nexus 7

SUMMARY: If you currently own a Nexus 7 I would say the extra expense isn't worth the marginal upgrades unless you need something the new one in particular offers(HDMI Out/Front Facing Camera). In my case I'm giving my old Nexus 7 to my wife so my upgrade serves a dual purpose. If you don't currently own an android tablet or want a small form factor tablet then this tablet is the best money can buy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 15 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 104 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 1, 2013 6:39:17 PM PDT
K. Krueger says:
I've had terrible problems with the unit crashing and losing ALL settings, and I've experienced WiFi problems as well. On initial setup, it couldn't connect to WiFi until a reboot.

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 9:09:34 PM PDT
Debt Free says:
"Marginal upgrades?" With all due respect, the screen itself is a massive improvement and well worth the price over the old Nexus 7.

Massive. And I don't have a single issue you report. Perhaps yours is defective? Don't know, but mine is perfect.

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 10:28:26 PM PDT
Adam says:
I'm skeptic about comparing video quality of the the two tablets on Netflix. Maybe Netflix is playing the same quality on both. I think a little more reliable test is required.

Posted on Aug 1, 2013 10:37:31 PM PDT
Another "Pro" of the new over the old, that is not in your list, but in your review, would be the rear camera. I have had the original Nexus 7 since I pre-ordered it when it was first available, and have loved it. I am debating on giving it to my son and getting the new one this weekend with the added incentive it is tax free weekend here in North Carolina, so I can buy it locally with no tax.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2013 10:48:40 PM PDT
Ezareth says:
I don't disagree that the screen has a vastly higher resolution and pixel density, I just can't see a noticeable difference and I have perfect vision. Trust me I'm a big fan of large resolutions, I've been using a single 2560X1600 monitor on my home computer for 6 years now and there is a massive difference between that monitor and the 1920X1080 monitors I use at work. The screen was one of the biggest reasons I bought the Nexus 7 and I was expecting everything to be sharper and clearer. The real problem is the old Nexus 7 already had an excellent screen and a high pixel density so the human eye has issues noticing improvements beyond a point.

Remember this is my experience and I'm not telling people not to buy the Tablet, I'm only saying if you're upgrading on strictly the improvements then you'll probably experience a bit of a let down on this front as I did. It isn't the fault of the new Nexus 7, it is my fault as I had unrealistic expectations.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2013 10:50:33 PM PDT
Ezareth says:
I Agree, I missed that in my PROs.

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 6:05:01 AM PDT
You mention HDMI out as a pro. Does the 7 inch model have it? If yes, did you try it?

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 11:08:55 PM PDT
Hi, you mentioned the HDMI Out in the new Nexus. I just picked mine yesterday and don't see HDMI Out, unless the charging USB port can be used for HDMI connection. Can you please elaborate? And thanks for the nice review. I also had the first Nexus 7 with 16gb, but sold it to get the latest with 32gb
Though, I will agree with you with all the facts, I am glad I made this choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2013 9:23:02 AM PDT
VL says:
SlimPort® SP1002; Connect mobile devices to any big screen. High Speed micro USB (male) to HDMI (female) connector cable (4.26cm x 2.21cm x 0.99cm)-Supports Full HD and 3D at 1080p @60Hz, 24bpp

Yup, the HDMI output on the 2013 Nexus 7 is via the micro-USB port. It uses a technology called SlimPort / Mobility DisplayPort (MyDP) and you have to buy an adapter similar to the one linked above.

Posted on Aug 8, 2013 10:09:51 AM PDT
I remember how the 1st gen Nexus 7 blew my mind with how good it was. Until my toddler niece shattered the screen :'( So I was really looking forward to getting the new one which I did on day one. Underwhelmed is an understatement :\ As the post says, I notice no big difference in the screen quality. And the longer form factor is just real odd. I'm disappointed :(
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›