5.0 out of 5 stars Creative Juicing, May 20, 2009
This review is from: The Big Book of Juices: More Than 400 Natural Blends for Health and Vitality Every Day (Hardcover)
In the past few months I've read quite a few books on juicing. "The Big Book of Juices" is one of the most creative books I've seen so far. The fruit and vegetable blends are especially delicious. Who would have thought that grapefruit would go so well with carrots and celery. I've also never seen anyone blend broccoli with pears. Yet these all seem to work well. I especially enjoyed making the juice with passionfruit, orange juice and seltzer.

While you need a juicer for most of the recipes there are also some recipes for your blender. If you are feeling adventurous you might enjoy making a spicy drink made from chai tea, peaches, vanilla and yogurt. Most of the smoothie recipes use yogurt. The only thing you have to do first is to juice some of the fruit before you add it to the blender with the yogurt. Other fruits like mango and papaya are better just added to the blender as they don't juice as well. Specific instructions are not given on each recipe so you have to read the instructions at the start of the book and at the start of each chapter. Instead of instructions the author just gives a few sentences to inspire you to make the drink. This works well for individuals who have already been juicing for a few months but is not as helpful for someone new to juicing. From my own experience I learned to peel most fruits, especially citrus fruits. You will also want to peel mangoes, pineapple and papaya.

The last section in the book contains some recipes using sparkling mineral water. There are also some recipes for teas made with fresh herbs. There is an interesting tea made with licorice and mint. If you are looking for something to calm you at the end of the day there is a tea made with lemongrass, cardamom, orange zest, chamomile and mint. Unlike the other recipes, instructions are given for most of the recipes in the "Thirst Quenchers" section.

The recipes using lime sorbet are perfect for the summer if you don't mind a little sugar with your fruit drinks. For the most part all the drinks are sweetened with the natural fruit juice combinations. Quite a few of the drinks are flavored with ginger. You can always add a packet of stevia which is a natural sweetener.

This is a book you will use day after day! The pictures of the juices are beautiful and you might be intrigued by all the different shaped glasses the author found to display the juices in. If you have been juicing at least a few months then you will love this book. If you are just starting your juicing journey, try a few of the books listed at the end of this review - they were very helpful to me when I started juicing.

If you want to freeze some of the smoothie recipes try these: Kidco Healthy Snack Frozen Treat Trays

Other books you might enjoy - these books will teach
you the basics of juicing:

Juiceman's Power of Juicing

Ultimate Juicing: Delicious Recipes for Over 125 of the Best Fruit & Vegetable Juice Combinations

The Juice Lady's Juicing for High Level Wellness and Vibrant Good Looks

Juicing for Health

The Juicing Bible

~The Rebecca Review

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 11, 2010 7:33:02 PM PDT
Wandrwoman says:
Good review Rebecca! I own the book and I agree with almost everything you've written.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2010 7:31:01 PM PDT
Thank you. Let me know if you review it too. :)

Posted on Mar 7, 2011 9:20:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2011 9:22:31 AM PST
Kokopelli says:
Great review! I just ordered a juicer in part of my current plan to get healthier, and I looked over the juicer books, and your review sold me on this one. Thanks for the detailed information about the recipes and also the mention of other books to consider!

I wish I knew which juicer you have and what you think of the various ones available. I was only willing to spring for a smaller, cheaper one, but it did have an excellent rating (the Breville Compact for $99). Darn it! I just realized I should have looked up all your reviews and tried to find ones on the machines. Oh well, experience is the best teacher, eh? I think I'll take a peep now to see if I got the right or wrong one.... :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2011 4:13:57 PM PST
ASIN: B003ILJ4CI - this is the juicer I have. It is very affordable and
works great.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 8:10:02 AM PST
Kokopelli says:
Thanks for your answer! Unfortunately, that number didn't bring anything up. At the risk of bugging you, can you tell me what brand it is, please?

Thank you in advance.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2011 4:21:18 PM PST
Black & Decker Fruit & Vegetable Juicer Extractor

It looks like they are out of stock. You may want to look for Black and Decker Fruit and Vegetable Juicer for
more options.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 6:57:20 AM PST
Kokopelli says:
I had already ordered the Breville Compact juicer when I saw your book. I got the Breville yesterday and, of course, had to immediately start juicing. I did a grapefruit and an apple together, and it was great. Then I got desperate (haven't been to the store in the last few days) and did carrots and broccoli: not quite such a hit. The carrots alone would have been better, but the broccoli was just sitting there being ignored, so I threw it in. Anyway, the juicer worked very well, although it was a little scary the first time I hit "on". I hope I get the book today. I love Amazon's delivery time, which is usually a couple of days at most (one-click two-day, free on Prime).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 3:17:46 PM PST
I find broccoli and herbs like basil don't juice very well. Try
kale, cucumber, carrots, green onions, tomatoes and celery.
I then add in some garlic powder and cayenne to give it
some flavor. For fruit drinks I think pineapple, apples and
oranges go together well. The possibilities are really
endless. I just go to the store now and pick up
fruits and veggies that looks good and experiement
with all sorts of combinations.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2011 8:38:19 PM PST
Kokopelli says:
Thanks for the advice! I'm going to the store tomorrow!

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 10:47:52 AM PST
I've never written a comment regarding someone's review before. I wanted to thank you for a clearly written, succinct review. I chose "The Juiceman's Power of Juicing", based on your review. I am a "brand new newbie" to juicing. I'd like to lose 40 lbs quickly, and I want to feel well doing it. I look forward to reading other reviews you have written.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›