4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back, memories!, January 7, 2011
This review is from: Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe (Software)
This software does what it says: it helped me convert my old VHS home movies to DVD. Yay! The software has two settings: 1) The basic mode works smoothly and simply. 2) The advanced mode was incredibly S-L-O-W on my computer, but it works if you're patient.

Basically, you install the software on your computer, then hook up your VCR (or camcorder) to the conversion box, which you then connect to your computer via USB. The box includes all the cords you need. The software has a preview screen so you can see what's playing/recording right on your computer screen.

Basic Mode: You record directly from the VHS to a blank DVD in your computer's DVD burner. As the movie plays, it burns. It saves the digital file in a temp folder, so you can immediately create more than one DVD of the same movie without having to run through it all over again. (But once you say you're done, it deletes the temp file.) The finished product doesn't have a menu or chapter points. It records exactly what's on the VHS from beginning to end. Simple and easy.

Advanced Mode: This converts your VHS into a digital .mpg file and saves it on your computer. You can then assemble clips, add music, add menus and chapter points (for navigation), etc. Then once you've assembled everything, you burn it to a DVD. This mode is super-duper slow on my computer, and it froze up a couple of times. But it works if you're patient.

(There's a third setting that you can use to transfer audio from LP or cassette to a CD. But I haven't tried this.)

One note about transferring video to DVD: While watching the preview screen, it will seem like the audio is out of sync with the video. But when we play the DVDs back on our TV, it matches up fine.

I've transferred 7 tapes so far. Overall, it does what it says. I do wish the advanced mode worked more smoothly, but for now I'm just thrilled it works, and that I can finally watch -- and share -- my old home movies!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 22, 2011 4:56:53 PM PDT
BD says:
Thanks for a simple, understandable explanation of how you've been able to use the product.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 6:58:33 AM PST
I am not able to use my vcr anymore. Can I use this connverter w/o a vcr? I have a Sanyo which will turn on but won't play. I don't know why because neither Sanyo nor Comcast will discuss it. Help

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 6:32:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2011 6:33:15 AM PST
LeoCatz says:
Arline, you will not be able to transfer VHS tapes to digital files without having a means to play the tapes. So you will need a VCR. If your has died, perhaps you could ask around... I'll bet you have some friend or family with one in the attic. Fortunately, unlike digital video with multiple options and connections, VCRs ended up being quite standard and interchangable... so almost anyone you can find should work for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2012 2:37:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2012 2:48:04 PM PST
firefire says:
What if the VCR plays but the picture is all snow on the TV monitor??? When the tape is still good and has played good before???

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 2:24:24 PM PST
Mike H says:
@Firefire: Make sure you have it on the correct channel. Most VCR's have a selection of Channel 3 or 4 for their signal output, you must also match the television channel to Channel 3 or 4 as well.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 4:59:34 AM PDT
C Falt says:
Can you transfer and edit the footage on the VHS? I do not want to transfer directly to DVD, I want to edit it. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 9:10:04 AM PDT
You can still get vcrs, but you have to buy them used on craigslist or at yard sales.

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 9:19:13 AM PDT
I don't know much about video formats, but it seems like the directory structure is different than the normal windows directory. When I look at it in VLC Media player, I see folders like "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS". When I look at the DVD in my Windows Explorer, I don't see any files or folders. This tells me that the format of the commercial DVDs is different than our normal computer formats.
If we are creating a video file that we copy from our computer, then I would assume it is NOT in the same format as the commerical DVDS, but rather, in a data format readable by computers.
Will the DVDs this creates be playable on the cheap DVD players my family picks up at the discount stores? When I go to the electronics section of this discount stores, the boxes for the DVDs list all kinds of formats that they play, but I don't know which ones are which. All I know is that the formats that are for the DVD players are differnt from the formats for computers.

Does this product make a DVD that cheap DVD players can read, fast-forward, skip to the next chapter, etc, play?

THanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 9:36:11 PM PDT
I was wondering the same thing; I don't necessarily want everything I transfer only to be burned right onto a DVD. But I believe the author of this review stated that you could edit and save files on your computer in the "advanced" mode.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 12:36:49 PM PST
Julmarg says:
I like the ease of use of the product as well. My only problem was the video transferred over in black and white. I know it is in colour as I can still view it through the TV. I tried 4 tapes, all captured in colour but the whole lot came through on my computer in black and white. Has anyone else had this problem?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (1,054 customer reviews)

$69.95 $44.99