2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - Shoud have learned control scheme from Wii Fit, May 22, 2008
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: We Ski - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
As an avid skier, I was excited for a long time knowing that this game and Wii fit were coming out.

Perhaps my mistake was that I first tried out Wii Fit, which includes an excellent slalom race mode which not only looks at your left-right balance, but also at your forward aft (especially for speed control).

I then hurried to open my new copy of Wii Ski, expecting to get the same, but with more challenges, more depth, and a whole mountain to explore.

Boy, I can't hide my disappointment: instead of adapting the same control scheme from Wii Fit, the balance board support seems like an afterthought. Your movements on the balance board roughly translate into left and right, not as fluently as on Wii fit, but THERE IS NO FORE/AFT SUPPORT ! In other words, it doesn't matter if you lean forward or back, crouch, wedel, carve, etc. (things that the balance board can actually track), you only get left or right.

You use a button for plowing (board could have easily detected that), a button for wedling.

Worse of all, you have no speed control from the balance board. In fact, the game is excruciatingly slow even when you're barreling down the mountain. To get any speed at all, you have to use both nunchuck and wiimote as poles, but it feels like cross-country skiing. I got a ton of exercise just swinging them to get to a crawling speed going straight down a black diamond. What gives?

I don't expect a real ski simulator, but I expected much better use of the balance board.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2008 6:40:42 AM PDT
Robert Baksa says:
If accurate (and I have no reason to believe it's not), this insightful review will keep me from wasting $30!

Posted on May 24, 2008 8:37:38 AM PDT
pretty sure you have to "tuck" the controls to gain speed, not push off. that's what another review i read said, anyway.

Posted on May 24, 2008 11:19:03 AM PDT
A. Jacobs says:
Thanks for the honest and thorough review. I was excited about this realease, but I also have wii fit and enjoyed the skiing game. I think I will pass on this.

Posted on May 24, 2008 1:12:26 PM PDT
K. Hebert says:
I had the exact same experience. My thoughts exactly.

Posted on May 24, 2008 11:24:54 PM PDT
Gone Fishin says:
Thank you for telling us that. I would have expected exactly the same as you. As a matter of fact, I was seriously considering buying the game until I read this review. The Wii fit is great and it is just sad that this game doesn't take advantage of the Wii balance board. What a major mistake. They need to fix that and soon!

Posted on Jun 2, 2008 3:12:23 PM PDT
R. Kleeberg says:
You actually gain speed by going into a crouch using the controllers. If you do the ski school or read the manual it shows you that. I can get flying down the mountain. As for using the wii fit I have not gotten mine yet since it got lost in the shipment but I knew from reviews (which I always read before buying) that it was not going to take full advantage of the board.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2008 10:51:41 AM PDT
Sharbysyd says:
Thanks for letting us know. I was considering buying this game - especially after seeing how much I like the downhill skiing on the Wii Fit. It's good to know that this isn't anywhere near as good.

Posted on Jun 30, 2008 6:46:01 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 30, 2008 6:46:23 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 2, 2008 11:24:45 AM PDT
T. V. Davis says:
Thanks for saving me moola! I was going to get this, but a big thing for me is the forward/back sensing of the balance board. I understand from other posts that you can do more using the Wiimote, but that kinda defeats the purpose, in my book. I too expected much better use of the balance board.

Posted on Jul 7, 2008 7:54:53 AM PDT
R. Homa says:
Nowhere on the package does this indicate that it's supposed to be an authentic skiing simulator. People need to remember that WeSki is a *video game* and not everything is going to be just like the real thing. A few friends and I, who have no skiing ability whatsoever, spent over 3 hours playing this game on a Sunday afternoon and we had a blast skiing around and completing the different challenges, laughing hysterically at the group photos, and getting a little exercise in at the same time.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (181 customer reviews)

$32.99