1.0 out of 5 stars Look for a book that is less frustrating, October 4, 2010
This review is from: Murach's C++ 2008 (Murach: Training & Reference) (Paperback)
This book was chosen for the class I am taking because it has a 5 star rating. I find this book extremely frustrating to use, the code has no comments, and as I am enduring it, currently I am in Chapter 13, I finally had to write a comment.

The explanations for most topics are as short as possible. There have been many times that I have not understood how to do something that is required in the exercise, and the topic is either not in the index, or the topic is covered several chapters in advance of where you are required to use it. Several times I have asked my instructor if I was simply not understanding or if I had glossed over the topic, and he could not find the explanations in the book either.

I am currently in chapter 13, as I said. The author provides solutions to each exercise, presumably to replace the need to clearly explain the topics introduced. The 'solution' code for chapter 13 compiles, but does not run, I get run time errors when the code reaches ArgumentException messages. Incidently, the ArgumentException messages are one of the topics covered in Chapter 13, only to not work in the author's code. This is only one of many of the frustrations I have experienced with this book.

When I am done with this class, I will have to find another C++ book that covers the items that I am supposed to be learning. I am wasting my time slugging through this book, but obviously don't have much of a choice since I am in a class that is using it.

Save yourself some time and hours of frustration. Find a better book.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 9, 2010 9:13:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 18, 2010 11:40:05 PM PDT
Greetings, K. Stevens --

I checked out the solution code of chapter 13 under both C++ 2008 and C++ 2010, and found that it compiles and runs successfully. Every book example and exercise is thoroughly reviewed before it's released. Following Murach's unique factor of paired-pages presentation, code on a right page is explained on the left page.

Your strong reaction of frustration suggests that you may have been unaware that the entire book is in paired pages. If you haven't already done so, please read the 4-page introduction that gives a you a concise summary of the book's overall organization. The first time I picked up a Murach book, I didn't realize this. Every topic was done in two facing pages. I couldn't believe it! I'm now an "evangelist" of their books.

Having worked with Mike Murach & Associates for more than 2 years, I'm absolutely convinced that it's not possible to get a bad book past the diligent eyes of their editor, Anne Boehm. This publisher is a small company that can't afford to make mistakes.

I trust that after due consideration of the above, you'll come to a more favorable conclusion about the book, revise your review, and join the community of other satisfied Murach's C++ readers.

If you wish, please email contact information to pren@pobox.com.

Best regards,
Pren Knowlton, author
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (22 customer reviews)

$52.50 $44.49