1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, January 22, 2012
This review is from: Bloodrose (Nightshade) (Hardcover)
While I did not review the first two books, I feel obliged to do so for this one. I am--or was--livid about this book. I read "Nightshade" in a day and a half, and that was the second go-round because I wanted a refresher on the plot before reading the finale. I was truly liking this unique world of Searchers, Keepers, and Guardians. The mythology behind it all and the revelations were also very interesting as well. Calla Tor proved to be a strong character--but I feel that she was the only one I liked in the first book. "Wolfsbane" I forced myself to read because, my God, it was "What is this, what is that, what's this mean?" So many questions! What happened to show, don't tell?

Anyway, onto "Bloodrose," and I do hope I don't sound too harsh.

*SPOILERS*

I was glad Ren was back in the picture. He hardly showed up in the second book, and was flew off his character rail you couldn't see him. The few quests for the Cross pieces was a neat, adventurous twist. I liked the settings: an ice mountain, underwater cavern, inside a volcano. I've watched this author's writing improve, fall, and improve again throughout the novels. The descriptions, scenery wise, did not disappoint for me.

Now, it might be because I am an aspiring author myself, but I found the main character, Calla, to be infuriating. She jerked Ren's and Shay's chains. She toyed with them and failed to convince me that she was the "one and only alpha." Seriously? Show me, then. Don't tell me, else I'll roll my eyes. Calla's narrative voice bordered on "oh, woe is me!" so much at times that my attention slipped. The emotional conflict was lacking; I knew who she chose already. She chose way back in book number one--so why continue the triangle?

Oh, the triangle.

Let's look at that: Calla, Shay, and Ren. I loved Ren. He was dark and complicated; a puzzle I wanted solved. Shay on the other hand, well, I wish he just died up on that mountain. Let's hear it for the bear, it had the right idea all along. Shay has to be the most irritating, I-need-to-slap-you-right-now type of character ever. Really. The last time I hated a character this much was when I read "Breaking Dawn" (I know, what was I thinking?) and had to endure Bella and her damn unfortunate world. *vomit* Shay is manipulative, needs constant reassurance of Calla's "love" for him. (Can it be love? How about lust, obsession, or, golly gosh, a crush?) He did not come off as an alpha. I simply called him Scion. (Actually, I called him a lot worse, in my opinion, but I won't say.)

The Scion had this big and bad supposed uncle to take down. I was all ready for an epic battle. The author's fight scenes were usually entertaining (except I refuse to believe that wolves squeal.) and I liked that some baddies got what was coming for them. But an ending battle needs to be heart pounding, an edge of your seat type of scene where the book is glued to your hands. I read it in school and my thoughts were "Wow, he's a freaky guy," instead of "Must read! What happens?!"

However before the battle, I need to talk about this. The death of a very important character. (I said spoilers but I won't say who, as other reviews have already stated who it is.) I mean, seriously? That was it? Calla did not seem mournful, Shay was a fool, needing reassurance again. (Grow a spine, Shay. Be strong, boy.) And what about the epilogue? The sudden third-person threw me off and made me cringe. No offense to Ms. Cremer, but I was far from impressed on the epilogue. I never liked that specific character, and she read as just flat. I didn't care about her once she had her own issue resolved, made her sacrifice, and yes, got her own happy ending. Still. Boring. Move on with your life.

All in all, it was a fairly entertaining read. I blew through the books--but I was always a fast reader. I still have my quibbles on things, but have appeased myself with reading "Shiver," a very recommended werewolf book. I wanted to see an epic conclusion. I wanted the deaths to mean something, instead of a name being mentioned in passing. ("Oh, yeah! He died. Let me cry for three-seconds.) I wanted to close the book--shut off the Kindle, though I am somehow reviewing a hardcover. Oops.--with a satisfied feeling. I rolled my eyes at this ending. It just didn't feel on the level that meant a trilogy, all conflict, and every other damn thing was resolved. A happy ending. It didn't leave me with the feeling of caring about the characters any longer. They were just names, people, wolves, on a page. Other books have wrenched emotion from me, and this just flatlined for me.

My last words: Read if you have already read the first two, but unless you're not as critical as me, you will be disappointed.

[Add comment]