Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

2.0 out of 5 stars I am dispointed, March 25, 2012
This review is from: SanDisk Ultra 32GB SDHC Class 10/UHS-1 Flash Memory Card Speed Up To 30MB/s- SDSDU-032G-U46 (Label May Change) [Old Version] (Personal Computers)
I have this Sandisk Ultra 32GB class 10 30MB/s SD card. I have to say I am totally dispointed. It's SLOOOW. I did two speed tests.

First test was performed on a computer using a software named "CrystalDiskMark". I ran the test with 3 different SD cards on the same pc with same equipments and same setting.
Results:
Sandisk Ultra 32GB class 10 30MB/s SD card, Read 19.93MB/s and write 11.99MB/s.
Sandisk Extreme III 4GB class 6 SD (5 year old card), Read 18.67MB/s and write 16.67MB/s.
Transcend 16GB class 10 SD (8 month old), Read 18.74MB and write 17.25MB.

Second test was performed on Canon T3i DSLR with the same 3 SD cards tested above. In this test I set my DSLR to burst mode and TV mode with 1/50 sec. Within 30 seconds interval, I want to see how many pictures in RAW format my camera can shoot.
Results:
Sandisk Ultra 32GB class 10 30MB/s, 24 shots.
Sandisk Extreme III 4GB class 6, 34 shots
Transcend 16GB class 10, 33 shots.

Conclusion:
As you can see this Sandisk Ultra card havs higher read speed. I belived my card reader is max out at 20MB/s. that's why it show 19.9MB/s read speed. However for a digital camera and camcorder, the write speed is more important than the read speed. Both tests clearly show that the Sandisk Ultra only meets class 10 rating but far behind the other two cards. The cheaper Transcend card can outperform this ultra card easily in write speed.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 2, 2012 7:53:28 AM PDT
Anonymous says:
A "Class 10" card is only required to read/write at 10 MB/s. Your tests show the card performed better than Class 10 specs, so it's unfair to complain the card should perform beyond it's specifications.

"Sandisk Ultra 32GB class 10 30MB/s SD card, Read 19.93MB/s and write 11.99MB/s."

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 8:24:03 AM PDT
Raj says:
Thank you for posting the comparison. Even though it can be classified as class 10, it is not for people like you and me who already have Sandisk Extreme cards (lower capacity though) and are looking for something better.
The "Class" specification is a joke now - like output power for home theater system :-)

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 12:43:10 PM PDT
Uncle Willie says:
Thanks for the review. Transcend has always done right by me but I have wondered about the more expensive Sandisk card. Your data shows that the grass is not always greener, even when the other grass is more expensive.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 12:29:40 PM PDT
Wei says:
I admit that it meets class 10. However I am dispointed about the part "up to 30MB/s".

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 11:13:34 PM PDT
Haily says:
Do you think this applies to all of the manufactured Sandisc Ultra 32 GB class 10, or is it this card in particular? I am not too familiar with memory cards, and am unsure which to buy.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 2:09:13 AM PDT
A. Blancarte says:
Wow. Maybe I will stick to the Transcend cards after all :) Great Performance/Price ratio
I have the same 16GB class 10 Transcend and tested it out with the same software.
5 passes with 500MB Test Size: Read: 19.12MB/s, Write: 16.58MB/s

It's good to see some numbers sometimes...thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 6:09:12 AM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
I tested a Sandisk Ultra 32 GB class 6 microSDHC claiming speeds to 30 MB/s with this same CrystalDiskMark and a Transcend ExpressCard reader. The card met its class rating with write speed > 8 MB/s, which did not surprise me. What DID surprise me was the tested READ speed > 45 MB/s. I repeated the test with the same result. This suggests to me that Sandisk throttles the write speeds of its Ultra series. Why it does this, I don't know. Could it be for guaranteed compatibility with some cameras?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 5:36:32 PM PDT
I agree with your findings. I have bought 2 of these and both were dissappointing. For the price you pay, you expect much better. I returned them and bought the HP 32Gbyte which performed just as well but at a fraction of the cost. A lot of people recommend these cards but few ever actually test them. You just can't buy into the hype.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 12:29:04 PM PDT
Don0 says:
Awesome review. Thanks for providing such detailed information.

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 2:30:16 PM PDT
Ant-Man says:
thanks for the comparison 'by the numbers'___proving to us that a 'regular' class 10 is as good or better than an 'ulta' or 'extreme' class 10---they use those words to insinuate a product is 'better than the rest' of the cards in the same class---and charge more for the fancy 'ultra' and 'extreme'- and some people will pay more- you sharing your findings with us is very helpful- thanks for taking the time to run the comparisons and sharing your findings with us
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›