ARRAY(0xa746b21c)

3.0 out of 5 stars Very light, but looks a little plasticky, November 14, 2011
This review is from: Amazon Kindle Touch Leather Cover, Black (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite) (Accessory)
The Touch cover from Amazon has some good and some bad properties.

On the good side, it's very light: at 4 oz it is noticeably lighter than the previous generation of covers. My Kindle Touch fits in very snugly with no wasted space.

On the negative side, it looks and feels rather plasticky. I ordered the plain black version and the front and back outer covers are a shiny black leather. At first I thought the back exterior was simply black plastic, and it took a close examination to realize it is the same leather as the front cover. The front inner cover is a soft felt. The inner body where the Kindle sits is plastic. There is no fastener or band to hold the cover closed.

This is my fourth Kindle and cover. The Touch cover looks much more like a "gadget" cover than the earlier ones. It looks rather like an old Palm PDA cover I had, or like some ipod covers. The previous Kindle covers had a textured leather appearance and they looked more like book or notebook covers.

Right now I am having rather mixed reactions. I definitely like the fact that it adds so little weight to the Kindle. However it does look rather cheap. For $40 I was expecting a little more.

I think I am going to have to use this for a while before reaching a final conclusion.

Update November 29th: Tastes will vary, but in the end I decided that this was not the right look or feel for me and I have switched to a different cover (the Splash SAFARI). That is similar to the old Kindle 3 cover, with a textured leather appearance and an elastic fastener strap.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2011 3:17:15 PM PST
Common Sense says:
Thank you for your review and also updating with the splash case as an alternative! It is much more reasonably priced and is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you again!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 8:55:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2011 8:56:15 PM PST
Zhongying says:
Don't you guys find the splash one too heavy? 8 oz? I am kind of holding back because of the weight.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 10:10:18 AM PST
Graham says:
According to my postal scales, the Splash Safari cover weighs 4.5 ounces. I checked again on a different set of scales and got the same answer.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 4:39:49 PM PST
Jessie Ngo says:
How do you like the Splash, would you recommend it for a student? I need a cover that is slim but stylish at the same time. I hate those elastic that holds the kindle to the cover.

Posted on May 11, 2012 8:07:50 AM PDT
Julie B says:
It does not look plasticky to me and by the way smell it!!!!!!! It is real leather. The best cover I have purchased. Very light, as you say. But as you don't say VERY RICH LOOK AND FEEL!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (1,016 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01