5.0 out of 5 stars Get Down With the Sickness, March 12, 2012
This review is from: The Walking Dead: Season 2 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I read the first 12 issues of Robert Kirkman's epic graphic novel The Walking Dead back in 2006. Late fans to the story can now pick up the first 48 issues of the graphic novel in a convenient single work titled The Walking Dead: Compendium One. As of today, Kirkman has published almost 100 issues in the series (that I now anxiously check my mailbox for every month).

What's all that mean? It means that there are years and years of TV seasons ahead if AMC stays the course of excellence that it has so far done in the first two seasons. Why? Because as far as the graphic novel issue-by-issue storyline parallel to the TV series goes, I would guesstimate that the TV series is MAYBE through only about the first dozen issues.

Has the TV series taken some liberties and made changes to the story(ies) presented in the graphic novel? Sure. But are those liberties just as well told as Kirkman originally laid out? So far so good. Actually, so far: excellent! Kirkman's oversight has brought The Dead to life in this surprisingly fabulous adaptation of the graphic novel series. Why surprisingly? Because it is a rare occasion that a film or TV adaptation is as good as and so true to the source material. This is one of the best shows on TV.

The Walking Dead continues the story of (former) Police Officer Rick Grimes and his band of normal-world-refugees across a world suddenly infected by a Walking Dead sickness. Civilization has been replaced by vicious hordes of the undead. But at its core, the story is much less about zombies and more about what happens to society, its morals, laws and standards when government is lost and the planet becomes mostly uninhabitable. There's real, heartfelt emotion in The Walking Dead series combined with believable scenarios.

Rest assured, there is no lack of unfathomable chaos and horror in Season 2 of The Walking Dead...although like I said...not just because of the zombies, but mainly as a result of human survivors in desperate situations that must do the unthinkable to stay alive. Fans of the graphic novel will be screaming for Season 3 because of Season 2's final episode cliffhanger glimpse of a certain person and place to come.

The Walking Dead is a compelling, thought provoking drama. And if you can't wait until the next season, the good news is you can cheat and start reading the graphic novels if you want to get ahead.

Check it out.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 14, 2012 7:21:12 AM PDT
Monkdude says:
I loved the first season, but things have really slowed down in the second. I still enjoy the show, but I can't wait until they leave that farm!

MD

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2012 7:43:26 AM PDT
Sky says:
Hey again, MD. I can't remember...have you ever read The Walking Dead: Compendium One? If not you should. You'll see what I mean about the TV show hardly cracking the early foundations of the novel's storyline.

Sky

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 10:40:13 AM PDT
GeeBee says:
Thanks for the tip on "The Walking Dead: Compendium One". I just ordered it and look forward to being as hooked on it as I am the show.

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 6:40:33 AM PDT
**Spoiler Alert for those that never seen the Show**

I also absolutely love this show. I understand why the second season was "slow" to some people, but it was meant to really get you to know the cast and the situation in an intimate level. Are you Pro-Rick, or Pro-Shane. And "What would you do" also comes in quite a bit. Hershel brings in a moral side of the plague. What if what we know is wrong and these people can be saved (Hershel even convinced Rick this could be the case). These Walkers were once family members, friends, loved ones, co-workers, etc... Can we just kill them? This is what Season 2 was about. Or, do you put the Living first and take no chances (Shane). But something else creeps into the mix... A Darkness in the human spirit where NO chances are taken, even with the living (As seen in the town with Randall and his band). Season 2 had it's purposes, and I am sure the choices made in the first 2 season will have consequences in season 3.
I also bought the Compendium recently... can't wait til it gets here!

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 7:10:36 AM PDT
Matthew says:
Good review, the only problem with suggesting people reading the graphic novels, is that people will be confused when they see that Sophia is very much still alive in the upcoming Prison/Woodbury arc, same with Otis and other characters killed off for the sake of being killed off(For dramatic effect).

With what they did, its hard to see what they'l do next because these characters were intregal to the plot of the books lol

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 11:48:42 AM PDT
Those two characters are not even close to intregal to the plot of the books. Otis is gone once the Gov. rolls around and though still alive, Sophia is far from a major character and has no room for development as she is basically a mental patient in terms of grasping the reality of what is happening, she provides nothing to the story.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 8:38:46 AM PDT
Since1791 says:
For clarification, the show isn't even to Volume 3 yet. I love the show, I love the graphic novels, and while they differ they follow the same overarching storyline. Everyone (except my father) who I've introduced this show to loves it. Even my scaredy cat wife!

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2012 1:06:53 PM PDT
Sky says:
And Season 3 of the show is going to be awesome...especially for those that have been long awaiting certain characters. Check this out from http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2012/05/robert-kirkman-interview.php

Dispatches From the Set - Interview With Comic Creator and Series Executive Producer Robert Kirkman
Today, Mon. May 7, production of The Walking Dead Season 3 officially kicks off. Now AMCtv.com begins its series of on-set interviews with the show's talented creative team by chatting with Executive Producer Robert Kirkman about Danai Gurira's (Michonne) sword skills and the most impressive set he's ever seen on the show. (Yes, we're talking about the prison.)

Q: After two seasons, you must feel like an old pro on set. What aspects of production still surprise you?

A: One thing that's surprising me is how much I've fallen in love with Georgia. The town Senoia where we're filming is absolutely beautiful...The big change this season is we've got this amazing prison that we're filming in. It's absolutely stunning, and I never get used to being on set.

Q: What went into constructing the prison?

A: They've taken a lot of what you see in the comic book series and brought it to life in ways that I didn't think possible. This is going to be one of the most impressive looking things that's ever been put together for a show.

Q: The room in the prison with all the guns and the SWAT gear in the comic is really cool. Is that going to come up on the show?

A: We're a big fan of the SWAT gear here at The Walking Dead writer's room... maybe that's an indication that we'll be seeing that stuff in the show. It's important to us to maintain the tone of the show. Thus far [the characters] have been out on the road, desperate and living in the heat, and we don't want it to be that they're relaxing in this safe place now.

Q: With the evil Governor in the picture, does that mean the humans are the bigger threat this season?

A: The plan was always to evolve naturally into a place were the zombies essentially become a manageable threat. You know the rules. You know how to deal with them. To a certain extent they become something to not really be scared of unless you mess up. Humans, however, do not follow any rules and will always do something that surprises you and are capable of doing things far worse than trying to eat you...We're definitely going to be seeing a lot of horrible things.

Q: What can you tell us about David Morrissey's portrayal of the Governor? Have you seen him in costume yet?

A: I'm actually waiting desperately to see him dressed up in Governor mode and walking the streets of Woodbury. I think he's going to be absolutely great playing against Andrew Lincoln.

Q: Michonne was introduced in the Season 2 Finale. How are Danai Gurira's sword skills shaping up?

A: There's been quite a bit of sword training going on and [Danai] is doing an amazing job. She's going to be do all of the hard character stuff and drama that The Walking Dead is known for, but she has tremendous physical capability and the sword training that I've seen is absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see her hack up some zombies.

Q: Can you tell us anything about the sword she's using?

A: She's using a sword that we specially designed for the show...The origins of the sword will be revealed on the show.

Q: This season has got so many exciting story lines...

A: When you think about The Walking Dead comic series, you think about oh, the stuff they with did the Governor, the stuff they did with the prison and Woodbury and Michonne. And that's really a lot of the stuff that people remember the story for and that's stuff we haven't even gotten to in the TV show yet. So as much as people love the show, and as high as the ratings are, and as cool as the show is, I feel like we haven't even gotten to the good stuff yet. This season is absolutely going to blow people away.

Q: You're developing another of your comics, Thief of Thieves, with AMC. What can you tell us about that project?

A: Thief of Thieves is a great heist story about a man named Conrad Paulson who leads a double life as a master thief known internationally as Redman...I am working with Chic Eglee, who is a fantastic writer who worked on the first season of The Walking Dead, and right now we are in the pilot development stage, so he's going to be working hard on the pilot script and once that's written we'll go from there. But it's really exciting to be working with AMC again.

Q: This season will be 16 episodes instead of 13. Are you looking forward to the longest production time yet?

A: The actors and the crew and a lot of the producers would not be thrilled to hear me saying this, but I love doing 16 episodes a year. I think the more the better, and I think it's a lot of fun. We are going to get to tell bigger stories, and tell more stories, and get into the characters a lot more. So the more the merrier.

Posted on May 23, 2012 8:10:57 PM PDT
Actually, to "cheat" by reading the comics would actually really throw people who are only viewers of the show almost completely off since A LOT has been changed, for better or worse. I'm of two minds about it. I love some of the changes they made, and I'm not too cool with some of them either.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2012 1:54:31 PM PDT
Sky says:
Season 3 begins shooting...check out this link for a cool video and the first pic of Michonne: http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/2012/05/video-on-set-season-3.php
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (2,484 customer reviews)
 (1,999)

$69.99 $19.99
Reviewer

Sky
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Location: New York