3.0 out of 5 stars Good virus protection, some IMPORTANT gotcha's, April 21, 2012
This review is from: Norton 360 6.0 - 1 User / 3 PC [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
UPDATE: See comment section after the review--this software apparently does not detect the infamous "DOJ Malware" which freezes your computer and demands you send a money order number to the hackers (which doesn't assure you will have this malware removed.) This is a serious deficiency in this software's ability to protect your computer. I'll get a comment back from Norton, but until I do, I'm deducting a star and noting that Norton 360 is not complete protection against malware.

I'm required to use Norton on my home PC in order to access my work PC at home if I want to view it remotely. That's how our IT support has arranged things. So even if I might prefer a different brand of anti-virus, this is the one I use.

INSTALLATION AND SUPPORT

Norton installs easily. That's huge. I am not a PC guru though I do know how to do basic tasks. And I have to make sure any PC I use at home is updated and kept free of the mounting threat for viruses and malware, which are programs that enter your computer from a website and gather data or otherwise intend to harm you in some way. The fact I could get this installed in minutes, and that it has a 3 PC license made it a big selling point for me. Most of us have at least two in the house and a laptop, so 3 is a logical number of licenses in a package.

However, there have been reports that this software will not install well on older PC's. Mine are about 4 years old, and both use either Vista or Win 7, so I am in fairly good shape. But many many people have older PC's that run well and that they have not upgraded. There are reports that this software is not well-adapted to older systems, and may crash your system. I got away with it on my PC, but if you are running anything less than a 3 year old PC, I'd suggest you not mess with this unless you have some PC knowledge. (Trend Micro seems to be more forgiving of older PC's at least, in our hands.) So I bring it up, because even if I have a good result, YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY--that is, this may not be the software you want.

The improvements I noticed most is a backup option that helped me do a more regular backup task, something I had been lax about.

Another improvement is PC Cleanup, which lets you remove unused files from the registry. I do NOT hack the registry. I'm just out of date when it comes to Win 7 or Vista and the registry. I used to be able to handle deeper tasks years ago with XP but I just don't have time or bandwidth to become that knowledgeable about the operating system anymore. But if you install trial software, or have a software package you don't use anymore, it's advisable to remove it from the system and haha, the "remove software" feature of Windows doesn't remove everything left behind.

GOTCHAS

No Norton Anti-Bot included in this package, which is software that protects against "bot"Trojan programs. This is amazingly bad. You have to buy Norton Anti-Bot, a standalone application, separately and how many people know that they should do this, or feel good about ponying up another thirty quatloos to get important protection. A "bot" is a Trojan that is a kind of malware that installs itself and can open a door to virus or data mining from your computer. The older "Trojans" tricked you into installing them (you'd download, say, a cute game or screensaver and it would be a "Trojan horse" containing a harmful program inside. That's why you scan software that you intend to install.) In this case, the Trojan comes in as malware installed by a website automatically, and the Anti-Bot detects it. If you surf the web to sites you are not familiar with, or if you have other users (psst ...your children) you should have this. ***** UPDATE ***** Seems I am out of date--AntiBot has been replaced by protection that is included in the Norton Internet Security software.

Installation on older PCs: Reported to be not as good on older PCs. (I was ok.)

Spyware: if you search out the test reports, Norton is great on virus, in fact, it is at the top, but it is only middling good for spyware and misses many issues. For the average user who is not so savvy on spyware, this may not seem so important, but there are many malicious websites you can stumble on these days, even clicking once onto them and you will get something undesirable installed onto your PC. If Spyware is a concern, you may turn to other packages instead. You can add Ad-Aware Pro which is well-rated. I found Trend Micro better than Norton on warning me about potentially malicious sites; one site that passed through Norton was stopped by Trend Micro, but Trend Micro is said not to be as good for virus trapping as Norton.

Support: The online support, where you use the internet to access help files, requires that you enter personal information to access the database. Huh? Since most help moved to online format (with good reason; it's easier to maintain, keeps versions of software updated) almost all software packages you use let you simply go online and search the database for the help you need. Here, you have to log in and give your name. I think after you paid for and installed a licensed legitimate package, that should be freely accessible. Furthermore, unless your help is dealing with a "known issue", you will have to pay for telephone support for settings for your particular PC or firewall. Sometimes, the online help fails, especially during the initial install. If you cannot navigate and solve your own issue, you will have to pony up more cash to solve an installation. A workaround for many companies is a users forum and for example, I installed Magix MX and needed a setting to add a feature and the user forum NOT the database had the answer for me. Here, you are forced to call them if you cannot find your particular answer.

The tech support is about the cost of the software for one session, so if you are budget-minded and in trouble, you'll have to do an exhaustive internet search to save the dough. I realize that live technical support is an expensive burden to a software manufacturer, but I'd have preferred to see one call included for installation issues and let customers pay for additional support after installation, which seems fairer to me.

SUMMARY

Overall, a good package. Who should buy this? The average PC user, with a NEWER PC and intermediate knowledge of PC's a good candidate for this software. Be prepared to pony up for tech help if you need firewall help. If you are a basic PC user, I would suggest hiring a tech to help you through the installation and checking your home system, including wireless for security. While this will cost you, the cost of a breach in your PC security could lead to identity theft and other problems that would cost much more. Beware of some of the issues, such as older PC installation.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 23, 2012 12:26:04 PM PDT
D. Denny says:
Joanna - you may not consider yourself a PC guru, but your excellent product review certainly makes you sound like one. Thanks so much for this review. My Norton Antivirus software is up for renewal, and I came to Amazon to shop for some options. Your informative review, written in terms I can understand, has been very instrumental in helping me make up my mind. Thanks so much!

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 7:49:23 AM PDT
Joanna, Did not understand your "Gotcha" on Norton Anti-Bot. That was dicontinued in 2009, replaced by SONAR 4.0 for this 2012 360 release. Right? I'm an average PC user, and like what what I've read on this product. I've used Kaspersky for years, but this is said to be the best now. Please reply. I have a new HP desktop (h9se) and want to get the best protection possible. PC included the Norton 2012 Security, but I'm looking into this instead for it's "ease of use" for this un-techy. Thanks, Pete

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 4:51:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 27, 2012 4:56:53 PM PDT
Ha, waddya know, Antibot is now Sonar and is not Sonar (which was not Symantec originally) but is part of....I think, Norton Internet Security. And maybe 360. I don't find Symantec's site easy to navigate through their products on their site. As I said I AM NOT A PC GURU. However, I updated the review to indicate AntiBot is no longer sold by Norton (true) and that it looks as if you would have to add at least Internet Security (possibly true) or even 360 (?) to get better protection. And the firewall software looks separate from those? Confusing. Maybe someone else can clarify.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 12:33:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 12:51:22 AM PDT
Cindie says:
You're right it used to be separate but now its been reinvented and improved to fit Norton and to look for just about everything out there and in my opinion 360 is the best thing going these days, no matter what parts of it used to be called, especially if you have kids. Happy surfing!

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 2:43:25 AM PDT
Thanks for all the comments as they have been helpful. The more I use Norton, the more I'm actually liking it.

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 10:13:07 PM PST
coleridge says:
I have Norton 360 and now I have the DOJ malware and Norton is useless.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 2:25:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2013 2:28:03 AM PST
That's good feedback. http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Internet-Connecticity-Host-File-Cleanup-Failed/td-p/846748

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 2:28:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2013 2:44:44 AM PST
coleridge says:
Thanks. I'll take a look.

I looked. That's useful for the future, but at this point I can't download anything. This particular piece of malware has been around for a while. I don't understnd why Norton has nothing. A person like me doesn't want to look at discussion boards trying to protect my computer. I want someone to selll software that will protect me.

Now I'll just have to take my computer somewhere in the morning. I hope Home Depot still does this sort of thing. If not, I'll try Best Buy. Thanks again...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 2:46:35 AM PST
coleridge says:
You go to Norton and ask their little automated man about the DOJ malware and he refers me to their discussion boards which I believe are other users. I need help now.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 3:04:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2013 3:05:19 AM PST
This is bad news. I'll do some more checking. It is over the web that this problem is not being handled well.

You're doing a great service here by highlighting it.

Since I have not run into the DOJ malware (pretty mean stuff) I wasn't aware of the deficiency. (It seems in some countries, people are actually ponying up cash ransom to remove the malware. Pretty nasty!)

You might see if someone in your area is an independent PC expert. They might be able to help you remove the malware. I know someone here in our area who is very good, but we're not in the same part of the country.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (399 customer reviews)

$89.99 $68.25
Reviewer

Joanna Daneman
(VINE VOICE)    (COMMUNITY FORUM 04)    (#1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)

Location: USA