5.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase for the price., July 19, 2012
This review is from: Acer Aspire One AO725-0899 11.6" Netbook (AMD Dual Core Processor, 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive, Windows 7 HP 64 bits) Volcano Black (Personal Computers)
About me: I am a grad student in a major city. I walk/take public transportation to class and was using a large laptop for the first year. I needed a lightweight computer for use in class because carrying the larger laptop around was a hassle. My criteria were 1), lightweight 2), long battery life, 3) be a Windows 7 PC, 4) have Word, and 5) be relatively inexpensive. I was redeeming Amazon credits, so my out-of-pocket was insignificant.
This Acer Aspire One pretty much fit the bill and I would recommend it to anyone in a similar situation or someone looking for a budget lightweight laptop to take with them to work or school. Here is the pro and con breakdown:

Pros:
Lightweight: a little over 2.5 pounds.
Has Word Starter: perfect for class notes
Battery life: just leaving it on (not in sleep mode), but not in active use, the battery lasts a little over 7 hours.
Windows 7: does everything a normal Windows computer can do and supports the standard apps.
Good construction material: Does not feel like it is cheaply made. Some other computers at the same price range have keyboards that seem flimsy, etc.
285 GB Hard Disk
Inexpensive

Cons:
Slow: Shutdown time is about 1 minute and 15 seconds, startup is about 5 seconds faster, from start menu to being able to search on Chrome is about 17 seconds.
Really Slow: do not plan on much multitasking, because the computer slows to a crawl if you start opening too many windows. With just Chrome open, the window will freeze if you open up more than 10 tabs.
Do expect to anything too complex: this computer cannot be used for any high-end processing like video/photo editing or gaming. The Windows Experience Index gives it a 3.2 based on its processor. Also has 4.9 memory, 3.9 graphics, 5.5 gaming graphics, and 5.9 for primary hard disk. Probably could play some less graphically intense mid to early 2000s games.
Word Starter: have to update to Microsoft Office if you need it to write research papers, because Windows Starter does not have foot/endnote abilities.

Overall, I give it a 5 because the processor is a little better than I would expect for a computer like this. Two and a half years ago I had a Toshiba that I bought for a grand that was only marginally faster than this computer. Also, it is good for the price, lightweight, and does what I want it to (type and internet search).

Update, October 1: purchased SSD on Amazon and also more memory on another site. Went for the 120 gb, which really is a steal, especially if you have Amazon Prime. Putting the new memory and hard drive in was easy as could be: youtube has good how to videos. These computers are essentially like four parts, so its just unscrewing the back and snapping the stuff in the right places. Cut boot and shutdown time to less then 20 seconds each. About a 100 dollars investment that makes the computer run like a 600 dollar laptop.

Update, October 2: One little problem, which does not change my view of this computer in totality. The screen seems to randomly brighten for no reason. It really is minor, since you can darken the screen easily with the keyboard. Also, I have seen other reviews mention the touchpad sensitivity. It is sensitive and takes some getting used and can be irritating, but is more of a minor inconvenience than a serious problem.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 13, 2012 8:30:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2012 8:35:05 AM PDT
Marc Salazar says:
here is a pro tip when i bought mine:
Buy these and it can out perform almost $400- $500 laptops

drive wise...
buy this if you got the money: Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2 *these are getting really cheap now*

buy this if you dont have money or depending how much space you need: Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 2.5 Inch Solid State Hybrid Drive ST95005620AS

ram wise:
Corsair 4 GB DDR3 Laptop Memory CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9

all this = mini beast of a comp :D fast startup and shutdown, applications load in a flash or no more than 2 seconds.

also with these upgrades my windows index is:
3.3 (based on processor)
memory ram:5.2
Graphics: 4.1
Gaming Graphics: 5.5
Primary hard disk: 7.8

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 4:55:47 PM PDT
C. Glenn says:
I put in a $89 SSD drive and a 8GB memory stick. Mine boots Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit) in about 15 seconds. So I cannot say whether it's Windows or the HDD slowing down your boot time. If you have the HDD space you can try to install a dual boot and see how Ubuntu does--if you're willing to try that! Good luck.

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 5:58:41 AM PDT
S. Police says:
Thanks Phillip....I'm in grad school too. And your usage is similiar to my own..typing and internet search....nothing fancy. I think you may have helped me make a decision.

question: what is this word starter? does it have ms word and/or excel?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 3:28:43 AM PDT
Mwooster says:
Hi C. Glenn, on the Acer website for AO725-0899, it says max RAM is 4GB. Are you experiencing any problems with the overload? And are you actually getting 8GB or you maxing out at 4GB of RAM? Thanks man

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 8:27:19 AM PDT
can you give me basic instructions to upgrade ram from 2g to 4g?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 10:31:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012 6:24:33 PM PDT
Phillip D. says:
Basically, MS word that only allows for basic typing. But, if you are student, you can buy Word Student for about 80 bucks and you can use it on up to three computers. MS Word Student is basically the same as regular MS word.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 4:55:55 PM PDT
M. Flaig says:
Hi Phillip, Awesome review, thanks for the great info. Yours is the first and only I've read so far, so I apologize if this question is answered somewhere else in the comments.

I am basically interested in this Acer for writing purposes (blogging, journaling, book chapters). Also will use if for personal emails and I'd need the web for posting to my blog, but that's all I plan to use it for.

I was hoping to spend even less (close to $200), as much of a pipe dream that is ... so I want to avoid adding anything to this right away. Based on my needs, do you think this netbook would be okay "as is"? Or would I need to purchase the full version of Word?

If I'd need to purchase Word or more memory, etc., do you have recommendations? I've seen other Acer Aspires for less but not sure the difference. I've also considered getting a cheap tablet (e.g. Pandigital) and a wireless keyboard, and downloading a word processing app -- but that sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen!

Thanks very much. Maureen

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 6:35:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 2, 2012 6:36:46 PM PDT
Phillip D. says:
For your purposes, Word Starter is fine. It has the most basic features: creating and saving Word documents, spell check, opening Word docs. The only thing it lacks that I found necessary was the ability to create footnotes in Word docs. Even besides all that, there are free writing programs (Open Office comes to mind) that would be able those basic functions too.

If your still interested in a memory upgrade, since it is relatively cheap as far as computers go, I just used http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/. It simple scans the computer and says what additional memory is compatible, as well as which solid state drives. You can order memory from them or take the specifications it gives you and search any other website that sells memory.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2012 4:36:35 PM PDT
M. Flaig says:
Hi Phillip, thank you so much for your help!

Thanks to your thorough review and your kindness in answering my question, I bought this Aspire today! I am so happy; I've been wanting to get something to devote just for writing purposes for a couple years now, but i could never decide which route to go (e.g. tablet + keyboard; inexpensive netbook; used laptop; the AlphaSmart -- a little gadget just for typing, etc). I've been back and forth on this for ages.

Thanks for the info on the memory upgrade -- that sounds perfect. Also, I noticed that you mentioned how the touchpad is sensitive. I've never been a fan of the touchpad in general, and just planned on using a mouse (assuming that's possible). So hopefully that will avoid the irritating touchpad issue!

I'm so glad you took the time to write this review. I appreciate all of your help!
Maureen

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 5:38:05 AM PDT
m smith says:
A question though, the OS, how did u deal with that when you changed the drive, my brother has an older model of these Acer netbooks, so I know u dont get a OS disk...........I want one of these but I am note able to spend money on a new OS
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›