Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy successor to the BDP-S370, March 22, 2011
This review is from: Sony BDP-S380 Blu-ray Disc Player (Black) (2011 Model) (Electronics)
I just purchased two of these - one for myself and one for an out-of-state friend. I'm using mine with a Sony Bravia 1080p flat screen; my friend is using hers with an older 30 inch CRT TV (4:3 aspect ratio) until she gets around to taking her flat screen out of its box.

I was thinking about getting a unit with built-in WiFi, but before making the purchase(s), I did some research online and heard (read) some horror stories about streaming via WiFi that were, let's say, somewhat less than complementary (glitches, disconnects, freezes requiring reboots, etc.), so I decided to purchase this unit BECAUSE it didn't have WiFi (why pay for a feature that I'm not going to use?). I already have a Sony BDP-S370 (using it with a Samsung flat screen) and like it a lot; I would have bought two more of them, but they weren't available directly from Amazon when I ordered, so I got these - I prefer buying from Amazon for their returns policy. Also, the BDP-S380 supports 'vudu' AND it has an on-screen digital throughput speed readout (in Mbps) which appears when streaming is starting up - both welcome additions!

My setup took about 15 minutes from the time I opened the box until I was watching discs, Amazon VOD, and Netflix (the only ones that I've set up so far). I connected the BDP-S380 to my TV via HDMI, and my LAN via Ethernet cable and everything just worked (of course, I had to set it up for my Amazon and Netflix accounts, but that took less than five minutes each). After going through the on-screen quick start menus, the unit told me that there was a firmware upgrade available, so I told it to do it, and a few minutes later, it finished and turned itself off (normal when upgrading firmware).

My friend's setup took a bit longer, since she had never set one up before and I couldn't see what was happening while I tried to talk her through everything (from memory). She connected to her TV using the (supplied-in-the-box) AV cable. Because her TV was 4:3 aspect ratio, some of the menus didn't display legibly, which is probably what made things take a bit longer. Anyway, we got everything working properly within about 20-25 minutes.

One thing of note I would like to mention is this: all BD players manufactured after 01/01/2011 have DRM firmware which prevents HD signals from using any output other than HDMI. For me, that was no problem since I was using HDMI; since my friend was using AV, everything was displayed on her TV in SD (not really a problem since that is all it's capable of displaying anyway, and she'll be using HDMI if she ever sets up her flat screen *:^).

I'm very pleased with this unit (and so is she). Its outputs are crisp and solid, its user interface is staight-forward and easy to understand, and its physical size, shape, and appearance should fit in anywhere.

Definitely a 5-star device.

======

NETFLIX Note (04/15/11):

It seems that Netflix is no longer limiting selections to your Instant Queue! There is now a choice entitled "Top Picks For You" -- also, you can now press "Options" on the Remote and when you select "Categories >" you will be presented with a Category list from which you can search and select movies! Yay!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 23, 2011 11:31:11 AM PDT
Woodsman says:
What are differences b/t S380 and S370? Any extra features of note?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2011 3:15:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2011 10:25:16 AM PDT
Peter says:
I've lookinng, but the only things that I found that I can easily verify is that the 370 is slightly larger than the 380 and that the 380 has a digital streaming speed indicator which appears when streaming is starting, and it supports vudu streaming.

I haven't stopped looking - I'll post more if/when I find it.

Posted on Apr 14, 2011 10:42:53 AM PDT
Diego Solano says:
excuse me but do you know if this player will play .avi files ? because I save some movies on my external hard drive and I wish to find a bluray player that can play these

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2011 11:48:43 AM PDT
Peter says:
According to the User's Manual, which you can download from Sony's website, it lists (on page 25) "Playable Types of Files." Under File Format "Xvid", ".avi" is listed as a supported file format.

I haven't actually tried it, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2011 9:35:22 AM PDT
Diego Solano says:
but is it true what the video reviewer said ? that it is slow to load movies and it lags the video ?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2011 10:20:41 AM PDT
~200 seconds till the movie menu appears

Loading a "Leverage" Season Two DVD:
25 seconds till the Paramount screen starts
~50 seconds till the previews start

Note - all those times are all from the disc tray loading, and are NOT cumulative. My "Quick Start" setting is "Off".

I don't see anything extraordinarily long in those times, do you?

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 8:49:37 AM PDT
Roy In L.A. says:
Do you know if you can stream Amazon Prime Instant Video (the free ones.)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2011 9:14:04 AM PDT
Yes, you can.

Posted on May 10, 2011 6:21:51 PM PDT
Sony BDP S380 Blu-ray. I have the one with built in WiFi but I'm a little confuse about this one. Are you saying I have to buy a USB wireless adapter and a Wi-Fi adapter to make this work. I have DSL and didn't have any problems with the built in one. Sony did fool me. I thought this on work without having to buy any other part. If I don't have to buy both of these, which one works the best?

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2011 6:35:12 PM PDT
Peter says:
To use the Sony BDP-S380 with WiFi, you need to purchase Sony's UWA-BR100 USB Wi-Fi adapter - no other USB WiFi adaptor will work.

I assume you already have a WiFi network network set up.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›