3.0 out of 5 stars Brooks Beast '12 not as good as Beast '11, April 17, 2013
This review is from: Brooks Men's Beast '12 Running Shoes (Shoes)
I have bad feet and I tear up my shoes rather quickly, so I buy a new pair every 5-8 months. I don't make a lot of money, I don't have mush to spend on extras, but comfort is one thing I always splurge on. I figure $300 a year for something I will be spending nearly half my time in is money well spent. I am wide footed and wear 10.5 4E. Decent wide width shoes are hard to find. People with wide feet are more limited. Most shoes run a little narrow. All Nike shoes I've bought in the past were too narrow. Some lines of shoes don't offer wide shoes and even some brands don't offer wide shoes. So, when I shop for shoes, I try to find the perfect pair for me, and I spend days researching shoes online.

Last year I bought the Brooks '11, which was the first time I've ever wore a Brooks brand shoe. At first I was unimpressed, but reviews said that it may take time to break them in and they were right. After a few weeks the shoes became the ...not sure if they were the most comfortable or second most comfortable shoe I've ever wore. New Balance 993's were also very nice.

Anyway, after 8 months, it was time for a new pair. I was going to order the same pair, but I saw that a newer version was available. The new version was a tab bit more expensive, but I liked the new style and figured it would probably be superior to my last pair in every way. But I was wrong.

I ordered a pair through Zappos, put them on, and went for a walk. I immediately noticed that they were more narrow and my feet felt a little cramped, but I figured I would break them in and they'd stretch out. And for the most part, they did stretch out, but not quite like I wanted. After about a month, they were still kinda uncomfortable. I could tell they were completely broken in.

They also seem to have tore up quicker. It's been about 4 months, and I think I need a new pair of shoes. The pleasing style of the shoe has maintained from the Brooks '11, but everything else seems to have diminished slightly. I think I'm going to try the Asics Kayano 19 next and perhaps try the Brooks '13 when it comes out, which I think will officially determine my opinion of the brand.

I think for $140 there are way better shoes out there.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2014 10:53:49 AM PST
School Sub says:
I have been in New Balance 1123's which are now 1540's and I buy mens wide (although female) because of severe pronation and flat foot that swells 24/7. It was suggested by my orthotic maker for some time, to get Brooks Beast. I am not working, (disabled) and finally had the $140 to get the Beast 11. I do not like these, and would not recommend them. Toe box is much narrower than the NB1540, and no cushion inside the shoe, like NB's have. I am getting joint pain in lower back, caused by "impact" from walking in these shoes. I will stick to what I know best, and what my feet seem to enjoy. Mileage on the NB is far superior (walking) than the beast.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 29, 2014 1:25:22 PM PDT
C. A. Bayko says:
Thank you so much for taking the time to write, this. This kind of real world experience is helping me to decide on the NB 1540. I like the toe box seems wider than most. I appreciate your opinion.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (215 customer reviews)

$140.00 $134.95 - $149.95