1,522 of 1,576 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Master Your Metabolism, July 4, 2009
This review is from: Master Your Metabolism: The 3 Diet Secrets to Naturally Balancing Your Hormones for a Hot and Healthy Body! (Hardcover)
Interesting book though far, far too much science in it for the average person (BTW - I have a Master's degree and a former college roommate is now a registered dietician so I've been around related books and discussions and still found this hard to follow).

Also, it's far too extreme for the average person. For example, we can't all afford 100 percent organic all the time nor can we completely avoid plastic wrap and related carrying containers. Also, the book contradicts itself in a lot of places. I suspect the editor was MIA when it came to cross referencing.

The bottom line in this book is to stop eating all the fake food that we currently put into our systems and you'll lose weight. Since reading this book, I've significantly cut processed foods loaded with chemicals (yes, that means the Activia yogurt, low calorie jello and pudding, cool whip and other so called low calorie snacks that actually make you gain weight). I've replaced a lot of food staples with organic and have seen a big difference in my weight and disposition.

For the person who wants to get smarter about the way 'the man' is ruining our diets and making money through cheap, processed foods, the core elements of this book could have been better addressed in a 500-750 article along the lines of 'Top 10 Ways to Lose Real Weight and Keep it Off.' Here's some key tips from the book to save yourself the time and expense of reading it:

1. Stop eating chemicals because your body doesn't know how to process them, therefore, you gain weight.
2. Choose the real food (real cheese, for example) over the lower fat because you'll eat less and feel more satiated.
3. Go organic when possible.
4. You can still eat chocolate and drink wine but everything in moderation.
5. Opt for glassware over plastic to cut down more chemical absorption.
6. Those 100 calorie snacks are pure marketing and chemicals.
7. You still have to work out, people. And really work out to break a sweat.
8. The amount of chemicals that have snuck into our food system has reached an alarming rate. Makes you wonder about the rise in cancer, diabetes and auto immune diseases.
9. Think twice about OTC drugs as they also contain chemicals.
10. Eat better/eat right and you can cut down a lot of health issues and drop a few pounds while you're at it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2009 12:37:52 PM PST
Karina says:
GOOD SUMMARY

Posted on Jan 6, 2010 10:42:04 AM PST

Posted on Jan 10, 2010 9:44:12 PM PST
Glamazon 876 says:
Thank you! I had a thing in my 'Self' magazine to get this book for free, just paying shipping and handling, but I wasn't sure if I'd come to regret even spending $5 s&h and wasting the time reading it. So often you blow money on these books thinking they'll be telling you something new and important but more often than not it's the same old broken record. I appreciate someone writing such a thorough review!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2010 6:16:35 AM PST
A chemical is defined as:
1. A substance with a distinct molecular composition that is produced by or used in a chemical process.

ie man-made. I think you are getting confused with chemistry which studies the chemical composition of substances.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2010 11:32:38 PM PST
Chad E. Mick says:
A chemical is not always "man made"...that's a horrible deduction from that definition. Apparently you are getting confused as well.

Read up: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-chemical.htm

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2010 9:27:30 AM PST
Hook 'Em says:
Well the same "for free" was in Parade magazine and once you go further it is the contract for $4 to subscribe to more of her stuff which you get "for free" for the first two weeks and then you can cancel it after that. As we all realize, nothing is for free, shame on Jillian Michaels. I am not one to ever give anyone the right to charge my account on a monthly basis too. Thanks to Amazon for reviews, they do help us become wiser consumers.

Posted on Jan 27, 2010 10:35:59 AM PST
T. Bonds says:
Excellent summary. I was interested in the book, but I figured it was the same as the others I've read. Of course, I've been doing a modified "Eat To Live" life-style for the past year, and have lost around 72 lbs. (from 286 to around 214). Of course I've put in a few hours in the gym as well. Just wanted to say, I enjoy good comments like yours. I would probably agree with the book near 100%...but with some modifications. Vegetables (organic, if you can) is the way to go...with some meat two or three times a week (fish & chicken), 40 minutes of arobic and 30 minutes of strength training, 5 days a week...no less than 3 days a week but you'll have to work twice as hard. Eat fruits and berries and lots of greens...lots, lots of green vegetables. Also, I've found that Sweet-Potato is great for filling you up with little calories...no butter or anything...just cinnamon. Anyway....Excellent Summary.

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 9:01:09 AM PST
T. Kbom says:
It's great that folks review this book. Instead of going on the words of 'this book could have been better addressed in a 500-750 article,' preview it from your local library for FREE. Then make YOUR OWN educated decision about buying this book or any other. You may actually find something out that the reviewer didn't cover. Don't sell yourself short on your smarts. That's my 2-cents.

Posted on Feb 8, 2010 11:01:24 PM PST
A. bauman says:
I think you did an awesome summary.
I disagree on the 500-700 word article. I really found the hormone part informative, since my parents both have Hashimoto's. There are certain triggers for it, that I had NO idea about, and hopefully, if I change things around, I will not develop it.
I didn't see that it was "too much science for the average person." I sort of think you are cutting people short... I read Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food, and while I enjoyed it, I felt like I took a college course. Jillian's book was more "laymen's speak" to me, and although I have read all of this info before, the way she explained it, I feel like I really "got it" this time around. It helped me really understand the dynamics of my body.
I've been eating Jillian style for only 5 days now, and my body feels great! I am looking forward to Spring so I can plant my own organic garden and "afford" eating this way.

Posted on Feb 11, 2010 10:05:36 AM PST
Uleem says:
Just another quick add in. I always enjoy reading (with a few chuckles too) the reviews/comments on books, which I find
extremely helpful. I'm a physically fit person, and added Jillian's workouts to get out of a lull of treadmill, even my P90X got redundant and wanted to loose some pounds with a new twist (intervals) for a beach trip coming up and I've been impressed with her workouts. And have seen amazing results, even in the first 10 days. They are time efficient and kick butt, which I like feeling that way after. As far as her book, it sounds like she's just really trying to get people to think out of the one dimensional world. I think I will go ahead and give this book a try, I agree with someone's comment about thinking it may be too complex (we are de-evolving as a society as a whole regardless vs other countries) for people, and they need to be forced into understanding what happens on deeper levels of the body. (if you worked in medicine as I do you'd realize just HOW uninformed people are on that, I see it 14 hrs a day) As far as not affording organic, avoiding plastics etc, I think if everyone kept up those excuses of can't afford it, blah blah blah the world will reflect that attitude and there will be no change. You CAN slowly integrate into using glass containers vs plastics. However, keep in mind things labeled on the bottom "7" in the arrowed triangle for recycling codes, are not supposed to leach the xenoestrogens as lesser number plastics, as you'll see on bottles of water etc. Nalgene is another of example of "7" plastics etc that are safe to use (rubber made makes some good ones too I use and only use those). Just FYI. So, with all that said that little bit of extra money you spend on organic whole foods, will make up for themselves when they add years on your life and less trips to the doctor. I am lucky I live close to an all grass fed beef farm, but I make the extra trip out there (not complaining about the extra 15 miles and gas) to get the extra omega's in the meat, know where your food comes from and support local organic farmers in your area, they are out there. You have to just make the effort for the lifestyle change and know you are making a difference in your life, your health and in the world in general. Thanks for listening.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›