4.0 out of 5 stars Sony or GoPro, July 17, 2014
This review is from: Sony Action Cam HDR-AS100VR Wi-Fi GPS HD Video Camera Camcorder & Live View Remote with 32GB Card + Battery + Flat Surface & Helmet Mounts + Case + Tripod Kit (Electronics)
There are lots of detailed reviews dealing with the video and picture quality, features, technical specs, etc you can find on youtube and other websites. I bought the Sony due to a very clear advantage over the GoPro in image and vid quality from the myriad tests and reviews available.

For me, I found the camera easy to use and like the liveview wristband for being able to see what the cam is recording. The many mounts that came with this provide a lot of flexibility but did not cover all the bases for me.

I ended up buying a handlebar mount for my bicycles which after using on my mountain bike and bumpy roads on my road bike I found fairly useless due to vibration. You really need to mount the cam on your body somewhere. That means either you head or chest. I used this on top of my bike helmet and it worked fine. You can side mount it but with a road bike helmet being so light, it pulled my helmet to the side.

So, I am going to try a chest mount next. The reason i rate this a four is because I want people to consider what is most important for their use. The GoPro format allows you to chest mount your cam and have it flat against your chest. The Sony is going to stick out in front of you. That seems a bit awkward.

The other issue is that if you leave the livecam wrist band on and connected to the cam, then battery life of the cam is very low - probably less than 40 minutes. So, you really need to turn the livecam view off when not recording.

All in all though you get an amazing amount of technology in an easy to use device. Mounting it for your particular use may or may not be cumbersome. That is probably the main decision between this and a GoPro. If vid quality is the main concern for you, get this Sony. If cam location and placement in certain important applications is more important consider the GoPro.

[Add comment]