Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

2.0 out of 5 stars Are These Positive reviews for Real?, February 26, 2010
This review is from: SquareTrade 3-Year MP3 Protection Plan ($50-75) (Electronics)
I have to wonder about all these reviews of SquareTrade warranties, including Ms. Jablonski's. The reviewers that gave 5-star reviews and were effusive in their praise for SquareTrade, are all new reviewers AND they have only reviewed the warranties; NOT even the products that were covered by the warranties were reviewed by them.

MAYBE they are all on the up an up and just truly love the warranties enough to review them. But let's just say I've seen a lot of companies have their employees (or just the Marketing person) post positive reviews to boost their ratings, and this looks like its happening here--big time.

Also, more pertinent to the product itself: why isn't the full warranty posted online so you can review the coverage BEFORE you buy it? I know I'd like to read the contract and view the full legal coverage and exclusions.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 18, 2010 12:26:01 PM PDT
D. TODD says:
What bad experience have you encounterd with this company? I am reading this review and I am just wondering if you complaining just to complain. I read this review to help me decided whether or not to buy a warranty but I still dont understand what you are complaining about? I would like to hear what your bad experience with this company/ warranty was?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2010 6:20:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2010 6:21:45 AM PDT
Eastonboy says:
I have never dealt with this warranty company before, nor do I imply that I have. If you re-read my post you'll notice I don't advise against this product. Instead I am merely pointing out that the reviewers who raved about the warranty didn't even bother to review the product the warranty covered. That in itself should be a red flag to prospective buyers; that those reviewers are likely associated with the company and trying to boost their ratings. Its a common, unethical but often unknown practice. I simply wanted to balance what appear to be 'false' reviews.
As my post was neutral in regard to whether the "product" was good or bad, I was going to give it 3 stars (right in the middle). However, my "complaint" was the fact that the warranty terms are not listed with the product. This should be very simple to do with either in-page text or a link, and the fact that its not should send up another red flag to prospective buyers. Because of that I deducted another star.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2010 4:05:42 PM PDT
Hi Eastonboy,

We take pride in knowing that many of our satisfied customers review us -- mostly positive, but with some negative reviews as well. When we do get negative customer reviews, we try our best to resolve those issues, as we constantly strive to deliver the best service possible. We have thousands of other positive reviews on other review sites such as Epinions.com, NexTag.com, and ResellerRatings.com. I can assure you that each one is left by a genuine SquareTrade customer.

Regarding the terms of conditions - it is linked as a PDF in the page description, which is the format that Amazon requires us to post the T&Cs. Our apologies if it was hard to spot - we try to do our best to make sure that customers know exactly what they are getting into before they buy, which is why we provide an easy-to-read 2 page summary at the top of the legal language.

Regards,

Tamara
The SquareTrade Team

Posted on Jun 3, 2010 8:29:52 PM PDT
Ken B says:
Instead of lowering the rating for a product that you appear never to have used, you should have posted your concerns under each "effusive" comment, where the commenter could actually respond.

Posted on Jun 19, 2010 5:09:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2010 5:23:32 PM PDT
K. Mcculloch says:
thank you for doing your research eastonbay. After reading your post I went thru & looked at the other reviews with 5ish stars and most of them are, without a doubt, fake. If it isn't instantly apparent that they are fake then you need to learn to look for the warning signs to avoid being scammed. The reviews of the warranty without a review of the actual product the warranty was purchased for are pretty lol, as was the reviewer who posted the same review on two different versions of the same product and WHAT A COINCIDENCE all three reviews praise the squaretrade warranty!

And whats this? hmmm.... D. Todd (who has never written a review of anything, posts a comment defending the warranty in this thread. I wonder if this is any relation to T. Todd who has only posted 3 reviews in his entire reviewing career, all on the same day and apparently loves warranties so much he forgot to review the actual product he purchased it for. (lots of that going around)

that being said, I'm going to give it a shot, hoping that the fake reviews are due to the fact that most people who buy warranties don't bother to review them.

edit: maybe not...it seems that every version of their warranty has multiple fake reviewers and commenters. there must be like 50 accounts just made to post a single comment or review. now youve lost my business for sure.

Posted on Oct 5, 2010 1:03:46 PM PDT
Paul DeWhitt says:
Hmm, so IF some of these effusively Positive reviews are bogus, then what about all the negative reviews (also planted?) on MP# Players that are $60 -$80.00 that quit working after 90 days. That's what tempts me to spend an extra $10 as this seems to happen to at least 20% of players that get shook too much for example.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2010 9:30:20 PM PDT
J.B. says:
Thanks for pointing out where the details of the warranty are. I hadn't found them until you pointed out where they were. I will be purchasing a SanDisk MP3 along with your warranty. Hope I'm doing the right thing!
JoBo

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 8:49:50 AM PDT
bobowha says:
I agree with you that it is cause for concern that you can't read the warranty before purchasing it. This sounds like a scam.

However, I have bought my husband Sansa players twice before. They're great little MP3 players, but, like IPod, the batteries run out after 1.5 - 2 years. IF the battery really is covered, a 3 year replacement plan sounds like a FANTASTIC deal, given that I'm now buying my third Sansa - the second replacement I've bought because of battery failure in about 5 1/2 years!

But, without being able to read the contract, how can I know if the battery is covered or not?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2011 10:13:51 AM PDT
Hi Bobowha,

The contract for our warranty is found on the product description as a PDF. Its the first link under the section heading "Product Details."

As for your question regarding the battery, SquareTrade will cover the battery if its not user replaceable, like an iPod, where the battery is built in. If the unit has a removable cover to replacing the battery, it wouldn't be covered.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them here, or email me at johnhelps@squaretrade.com. You can also call us 24/7 at 877-WARRANTY (877-927-7268).

Thanks,

John
SquareTrade

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011 5:17:40 PM PDT
Britt Du says:
I agree! After reading through all of the reviews looking to put a warranty on an mp3 player, I started to notice that almost all of the reviews are positive and that the reviewers have never reviewed anything else- strange! I think these are padded reviews which is a shame.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›