4.0 out of 5 stars A superb casual watch, October 28, 2005
The basic Luminox watch is a superb day watch. Although I am on my second one in eight years, this may be a record, as I am not gentle with watchs. The first one's crystal cracked, but the second one is driving on like a champ.

Pro's-

The luminous stuff on the hands and face (tritium vials) is bright. I mean really, REALLY bright. None of this hold it under a light" silliness, but wake up at three thirty in the morning and have no trouble reading it.

The twelve o'clock tritium vial is orange not green, acting as an index point even in complete darkness. See remark about 0330 hrs.

The bezel can be turned reasonably easily, but won't turn by itself when you are not looking.

Accuracy is good.

Shock resistance, overall durability is very good (damage to my first watch was purely my fault and exceeded any reasonable expectation of survival).

Con's

The Navy SEAL propaganda can be mildly annoying.

The bezel is synthetic (plastic), and after two or three years of use starts to go smooth and the numbers start to wear off.

The luminous stuff on the hands and face (tritium vials) is bright. I mean really, REALLY bright. This con is a special case. If a service member wants to wear this watch in the field, one of those watchbands with the flap to cover the face is a REALLY good idea.

The synthetic strap isn't so good. I replace the watch band with a nylon/velcro one on the first day.

The little compass that comes with it is a wasted effort, get a Suunto watchband compass. Same size, superior in every way.

On the whole, a tremendous value for money, and when I abuse my current one beyond usefulness, I will certainly get another one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 30, 2007 12:49:17 AM PST
davs2rt says:
I've had the same watch for nearly 10 years now, and would agree point by point with this reviewer. The tritium vials are great illuminators, and the watch has survived well, except for the points he mentions: the strap breaks every few years (buying one with 22MM attach is a chore, too), and the plastic housing while lightweight, has worn smooth and the outer half of the numbers is gone. The ratchet still works though, and the glow spot is still bright.

I also sent mine in for service (it was stopping at midnight, despite a new battery) and it came back fixed in about 10 days. Has been running well since (5 years?).

When I upgrade, I'll probably go for the titanium: light, but stronger.

Posted on Feb 19, 2010 7:49:46 AM PST
bookworm5Ra says:
I have had one of these for ten years now, and it is my mainstay watch. My other Swiss automatic needs service every three years or it won't work, but my LumiNox just keeps perfect time and enough cannot be said about the ability to see what time it is in pitch black!!!

These LumiNox watches are the greatest value ever, and, forget the haters who don't like them...

The rubber wrist stap does go bad after a few years though... 28 bucks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2011 8:53:17 AM PST
where do you send a navy seal watch for repair

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2011 5:57:42 PM PST
If you go to Luminox web page, they have a link for service centers. If you have a Tournaux store near by, they do excellent services (or have for me).

Posted on Jun 9, 2014 10:04:21 PM PDT
Vernon says:
My story with the Luminox is almost exactly the same as yours. I love this watch and I also am on my second pair in 10 years. And like you my first watch got destroyed purely through my own fault along with some hard training. The luminous hands are so bright I can see what time it is through my BDU sleeves. I will be a Luminox customer for life when it comes to watches for work.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›