5.0 out of 5 stars A word on the binding [Updated with actual review of contents], February 28, 2012
This review is from: Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat (Paperback)
I read the other reviews regarding the fragility of the spine, and the first thing I did when it arrived today was to bring it to OfficeMax and have them remove the glued spine and replace it with a spiral bind - it cost me $3 + change. The kid who bound it leered at the quality of the spine - he sliced about an eighth of an inch in, and there was zero glue left on the pages. According to him, a sure sign of bad binding.

Anyway, all cookbooks should be spiral-bound!

UPDATE - What I think of the actual book:

Oh. Wow.

We are eating like ROYALTY! I did a cookup last weekend, kept us going throughout the week. I made scotch eggs - delicious. I made mayonnaise - TOO easy, it takes 5 minutes! Yesterday I made cottage pie with mashed cauliflower, hard-pressed to tell the difference from the real thing. I've got some jicama slow-cooked from the weekend that I'm going to use for the home fries recipe some night this week.

At this point, I'm starting to learn the page numbers of my favorite ones!

Seriously, if you want to do paleo, buy this book - I guarantee you will not regret it. And don't be put off by the effort involved - now that I'm spending more time in the kitchen, I'm getting smarter about how I work, so it gets faster with practice, so in effect I'm spending less time in the kitchen :)

And here's a free tip for making mayonnaise: if you have a food processor with a feeder tube, check the bottom of the feeder tube. Chances are you will find a small hole there - it's the perfect size to drizzle the oil into the mayo mix as it is blending, and keeps the flow more consistent than if you were to do it by hand. So no need to stand there and watch your pouring hand like a hawk :)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 29, 2012 8:11:58 AM PST
Thanks for your comment! We're actually working on moving to a different printer with a superior binding, so issues should be resolved soon. Thanks so much for sharing your positive solution to the problem. Hope you enjoy Well Fed!

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 7:59:29 AM PDT
Tina says:
Oh my god, I totally forgot about the hole in the feeder tube! Since I've started making my own mayo, this is a very helpful tidbit to remember. You're brilliant!

Posted on Apr 5, 2012 3:41:30 PM PDT
Jacob's Mama says:
Thanks for the tip!

Posted on Jun 21, 2013 8:38:04 AM PDT
Kristene says:
This review is adorable, super helpful, and very affirming. Thanks for making me laugh and for the great tips!

Posted on Sep 12, 2013 9:18:26 AM PDT
pink_marimba says:
You are a genius, thanks for that tip on the spiral binding! I am going to bring mine in and get that done.

Posted on Sep 29, 2014 3:40:36 PM PDT
Theirried84 says:
Best practices are first tested and this book reveals it. If anyone wanted to be healthy then they have to get vegetable spiralizer to start spiralizing for veggies.

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 7:20:39 PM PST
Love the idea of spiral binding the cookbooks...thanks! I also second the hole in the feeder tube...I discovered it a couple years ago to be helpful with mayo, and I tell everyone, too :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (1,143 customer reviews)

$29.95 $17.35