2.0 out of 5 stars If you don't care about sharpness...then go for it., June 6, 2011
I bought this converter and used it with my D700 and 70-200 2.8 vrii. I was very unhappy with the image quality it produced. I ran the combo through many tests and this combination failed. The loss of sharpness was so dramatic that I did not think any of the images were usable. The auto focus had to hunt often and the 3D tracking was limited with this combination. I checked it through all f/stops and the sharpness was still poor even when shot from a tripod with cable relase. I actually tested two of these and the results were varied...but both were very bad. Eventually I tested this lens with the TC-17eii and was much more happy. The images were drastically better. Without going into details of the specific tests I ran all I can say is that in my opinion this teleconverter is for fast long prime lenses. The 70-200mm vrii works much better with the TC-17eii and TC-14eii. Skip the TC-20 if you ar eusing it with the 70-200mm.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 19, 2011 10:41:40 AM PDT
I have to wonder if you had a bad sample, as your experience is contrary not only to my own, but to just about every other TC-20E III review I've seen. Granted, it's not terrific sharpness with the TC on, but it's quite good. I've found it to be consistently on par with the TC-17E II in all conditions.

The older TC-20E II was a real dog, though. In fact, your review reads like you had a TC-20E II instead of the III...

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 11:01:04 AM PDT
I have to agree with you Joshua. A friend lent me the Nikon TC-20E III which I used on a D700 with the 70-200 VR II to shoot a polo match and the auto focus was too slow to shoot the match. The autofocus kept hunting and as joshua pointed out the 3D tracking did not work when I wanted to pan. However, the images I did get were fairly sharp. I would not recommend this teleconverter if you have to shoot fast moving objects or want to pan. I was going to sell my old 80-400 VR, but it actually focuses faster than the 70-200 VR II with the Nikon TC-20E III.

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 8:36:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 30, 2012 8:04:53 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2012 9:19:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2012 9:19:54 PM PDT
J.A. says:
Walter: The comparison to the 80-400VR in terms of focus speed against the 70-200 VRII with TC-20E III was useful. I may keep the DX body, and use the 70-300 VR and skip the TC for shooting sports in sunlight as the focus is faster than the 80-400. Thanks for your post.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2012 3:25:39 PM PDT
rustico says:
To any of you experts, I do nature photography and you know birds moving needs good or excellent glass. I was considering the 80-400 but I was discouraged by the reviews, then I considered the 70-200 f 2.8 with the TC 2x and I am getting discourage by the reviews also. What anybody thinks about the sigma 150-500. I bought a sigma 70-300 few yrs ago and returned. The autofocus was super slow and the colors were very pale, a lot of the pics were a wasted, I returned it after 2 uses. So, I am not too impressed by sigma lenses, although I have a friend who is a professional photographer and he loves sigma lenses. His work is in the studio and more control environment than nature.
HELP, any recommendations?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 8:54:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2013 10:27:53 AM PST
keithW says:
You must have a defective unit. I have both the TC17Eii and the TC20Eiii; I find the TC20Eiii as sharp as the TC17Eii used with a Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S.

"rustico" Have you considered the Nikon 300mm f/4 AF-S? I use this for bird photography and it produces sharp contrasty images. It goes well with the Nikon TC17E to give a 500mm f/6.7; this is my standard setup now for bird photography coupled with a D7000. I also use the TC20E III with this lens to good effect.
I used to own the Sigma 150-500mm but was never satisfied with sharpness. The Nikon 300mm f/4 is in a different league from my experience.

UPDATE: I have now used the TC20Eiii with a 70-200mm f2.8 on a D800 for bird photography. Used exclusively at 200mm the combo produce sharp contrasty images.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 9:54:46 PM PDT
NW MN Dad says:
I'm not sure what version of Sigma 70-300mm you purchased and returned, but after exhaustive reading of reviews on the f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro lens (link below), I picked one up about a month ago and have been astounded with its performance. I regularly blows away the images I used to get with the Nikon branded lens of the same focal length, surprisingly enough, and for at least $100 cheaper. I would go with the specific lens below and instead of a 2X converter, go with a 1.4 or at most 1.7X. In general, I've found from all the reviews I've read and other articles on the subject of converters that when you double the focal length, it leads to rather soft images whereas the 1.4 or 1.7X converters give you a "happy medium" in terms of trading off the loss of sharpness for increased focal length. Hope this helps.
Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2013 5:22:29 PM PDT
Honest-Abe says:
Is this the newest 80-400? Because the new one is incredibly fast!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›