3.0 out of 5 stars A blu-ray dissapointment, but a wonderful movie, October 22, 2009
This review is from: Unforgiven [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
There are a plethora of reviews of the movie, but my review is mostly a comparison of the BD vs DVD version. I won't discuss its merits as a western, which is a classic and worthy of 5 stars. This BD disk is 3 stars for its technical quality.

The BD version is worth buying if you don't own the 2 disk special edition, which has the better DVD transfer, and cost more, even after discounts! But if you own the better DVD version and are looking to own the best version for home viewing, hold on.

While the audio is crisp and clear, there is no magic in its mastering or imaging, its just clearer sound than the DVD.

The BD transfer is generally sharp, but there are moments so dull, I thought I was running the DVD version. The high resolution of BD removes jaggies seen in diagonal lines and pixelation revealed by DVD resolution projected into a large HDTV, but this BD's colors are often washed out, and edges of objects blurred. This lack of resolution is much worse in the night scenes including the finale scene, and is 80% less during daylight shots. Some of the daylight shots do appear as blurry as the night shots. Unlike better BD out there, overall the background elements do not have more striking detail over the DVD. By comparison, a stellar transfer exists even in old movies. If you are a fan of WWII airplanes, see the 1969 'Battle of Britain' or the classic 2001: Space Odyssey.

However, if you don't own the 2 disk set, this BD disk incorporates all the extras of the 2 disk set into one disk, and a better buy than the original DVD release.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 5, 2010 6:17:46 AM PDT
Leebo says:
To M. Gozum -
Thank you very much! It's hard finding actual BLU-RAY reviews. They're almost crowded out with all the left over opinions from years gone by, discussing DVDs and even VHS versions. As I already own the special edition 2 disk set, your review is VERY useful, and timely. I've been trying to upgrade to BD versions for some of my Clint Eastwood DVDs, but the reviews are not very good. So far, the disks I already have seem to be better than any Blu-ray versions. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2010 8:49:30 AM PDT
You are welcome. I am surprised how BD disk prices have soared since I wrote that review. I was buying disks in the $12 or less range, now nearly none are in that price range. I guess BD is popular. I bought this disk as it was $8 or less, delivered! Now its $15 on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2010 10:54:32 AM PDT
Leebo says:
Hi M. -
Blu-ray is great! I live overseas in a "Region A" which now matches the U.S. DVDs were always a problem before and I had to use a multi-region player. As far as price goes, I'm happy to find $15 BDs. And the main issue, for me, is whether or not the disk (DVD, BD) has good quality sound and picture. Tonight, I finally gave in and ordered the Man with No Name Trilogy [Blu-ray] because the latest reviews are very positive; $54.99 plus shipping. Ouch! But I've been waiting and thinking about it for quite a while.

Posted on Jul 11, 2010 12:29:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2010 2:35:46 PM PDT
I've read your review and I've followed the comments above, and I have to disagree with you a little bit here. I was disappointed with this BD for the exact opposite reason. It was TOO clear. I like CINEMA, the texture of film and the softness that's inherent in its limitations as dictated by film speed, which is set by grain size. Here, the image was so clear and sharp (obviously from DNRing to eradicate grain), it lacked any distinguishing cinematic character. If this is not an issue for a potential consumer, then that consumer should be enthusiastically happy with it. Detail was present in the grizzled or lined faces of the actors, as in the simple costumes. Unfortunately the set design was sparse, so there wasn't a lot else to see to accentuate this touch. Because it was a western, the colors were intentionally muted for a rustic effect, according to the original intent, and those tints were preserved here. In that regard, it's not any different from the DVD.

Like you, I double-dipped on this one. Unlike you, I paid a slightly higher price for it ($11.49, and would have paid more, with no regrets). You're right in that the Unforgiven BD doesn't show that much improvement, but to be rid of those light zigzagged lines in diagonal images was worth the upgrade, because it brought me one step closer to the feature presentation. I wish the studios would stop trying to eliminate film grain. Where they've gotten the idea that the image should be Windex clear is a mystery. But some people have complained that the grain is now more obvious. Solution: quit sharpening the films; it exaggerates grain.

The BD release I'm really looking forward to is High Plains Drifter. This is really my favorite Eastwood western, though I recognize it's not the same achievement as this film. It's just more fun, hewing closely as it did to his iconic Man-with-No-Name formula. Like Unforgiven, I've already bought it twice (the first one was letterboxed, so I definitely needed the anamorphic upgrade). I keep checking back but for now there isn't even a proposed date. When it's released, I will have bought it THREE times.

I would like to know how you got this one for $8, which included shipping. I don't think Amazon ever offered it for that price. Since you'd have to pay shipping, you'd have to have bought it for, like, $5.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2010 3:37:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2010 9:49:47 AM PDT
Thanks for the detailed comment, it should help other readers see a different side.

If you all bought it recently, can you check the manufacture date? I have the first BD release, I recall its was somewhere 2007. If you have a newer date maybe its been remastered.

I use http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Unforgiven-Blu-ray/90/

Specifically see:

Find the price tracker icon and you'll see prices going back to 2009. I use that service to find my disks, set a price I'm willing to pay, and when its reached, it sends me an alarm and then I buy it.

On Amazon, this disk was part of FREE Super Saver Shipping; I usually have other disks 'waiting' to purchase, and when the total price reaches $25 I buy it.

If you check it right now, you'll see some classic disks under $10, right as of this writing Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World [Blu-ray] is $10.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2010 10:16:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2010 10:24:18 AM PDT
I bought it last year at Amazon. But the description of that service you use sounds really nifty. For some reason, I'm extremely loyal to Amazon. I've been shopping here for over ten years, and I've got this thing about it. Yeah, it's silly. I know. I'm treating this humongous corporation like it's a mom-and-pop operation. But I'm definitely going to try this site you're using.

And now I see what you mean about the price of the BD with the shipping. Yeah, I've always got a wishlist going myself so I can get that free shipping. Always. But sometimes, when I get up to a $25 order, and if I'm slightly flush with cash, I just go ahead and pay for shipping. The delivery date is more reliable. If you use free shipping, it's very uneven. Sometimes the order won't leave Amazon for a week; another time it'll leave the next day. If you pay for shipping, it goes out right away, every time.

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2010 10:28:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2010 10:29:32 AM PDT
Hi,

You can still be loyal. It compares Amazon and "others" as a group, in prices too. Often the savings from "other" vendors disappear with their S&H costs. Amazon's prices most often beat competitors once you throw in free Super Saver Shipping.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2010 4:01:09 PM PDT

BD = Blu-ray Disk
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (723 customer reviews)

$14.98 $10.00