Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Improvements on an Already Great Toy, August 23, 2012
This review is from: VTech MobiGo 2 Touch Learning System - Orange (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My daughter received the original Mobigo when it first came out-- when she was three years old. She loved it almost obsessively. It was terrific for car rides and times when Mommy needed time to take a shower! After two years, it still works perfectly and still holds her interest, though she had begun favoring "apps" on my iPhone and tablet. When I was offered the chance to test out the new version, I was thrilled.

From the moment I put it in her hand, I had to fight to get it back out. All the old games are compatible, and they also kindly let you download any of your previously downloaded games onto this one, too. Nice, Vtech.

THE NEW STUFF IN VERSION 2

-Motion Sensor

My daughter adores the preloaded "Hamster Highway" game, which is the one that highlights the new motion sensor. When you tilt the Mobigo left, right, back, or forward, you control the action of the hamster rolling around the race track in his hamster ball. It's one of the rare Mobigo games that isn't educational, but that's fine. I don't need there to be an educational lesson in everything she does... pure entertainment is good, too! Plus, it helps with motor skills.

-Microphone and Photo Storage

The other main new feature is the microphone, which is highlighted in the "Photos" feature. You can add your own photos, making this a great spot to keep some of your child's favorite photos, but to start, they preload it with eight generic kid-friendly photos: a dog, a hot air balloon, etc. When you press the star, it tells you to "blow into the microphone to see the special effects." Actually, you can make any sound into the microphone, and it'll do one of two funny things to the picture: "warp" it or add bubbles to it. Not much variety, but you get the idea of what the microphone could be capable of in other games.

-Stylus

If you have trouble with accuracy of the touch screen (it's great for most games), you can now use a stylus, which is easily stored in the back of the device

-Shape/Size

It's slightly larger overall than the original Mobigo. I worried that the old case wouldn't fit, but it does... barely. The touch screens themselves are the same size, and so are the control buttons.

-Fixed the Downloads Issue!

This is a great one-- one of the few negatives about the original Mobigo was that it didn't save your downloaded games onto the device. Every time you turned off the device and turned it back on, any games you downloaded from the Vtech site would need to be re-downloaded, and I think you could do only three at a time. Now, awesomely, there's actual storage in the Mobigo. Sufficient storage. Once I downloaded the required software (not hard-- took two tries to get my device to work with it, but was fine after that), it provided me with free access to every game I'd ever downloaded on the original Mobigo, plus gave me three credits for free games. I happily discovered that I could fit all of them on the Mobigo 2 and that they'd stay there until I wanted to erase them! As of now, I have 15 downloaded games on the device and it's less than half-full.

THE NEGATIVES

-The downloadable games are really short and simple-- nothing exciting, and few are in the older children range.

-The "number keys" are really just the top letter keys, and the number placement is confusing. For instance, when you want to type the number 2, you're supposed to type the letter W. However, the number is situated right in the middle of the letters Q and W, so depending on your perspective, you might think you were supposed to type Q.

-These great new features don't yet have great new software to go with them... I'm sure Vtech will soon release software that takes advantage of the motion sensor and microphone, but in my search of Amazon and Vtech's sites, I don't yet see a single game that has these added features. Therefore, if you don't yet have a Mobigo at all, clearly you should get this new version-- Vtech has even been kind enough to price it the same as they priced the original. However, if you have the original and want to know if it's worth it to upgrade, I'd wait until there were at least a couple of games available to support the new features, or else you're really spending the additional money just for the few built-in games and the photo viewer.

-Touch screen is very good, but not perfect. I got frustrated a few times when the device instructed me to "use the arrows" to do something, and then I did hit an arrow, and it repeated the same instruction twice more before I got it to recognize that I was already hitting the arrow. Still, doesn't happen often.

MY RECOMMENDATION

Even despite these drawbacks, I'm still considering this a 5-star product. We've had most of the major electronic devices for kids in the preschool-to-1st grade range, and this one has been our favorite. It's been reliable, can withstand drops, has a good line of worthwhile educational software (particularly for 3-5-year-olds) and rarely gets annoying to listen to for Mommy in the front seat. If you've never had a Mobigo, I highly recommend this one, and if you already have one, I *will* highly recommend it as soon as there are a couple of pieces of software that take advantage of the new features!

[Add comment]