Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but niche appeal, October 14, 2009
This review is from: How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times (Paperback)
I purchased this book with an open mind. I can say that my purchase was motivated mostly out of respect to the author for his previous work and his blog. I tried to read this book with the only expectation that I would walk away from it with one or two pieces of useful knowledge more than what I started with. At the end of the day, I felt slightly cheated. Let me list some of the biggest flaws with this work so people can be aware of what they need to address if they are looking at this as a resource material.

1. I am really not sure who is the real audience for this book. After finishing it last night, I concluded that most of the 5 star WOW feedback did NOT read the book before they posted their reviews. I guess if you live on 20 acres in the country 5 miles away from your closest neighbor then a lot of the over view sections in this book are for you.
2. The book is written with a very pessimistic tone that leaves the reader with a sense of helplessness if he lives with in a city or greater metropolitan area. I live in a city and because of my job I am unable to leave for the country. I think this was the greatest mental hurdle when confronted with this work. If you are unable to commit to a change of location and life style, then reading this book almost feels like a waste of time. Tell me something I can use for city survival as my home, family, job and life have all taken place inside of a society.
3. Lots of the specific reference areas into subjects that are of great interest (canning, strengthening the defenses of your home, essential home gardening on less than an acre, and the firearms questions) differ to other works by name only. I was rather upset with the feeling that I had just read a survival appendix when many of the real questions I had were just glossed over and left me confused. I know that the author has a lot of knowledge in this realm, but seems to only reference it to his consulting business or divert questions to other authors.
4. The feeling of "missing the boat" or helplessness which the author brings into his pessimistic conclusions. If you have not already built a stronghold out in the country at the top of your mountain with an independent water supply 5 years ago, then you are probably boned. Good luck!

These are my own thoughts and conclusions based on this work purely for its standalone value. I still have a lot of confidence and respect in and for the author based on his previous work. I just wish he would have given us more. I am still giving him a slightly positive review '

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 1, 2009 6:16:44 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 26, 2015 11:20:05 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 30, 2009 8:11:44 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 26, 2015 11:20:14 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 19, 2010 1:43:18 PM PDT
The Raptor says:
So, because a prediction of the future is pessimistic or depressing you choose to ignore it and criticise. You make the mistake, so many have made before: just because you don't 'want' something to happen doesn't mean it won't.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 2:03:18 PM PDT
squodgy says:
In defence of your observations, I think part of the overall plan is to herd us into cityscapes anyway, where "they" will be able to enact a total control environment, and therefore IF you really desire self sufficiency and independence then living in the city is NOT an option.

Posted on May 27, 2013 10:58:57 AM PDT
Thomas Raven says:
Thanks for the heads up. I can only imagine the hyperbole used in a book that bases its marketing on the use of a pop song in the title.

Posted on Oct 28, 2013 3:57:51 PM PDT
Gnome I think you missed the point because this does not fit into your reality. It is if you stay in the city there is no long term defense therefore no long term survival. To teach how to survive in the worst case scenario by doing nothing, then staying put in a urban environment would be the greater disservice.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›