11 of 11 people found the following review helpful
This is a TOP NOTCH piece of eqiupment!,
This review is from: Marantz SR7002 Surround Receiver (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Try to make a long story short. I have been shopping for a new receiver, purchased and returned (1) Yamaha KX-V1065B, (1) Onkyo TX-SR608, and (1) Harman Kardon AVR-2600. I was pretty discouraged that I couldn't be pleased with any of these - saw the Amazon deal/closeout on the Marantz SR7200 - based on reviews about the sound quality I ordered one. I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER with the sound quality. This was replacing a Harman Kardon AVR310 and this Marantz is leaps and bounds above the Harman Kardon in sound quality. As for teh other brands - the Yamaha was fully featured, but the amp seemed very weak and had no low end, the Onkyo was really packed with features, but the amp really only sounded good at the highest volumes, at lower volumes it was really lacking, and the Harman Kardon really sounded tinny/digital which was disappointing.
As for this Marantz, let me start with the smaller list which would be the "cons"
1. The thing is so darn complex you really have to refer to the manual quite often
2. The remote is so darn complex I still haven't really figured it out - it is more cumbersome than helpful at this point.
3. No HDMI pass thru - would be a really nice feature and it looks like they are incorporating this in the "7005" replacement model.
For the positives, WAY too many to list - but here is a start..
1. VERY strong AMP that provides warm, rich sound - closest thing I have heard to an older analog receiver in a new digital based AVR.
2. Looks well built, feels well built, very sleek looking
3. The SOUND QUALITY is outstanding - my wife and I were listening to older DVD concerts, Blu-Ray concerts, and CD's all weekend. The analog inputs are a bit weaker than the digital inputs, but to be expected.
4. Price through amazon, originally 1399, now 599... I would buy two if I could afford it
5. Real multi room setup - not a joke like the Onkyo or Yamaha -this comes iwth a full 2nd remote and I/R repeater setup... and you can feed video to the 2nd room... very nice touch
6. A/B switch - like the old school receivers, one of the only ones I saw that had true A/B speaker setup - very NICE!
7. Audessy setup was great - very neat and very easy - sounds excellent too.
8. Very good match for Klipsch spekaers - I have older Klipsch towers with horn loaded tweeters, and some brands of receiver just aren't a good match - Yamaha was a bad bad combo, Onkyo was only slightly better, with the Marantz it actually sounds crystal crystal clear at ANY volume level and doesn't overpower the horns vs. the bass.
No hesitation to recommend this product. I was originally going to purchase the NR-1601 after much research, but I decided to forgo the 3D capability and HDMI pass thru for way more power and features at the same price point.