1.0 out of 5 stars How to Lose an Audience in 10 Days, February 27, 2006
I enjoy spoof movies. I've seen "Airplane" a million times, the Scary Movie franchise still makes me laugh, and the "Naked Gun" films were inspired and fresh. Heck, even "Not Another Teen Movie" had its funny moments.

This film, on the other hand, simply falls flat. I think the writers forgot that to make a spoof, they had to do more than just menetion the movie they are spoofing, or at least make the spoof moment somewhat satirical and entertaining. It's like they made a list of all the films they wanted to make fun of and then couldn't come up with ways to make them funny.

Examples:

1) We need to spoof Pretty Woman! Let's have the male star dress up as a hooker and walk down Melrose in a flashback sequence! Wait a minute, huh? Why is the male star imitating a female prostitute again?

2) We need to spoof Meet the Parents! I know, let's have the goofy Ben Stiller character knock down the urn with the mother's ashes in it, only THIS time, we'll have an entire dead body spill out of the urn instead of ashes. Oh that will be a hoot! And THEN we'll have the cat go and french kiss the dead body instead of pee on it. That's hysterical!

3) We need to spoof Kill Bill!! (Wait... what? Is that even a date movie?)

4) We need to spoof Hitch. I know! Let's have a dwarf play some guy named Hitch who gives love advice to our lead female. Hysterical!

5) We need to spoof When Harry Met Sally. I have a great idea. For no reason at all, we'll start a dinner scene with our male star faking an orgasm (ridiculously I might add). He won't be trying to prove a point or anything, he'll just be wailing around like a dying seal for no reason at all at the beginning of the scene. That will get a huge laugh.

6) We need to spoof My Big Fat Greek Wedding. So let's have our female be a member of a huge family, and we'll have her father be a black man and her mother be Indian. That's too much humor right there folks.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. This movie doesn't hit the same, satirical notes that better spoof movies do. It just succeeds in mentioning a bunch of date movies and making you feel sick to your stomach while at the same time feeling confused. I guess that's worth ONE star....

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 9, 2010 4:26:51 AM PDT
Excellent review. Like you, I've seen Airplane, the Naked Gun movies, the Scary Movie series, etc. hundreds of times and I love them all (Loaded Weapon is another favorite of mine). But this era of "Date Movie", "Disaster Movie" (the title of that movie also proved to be its description), "Epic Movie"... They are all so flimsy, transparent, predictable, and not funny at all. The clever wit that went into the great spoof movies seems to have vanished.

Posted on Aug 4, 2010 1:45:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 4, 2010 1:46:53 AM PDT
K.W. says:
If you all think Airplane and Naked Gun where clever, I'd hate to see what you think is just downright silly. Don't get me wrong, I liked those movies too, but they are very silly and not exactly what most people would consider clever or witty. Thanks for the review, I will be avoiding this one. If I am honest though, Epic Movie was hilarious, contrary to my expectations. If you did not think Darrel Hamond was briliant in that movie you are soarly missing out. His portrayal of Johnny Dep was better than anything I can think of in any of those classics.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2013 10:07:54 PM PST
Steven Mason says:
Good review, good examples.

KW, you've got better things to do than nitpick over whether spoofs like Airplane are "clever," don't you? You shouldn't be overthinking things when discussing spoof movies. Geez! :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›