3.0 out of 5 stars A selective introduction, June 6, 2011
This review is from: Get Your Photography on the Web: The Fastest, Easiest Way to Show and Sell Your Work (Paperback)
This book is a good introduction to several aspects of getting your photography on the web, but it is just that, an introduction. From there, you are going to need to log some serious hours on each topic.

He is upfront about the fact that he recommends the services he uses, and he doesn't profit from these recommendations. But he is not a consumer reports of on-line services. I appreciate his honesty. On that subject, he uses Mpix, which everybody at NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals) does, but personally, I've found them to be rather difficult to deal with, and I recently read an article comparing their print quality with WHCC and Bayphoto, that is causing me to do my own print comparisons.

I like his explanation of Wordpress the most. He gives you background explaining how it came about and how pages compare to blog posts, and some organization tips.

I was surprised that he recommends Flash-based portfolios, because I've heard other pros say they are moving their websites completely away from Flash due to the huge popularity of the iPad and the fact that Flash doesn't work on it.

His info on Digimarc and copyright was okay. I totally agree with him that it's important, I just wish he would have gone into more detail, like hitting the obvious problems you'll run into, common confusions and such. But he overall simply refers you to their websites. There is a book that discusses copyright in more detail Photographer's Survival Manual: A Legal Guide for Artists in the Digital Age (Lark Photography Book).

I liked the examples he gave at the end of the book giving real life case studies, but that needed more meat also. For instance, when discussing Moose Peterson's website, he brings up SWF (single-frame Flash files), and how they protect his images, but doesn't explain how to use them. But then I did really like the story that Moose shoots video when he's out shooting photos, I thought that was a great idea.

So I was conflicted about this book. I really like RC (the author) as an instructor, and I felt like he touched on important and interesting things. But I also feel like it's just the beginning of my research and I still need to spend a lot of time researching on the internet and will invest in at least a few more books.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 15, 2012 9:20:32 AM PDT
Thanks for the review ... I flipped the book at the local store the other day, and came away conflicted as well. Seemed to be a great overview of the process, but it left me feeling that there is a lot more to do under the hood to get the engine running. Thanks again.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 4:32:18 PM PDT
Libby says:
Have you any further book recommendations? I am still considering purchasing this book too - your review of his honesty I consider a reason to purchase.
Thank you.