Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid New Features + More Affordable, September 9, 2008
This review is from: Apple iPod touch 16 GB 2nd Generation (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
The iPod Touch debuted only one year ago, and this is the first update. I was excited to pick up the new iPod Touch at the Apple Store because I had never owned a first generation, though I do own iPhones.

I want to concentrate primarily on the new features:

First, physical volume buttons are now placed on the side of the iPod Touch as they are on the iPhone. This is very convenient. It allows you to adjust the volume of your music, without having to pull the entire device out of your pocket and activate the screen. A time saver.

Second, many people requested a built-in speaker for the iPod Touch like is available on the iPhone. Apple listened. However, there is one important point to make on this! The iPod Touch is incredibly small, and Apple is forced to put an incredibly small speaker. The speaker in the iPod Touch sounds worst than the speaker in the iPhone. I have compared it side by side, and it's fairly significant, and the iPhone speaker isn't that great to begin with. However, in a quiet room, the speaker is still useful for previewing a song you might want to buy, or for playing games. However, still, if you want great sound, you need to connect your headphones.

Genius - This new feature is really surprisingly good. When you're listening to a song you enjoy, select the genius option. It will create a playlist for you, with songs that go together nicely with the one you started with. It helps you rediscover great music from your collection with a playlist suited to the mood you're in. I didn't think it would do a good job compiling this list, but it has been quite impressive.

Applications - It's great to have the ability to buy (or get some free) applications right on the iPod Touch. Furthermore, with the software update this new iPod Touch comes with, the Application installation process is so much smoother than it had been even on my iPhone. It now works how you want it to, seamlessly. I like having a weather application that includes doppler radar images, and that is free. I also have several games on it. There is a great variety of applications available from hundreds of third-parties right on the iPod itself, so you are certain to find something that interests you. I really like the new release of Spore, for the iPod Touch and iPhone. Apple is really pushing the games and quietly suggest they are challenging Nintendo and Sony. They are innovative and interesting games, but I think they have a ways to go, to challenge those game makers.

Nike + is now built in too, so if you have the shoes and the puck, the iPod Touch is ready to receive the data from it. Battery life is improved to 36 hours audio and 6 hours video according to Apple. I find the audio number fairly accurate if you don't light up the display much, but the video number is a slight bit harder to achieve.

Of course, the new ipod Touch does look and feel even better than the first generation, from my small experiences with the previous one. I also think it feels cooler than my iPhones, but obviously your interpretation may very. I like the metal back on the iPod Touch. It looks classy, though it is prone to scratches.

One of my favorite features continues to be, when in my home on Wi-Fi, to reach down for the Touch, use Safari web browser and look something up. It's great.

Overall, it was a solid update for the iPod Touch. I wish the speaker could be better on it, but I believe that is due to the physical restrictions of the small device. I could have knocked it to four stars for that, but I think most people realize a built in speaker isn't the way you want to listen to most audio on an iPod to begin with. I'm impressed by the second generation iPod Touch, and I think with the third party applications getting better and becoming more popular, more people will consider the Touch.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 9, 2008 5:05:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2008 5:09:09 PM PDT
C. Gill says:

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2008 9:02:37 PM PDT
Steve H says:
Sorry it was so bad for you. I am really impressed by it. I have two iPhones, and all around I think I like this new touch even more. I hope others enjoy the device too.

Posted on Sep 10, 2008 5:48:54 AM PDT
A. Mparsons says:
Stop reviewing stuff that you dont own yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2008 4:50:34 AM PDT
LJ says:
Mparsons, how do you know he doesn't own it?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2008 7:56:50 PM PDT
C. Gill says:
exactly, it's bs!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2008 7:46:25 AM PDT
D. Smail says:
He says in it that he picked one up, and lists more than enough details to prove this.
A. Mparsons, you are an idiot.

Posted on Sep 16, 2008 12:31:30 PM PDT
Stephen, thanks for your helpful and detailed review.

I'm curious: why did you just now buy a Touch if you already own an iPhone? The Touch seems to be an iPhone without the phone. In other words, what do you get from the Touch that you don't get from your iPhone, and does it really justify spending another $300?

I apologize if it sounds like I'm doubting or criticizing. I'm not. I'm just surprised because I previously believed that the markets for iPhones and Touches would be almost completely separate: why would anyone who owns an iPhone spend the big bucks on a Touch when the iPhone she already owns does everything the Touch does? And, why would anyone who previously made the decision to buy a Touch (probably because they don't want to go with AT&T) now buy a Touch?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 23, 2009 5:46:24 AM PDT
Philip says:
the amazon vine program? it allows people to get a pre-release look at products
‹ Previous 1 Next ›