1,193 of 1,249 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Which lens to get, June 15, 2009
This review is from: Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras (Camera)
I have a 18mm-55mm lens, and was in search for a telephoto, I read so many reviews that were so complex I didn't know what I was reading. I bought the 55mm-250mm lens and now understand some of the reviews.

To break it down in simply terms:

55mm (the lowest setting on the 55mm-250mm) you can not stand right on top of a subject, the lens makes you too close everything won't fit in the frame. That is Not what the lens is for & might be were some of the bad reviews come from. (Buy the 18-55mm for those close up shots)

It takes time for the auto focus, it still Fast but not as fast as my 18mm-55mm. Still your not going to miss taking a picture of a bird sitting in a tree far away. But at baseball game of a kid catching a 50mph ball I missed some shots (why I gave 4 stars). Not the lens fault more mine I should have used manual focus!!

On auto focus, after all it has a LOT of setting to go through 55 to 250mm settings. No duh the 18-55mm auto focus faster. Think of it as a deck of cards, you (and auto focus) can flip through 18-55 cards faster then a deck of 55-250 cards. Some of the reviews complain about the auto focus, it does work of course just not as fast as smaller lens.

No matter what if you are in the back row and your son on the stage at a school play, your picture will be Prefect and it will look like you were in the front row.

That is what this lens is for, where you can take time to set it up, adjust and take time to snap a picture. At a baseball game you need to use Manual focus, (you can turn the ring faster then auto) and you can get great pics, auto might let you down during fast action but not with still pictures!!

I suggest getting 18mm-55mm for everyday use, for those great up close, fast action, birthday shots; I Love that lens. Then get the 55mm-250mm for those far away school plays, scenery vacation, and birds sitting in a far away tree the lens is prefect for those kinds of pictures.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 25, 2011 10:59:09 PM PDT
Megan says:
Thank you for "breaking it down". I'm a beginner too, and when I read some of these reviews I'm more confused... I have 3 boys myself and soccer season is coming up. I was worried about the zoom taking too long for those action shots but your advice to switch to manual mode was helpful. I'll be requesting this lens for mothers day and look forward to taking pictures of my family! Thanks so much for the feedback! Happy shooting!

Posted on May 27, 2011 11:07:22 AM PDT
Thankfully someone puts logic into what this lens does and does not do and what its intended for. I have the 28-135mm zoom and its a great all around lens but want more reach so this lens should do that. As you say its not for photographing the family opening Christmas presents, the 18-55mm is for that, but if you want to see a hummingbird up close and personal this is the lens.

Posted on Jun 18, 2011 11:57:31 AM PDT
Leland White says:
Thanks a bunch for the simplified review! I'm seriously considering buying a DSLR and an additional lens, and a lot of this stuff is new to me. But now I have a lens I can add to my wishlist!

Posted on Aug 15, 2011 1:19:33 PM PDT
Sara Murdock says:
I'm a beginner, i just got a canon eos rebel for xmas just to take pictures of my cakes, but now i'm trying to learn it for everything like i use my digital camera for. You really explained the lens very well and made me understand it, since i'm still trying to figure everything out. I will be adding this to my shopping cart thanks to you!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2011 1:31:07 PM PDT
Sara.. For whats its worth I have this 55-250mm lens and have also purchased a Canon 70-200mm L lens (L lenses are top of the Canon line) costing at least $1000 more than the 55-250mm lens. Please believe me that the 55-250mm is nearly as good as the L lens. To me its the lens I would gladly take to an amusement park as its very clear and light weight. The L lenses are for professional pictures, weddings and the like. I truly believe the 55-250 is the best lens for the money you can get from Canon.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 2:48:16 PM PDT
Thanks for the review, good way to break it down for folks that are getting up to speed on lenses. However, I can't agree with this statement:

"think of it as a deck of cards, you (and auto focus) can flip through 18-55 cards faster then a deck of 55-250 cards."

Here you are confusing focus with zoom. 55-250 is the ZOOM range, which has nothing to do with how fast a lens can autofocus. For example, your yourself set the lens at a given zoom length, say 250mm. Then when you focus, the lens does NOT have to parse through the entire zoom range of 55-250 in order to focus. It ONLY has to focus at the 250mm focal length that you already have it set at. Your statement makes it sound like the lens has to attempt focus at all the focal lengths of 55 to 250, which it does not. The reason this lens has a slower focus than other lenses is because it has the cheaper front-focus motor vs. the more expensive, faster, and silent Ring USM (ultra-sonic motor) focus system.

Other than that, your review in "simply terms" (simple terms?) is helpful and this EF-S lens is a good value for the price, although it is known as the "dust-sucker" because the zoom mechanism isn't sealed and it sucks dust into the internal parts of the lens.

Posted on Sep 19, 2011 6:02:22 PM PDT
G. Donahoe says:
You might find it helpful when taking pictures at your kids baseball games to try and pre-autofocus by pressing the shutter button half way. The camera will lock focus and then when you want to get the shot finish pushing the button the full way down and it should take the shot right away. Depending on the camera that you are using you should also be able to take more than one shot at a time, which should increase the chances of getting just the shot that you want. Good luck.

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 12:52:29 AM PST