5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated, Excellent TV., July 1, 2011
This review is from: LG Infinia 60PZ950 60-Inch 1080p 600 Hz Active 3D THX Certified Plasma HDTV with TruBlack Filter and Smart TV (2011 Model) (Electronics)
I originally bought last year's LG flagship model, the 60PX950. It was a great tv at a great price, but there were several problems with it, including bad screen uniformity and poor 3D performance. I was able to replace the set with the PZ950, and I'm happy that I did.

The screen has perfect uniformity. It doesn't have any clouding or a "dirty screen effect" like my older panel did. It outputs color that looks very natural, and everything looks crystal clear. Surprisingly, non HD material looks quite good with it as well. It makes internet video look much better when displayed over my old Samsung LCD. There is also much less "line bleeding" compared to last year.

The TruBlack filter does a decent job, but it will not eliminate reflections completely. I have two large windows behind my seating area, and I can still watch tv in the daytime with no issues with the shades open.

3D is excellent on this tv, much better than it was on the PX950. The Bluetooth receiver and glasses used this year make a big difference compared to last years infrared glasses, as there are much less flickering and brightness issues. Under the Sea looks absolutely stunning, and 3D gaming is fun every so often. I recommend active 3D like this set uses over passive 3D, as the image in active glasses is much more detailed. I believe it compares well to Samsung's and Panasonic's 3D, with Panasonic being a bit better, but at a higher price.

The PZ950 also has excellent response time, and minimal input lag. You can play Call of Duty or any other game which requires fast movement with no issues. This is also improved over last year.

The SmartTV internet features also seem like they could be useful (Netflix, weather), but I find it useless to me, as there are few apps outside of Netflix and Youtube worth using, and navigating the menu seems slow and cumbersome. The magic wand Wii-like remote makes things a little easier, but I still find most of this feature useless to me. I could not play my MKV files wirelessly, but it can play divx just fine. What I did not like is that you cannot adjust your picture settings while in SmartTV, and the TV defaults to its "Vivid" profile, which looks awful. I have my PC connected to the tv so I just avoid SmartTV completely.

The only thing that I don't like about this tv is the black levels. They were supposed to be improved over last year, but they look exactly the same, which is poorer than what Samsung's and Panasonic's offerings can do. If this tv had comparable black levels to Samsung and Panasonic, it would be the best tv on the market.

If the Samsung 59PND7000 and 8000 models did not have the peeling screen problems that a majority of their sets are having, I would have went with one of those instead, as the price of the D7000 is very similar. A peeling screen is a deal breaker though.

With the Free Blu-ray player and 2 Free glasses deal, this tv is an excellent value with great bang for the buck for the price. The VT30 Panasonic is far too expensive, and the Samsung tvs are far too risky right now, making the LG one of the best choices in its price range for the time being.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]