4.0 out of 5 stars Different But Not a Bad Game, October 18, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I think we would all like another installment in the single player Ratchet and Clank franchise; However I am not going to bash insomniac games for trying something new. This product is as advertised, a 4-player co-op plat-former. Anyone who has taken the time to read or watch an advertisement for this game should have known that it wouldn't be like the rest of the RaC games. Overall it isn't a bad game, but still I have some nitpicking to do.

First off, because it is a 4-player game you do not have control over the camera. This gives the feeling that the game isn't as detailed as its single player predecessors. Still there are some beautiful levels that give the ratchet and clank feeling. Another thing that bugs me are the circles that float bellow the characters. It makes me feel like I am playing Marvel Ultimate Allience or something.

Now, I can't speak for everyone but RaC is sort of a guilty pleasure type of game because I am an adult. That is one of the things I like about the series is that, it is an 'e' rated game that can actually be enjoyed by EVERYONE. Still in this game the characters tend to say cheesy one-liners such as, "that was good teamwork buddy!" This makes you stop and realize that you are playing a children's game. The multi-player mode itself seems like a gimmick for little kids. I don't see myself telling my friends "man, drop that Madden 2012 bulls!@t so we can throw down on some ratchet and clank!" But if you do have children than this would be a major plus, as the multi-player mode is actually pretty fun.

Overall the game is pretty fun. I think the nostalgia for the series will be both the saving grace and downfall for this game. People who are big fans of the series will enjoy a change of pace from the conventional RaC titles, but those who want more of the same will despise this game. Its definitely worth playing as long as you are open minded to something new.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 18, 2011 12:34:48 PM PDT
Good review, but I've read about the game and watched videos and it was never clear that there would be no camera control for single players, an important distinction. There is also something very different about the graphics, they don't have the same design aesthetic or consistency as the previous games. Based on the videos I saw I thought the graphics were going to be an improvement over the already terrific graphics of the last two PS3 games, but they're actually quite disappointing. It's not really a multiplayer "Ratchet and Clank" game, it's a multiplayer game for kids that borrows the characters and some design elements from the Ratchet and Clank series.

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 7:52:31 PM PDT
MDT says:
I wholeheartedly agree with this review. So much so that I'm not even going to submit my own as this one is just perfect for what I'd want to say. Not so much cyberspace's remark about it just borrowing elements. I can applaud Insomniac for trying something new with the franchise, where most companies with such a property would've just given us "Ratchet & Clank Party!" or "Ratchet & Clank Racing!" or something like that.

To add to the "no camera control" talk (Can't recall how many times I've hit the right analog stick, expecting the camera to shift and instead finding my Quick Select open), the overall level design is much different too and it kind of irks me. Only slightly, not a whole lot. The day before this came out, I managed to find a copy of the first Ratchet & Clank game at a Salvation Army and picked it up. What I noticed and recalled from most other titles is that usually when you start a world, you get that main outpost where your ship is. Then you have about three or four different directions you can take in whichever order you choose, always being able to return back to a world if you missed something. I guess to keep it more in line with "drop-in/drop-out" play, that design is completely absent in this game. Everything is very streamline to where you run through a level, you get to the end, and you end up reaching the next level.

I also must agree not only with the characters saying "We make a great team" and what not, but just a lot of the dialogue in general. You can say Ratchet and Clank is a guilty pleasure, but keep this in mind - the first four installments, I believe, are all rated T for Teen. It wasn't until PSP and PS3 came around that they toned down the humor and language for younger audiences (Remember that F bomb they bleeped out in Going Commando?). So saying you like Ratchet and Clank five years ago doesn't really run alongside today's R&C. Even with that said though, the first installment for the PS3, Tools of Destruction, I thought was excellent. It had all the same feel of the classic games, like it didn't miss a beat, yet it also utilized some new elements that I liked. Even the transition to Crack in Time left some things out I had kind of hoped would be roped back in. As a offshoot, this is good. It's not great, it's not what I'd call a true sequel especially since it's not picking up after any of the business from the end of ACiT, but it's fun.

I'm still having fun with the game. The weapon customization isn't really what it used to be though, but I'm not too concerned - I use the wrench about 80% of the time anyway (That can be said about any R&C game for me though - if I don't have to shoot, I'm not going to). But yeah - this is R&C for the Wii generation. For all these people who went crazy over New Super Mario Bros. because you could play with four people at the same time, this is for them. It's a fun platformer with multiplayer co-op, except you have to actually work together to progress through the game, where with Mario, you can just bounce off each other for as far as the game's concerned. I would like to see, though, if not a new R&C game soon after, then maybe at least an HD collection of the PS2 titles to show people what they missed out on if PS3 was their first encounter with the franchise. Otherwise, congrats to Insomniac for making a fun family game that doesn't invoke the Move for the PS3 (I work in retail - now I have something I can recommend to people with kids).

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 7:45:40 AM PST
I have only played the downloadable demo from PSN.

I really enjoyed the first person shooter aspect of the other PS3 titles in the series, and the ability to explore every level. All of that is gone in this game.

Conversely, with 4-player action, it is one of the few games my wife and I, along with our two boys(ages 9 & 4), can play together and not be hindered by the 4yo's gameplay, but also not a dumb toddler type game like catching butterflies in a net or something. We love "Fat Princess" for 4-player, and child friendly 4-player online gameplay. R&C: all 4 one is just something else to play, not really a game I would play without the kids like the previous two PS3 R&C games were.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.6 out of 5 stars (237 customer reviews)

$19.99 $16.50