Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Cecile McLorin Salvant $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECTION, for Docsis 3.0 Installations, October 24, 2009
This review is from: Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem (Personal Computers)
I was renting a modem from Comcast for $4 per month which really was horrible. The modem would crash, reboot, not work, etc... I spoke to some Comcast tech's on Twitter and they recommended I go and buy this modem since it was not yet being distributed by them in my area. Voila, off to Amazon I went.

I purchased the modem, it arrived the next day. I turned everything off....router, computer, etc. The setup was as follows:

A. Plug cable into new modem.
B. Plug ethernet cable from modem to your computer (first time only).
C. Power up modem.
D. Power up computer.
E. For Comcast - Web page comes up that allows you to change your modem.
F. Enter some details....ie. your account number, etc.
G. DONE....shutdown modem, and plug ethernet cable to Router.
H. Enjoy DOCSIS 3.0

I have had this thing for a few weeks now and it works perfectly well on a daily basis. We are actually getting what we pay for...which was not the case with the old junk that comcast provided. We are getting about 60mbps down and 12mbps up...on a good day.

Motorola has an excellent modem again..

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 96 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2009 1:46:28 PM PST
Thank you this is exactly what I needed to know!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2009 6:40:02 AM PST
Tarun says:
Awesome....I have been running this almost 2 months now and it has yet to disappoint me. GREAT MODEM!

Posted on Oct 10, 2010 10:14:40 PM PDT
Bishop says:
You did this without having to talk to a Comcast/Xfinity person? Hmm... I wonder if this will work in my area. I sucks having to wait for the next customer service rep and then having to go another 20 to 30 minutes trying to get them to register the modem's serial #, etc.

Posted on Oct 14, 2010 2:08:19 PM PDT
Bishop says:

Posted on Mar 4, 2011 5:30:11 AM PST
K. Hinson says:
I'm not really sure what web page for Comcast that "comes up" the reviewer is referring to here... but the Comcast technician I spoke with last night when changing from the leased modem to this one told me that you have to contact Comcast to change modems.

I unplugged everything having to do with my old modem and my router and plugged in this new modem directly to my PC and powered it back up and called Comcast. The technician asked me for 3 different numbers off of the package:
The first was a customer # of some sort.
The second was the MAC #.
The third was the model #.
After waiting for her to do her thing for a few minutes, she came back on the line and asked me to restart my computer. Once I did that, everything worked fine.
I then shut down my PC and connected the modem to my router just like the old one had been hooked up and powered the PC back up and -- BOOM! It worked perfectly.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2011 3:16:32 PM PDT
Cayhb says:
But ... Have you noticed any speed improvement? In my case, there is no real difference between RCA DOCSIS 2.0 modem and this one. Both of them increased my 12M/2M to 22M/4M. I wish I can get 60M/12M by SB6120 magic, but unfortunately it isn't.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2011 6:45:40 PM PDT
MoniqueDC says:
Same for me, Mr/Ms Hinson...except comcast took ONE HOUR to update their account info before they would send the activation signal....they gave me a trouble ticket...said they could not do it while I was talking to them. Depite the annoyance with Comcast, the modem appears to work fine.

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 4:32:49 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2011 7:20:15 AM PDT
A. OROURKE says:
I just ordered this modem along with a separate wireless router. This is the modem only with no wireless capabilities built-in. You do not "need" one with wireless as that option is up to the end-user.

Posted on Jun 27, 2011 6:35:03 PM PDT
Just curious have any of you upgraded your ethernet cabling to cat 6. Is is worth it or necessary for gigabit ethernet.?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›