Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

4.0 out of 5 stars Initial review from an original YSFE owner: They might be on to something here., November 8, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012 (Video Game)
As an owner of the original Kinect game, and a player of many other workout games since (UFC, Biggest Loser, etc) I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised with this new version.

As the original one did, the game gives you a body scan when you originally sign in. That image is then what is used to play games. Oddly enough though, I've yet to find anywhere in the game where I can modify anything it measured. It also didn't ask me for my weight so I have no idea where to input that or update it. It did recognize that I was a previous player and carried over my calorie burn count which I thought was great. After that, a ton of achievements were unlocked, which I also didn't mind :)

Gone are the days of the dreaded menu system from the past. Now, your hands are used in a push and hold motion to activate what you want to do. This is much improved over the old hold the arm out with hand extended to touch a dot for 4 seconds to activate. I always had problems with that one.

The main menu is broken down into 4 sections: My Zone (your settings, goals etc...btw, be sure to go in and change the measurement system to Imperial for those in the US since it is defaulted to metric), Activities, Workouts and Classes. Once I told the game what I wanted to achieve (with several options to choose from) it created a routine for me to follow and there are several to choose from:

Classes include African Rhythms, Boot Camp, Hip Hop, Bollywood, Cardio Boxing, Yoga, Latin Dance and Zen Energy.
Activities include Warm Up, Stack Up, Stomp It, Run the World, Wallbreaker and Jump Rope. Run the World here is amazing...more about that later.
Workouts include Cardio, Arms, Abs, Toning, Back, Sports Prep, Glutes, Health and Legs

I jumped right into the Run the World and have to say this is fantastic! You run in place in various cities around the world and jog by landmarks. To keep the run interesting, you are monitored for speed (how quickly your knees are moving) and given challenges throughout the run including "high knees" and speed challenges. Along the way, you pass makers regarding the landmarks and a color photo pops up with the training giving you a brief history lesson or fact about it. Very cool.

The recognition on sit-ups went very well, with push-ups still a little off for me. I may have been doing something wrong, but it is the by far the best recognition of push-ups for me of any game I've used before. During your training the background will change and spice it up which was also a nice feature.

One final item that didn't change that seemed to bother a lot of previous players was that there is really no defined way to exit the game or button to push. You still have to get to the pause menu or use your controller to go to the dashboard. If someone can figure out where to input/update the current weight and pass that along, I would greatly appreciate it.

All in all, I have to say that I'm very impressed with the new version as I believe they've really worked on making it a great workout game that is much improved from the first one.

**Later in the day edit**

I think they have hit a home run with this game. The jump rope section is like crack! It's guitar hero, except with your feet. An absolute blast and fun for the whole family! (without getting them addicted to crack, of course) :)

I also did the Boot Camp initial workout and was pretty dang tired after doing it, and I'm really no slouch. The only issue with that was the trainer just started going into movements so you miss a few the first time. But seriously, the background changes through a military theme throughout.

LOVING IT!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 12 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2011 2:23:28 PM PST
C. S. says:
Thank you for posting such a prompt review. I can't find a review online anywhere! I'm running down to the store (literally, ha) and picking this up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 2:40:54 PM PST
D. Couse says:
No problem. Let me know if you figure out where user input is allowed.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 4:36:27 AM PST
Grizelda says:
Does this version have tne same problem/bug as the first: - the one where you lose all progress if you switch programs? (You can read specifics in top negative review if you dont understand what I mean)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 6:26:24 AM PST
vgogte1 says:
Thanks for asking this Grizelda, I have the same question. Can someone please answer it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 10:53:53 AM PST
It's not exactly the same. In this, you have a series of programs and you can work your way up each of them. That means that you get credit for doing Part 1 (it has some inane name), then credit for Part 2 and so forth. But you can also try all the others at the same time, so it lets you try many ones.

I did e-mail about the changing weight thing to Ubisoft and got a very nice answer that that information was not available in the game booklet or online. THAT'S WHY I ASKED! So, long story short, I don't think you CAN change your weight right now which makes me guess that the calorie counts are off. But it's still a very good game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2011 12:43:22 PM PST
vgogte1 says:
Thanks for your reply James, it would be indeed very sad if users can't update the weight.

I have one more question. Upto how many players does the game support? I mean if my wife and I are taking turns on the same CD, the software can store our personal data(progress, goals etc.)? Whats the limit if there are more than 2 users?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2011 9:05:55 AM PST
D. Couse says:
I have figured out the objective progress bar. My initial settings told me to work out 3x a week for 60 minutes a day for 4 weeks, or 720 minutes total. I have worked out a total of 72 minutes and the bar is representing 10% of my objective. I also checked it at the 8% level and it calculated out also.

I have not confirmed, this, but I would suspect that if you change objectives, your existing progress would be lost. I base this on the fact that it asks you to retake the initial quiz which would mean to me that everything is reset and you start over.

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 1:39:35 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 14, 2011 1:40:31 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 1:40:46 PM PST
Williams says:
I'm wondering the same thing. Thanks for posting!

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 11:12:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2011 11:13:44 AM PST
buggybear says:
Does the 2012 verison have enough of the same stuff from the original that you'd recommend just getting the new one or are they different enough that you'd want both? Thanks for helping me decide!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›