5.0 out of 5 stars Vast improvement!, October 4, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: NBA 2K13 (Video Game)
I just got this game today, so this is my initial impression based solely on gameplay, graphics, visual effect and presentation. I heard this year's PC version lacks some gamemodes that are provided for the console version such as "my team" and other online based features. But I only play "season mode," so that doesn't feel like a big loss to me. Also, 2k decided to provide the all-star game, slam dunk contest, and 3 point shooting contest for only those who pre-ordered and pre-paid (this, by the way, is absolutely ridiculous). I personally don't care that much because as I said before I focus on playing the season mode. However, I wouldn't mind if 2K provided all the features it offers for console users. * Note to 2k: charge more and I'm sure PC users will pay for that extra features too.

NOTE: Personal beef with 2k12:
- I was such a huge fan of 2k11 that 2k12 was personally a huge disappointment. I couldn't bare playing the game until the official patch was released; AI kept holding on to the ball until the shot clock ran out, and hoisted bizarre 3 point shots that miraculously went in. Yes, you could adjust the sliders blah blah, but the gameplay was absolutely horrible. Even after the patch was released I never developed the "love" I had with 2k11. The movements of the players were awkward, the faces of the players were terrible (they all had this alien-like slippery skin texture), and the controls were... just weird.
- My initial impression with 2k13: This year's game is a vast improvement over 2k12 in almost all aspects. So far the game feels great, and I'm certain that I won't go back to 2k11.

1. PC requirements:
- I own a Dell XPS 15 with NVIDA 525M 1GM, and this game runs flawlessly on my laptop on "high" graphic settings.

2. Visual effects, graphics, and presentation:
- I'll keep this short because "seeing is believing." It's awesome. Players are more 3d rendered. They still have that slippery skin texture, but much better than 2k12. The movements and motions of the players are incredibly smooth.
- Oh, 2K came up with a new control: now you get to use the right stick for "free-style" dribbling and other things. So I think there'll be a learning curve for all of those who play this game.

3. Conclusion:
- Yes, I have yet to play the game in depth because I only got it today, but I'm pleasantly surprised that 2k13 is not a disaster like the 2k12.
- Not sure if an official patch will be released in the future, but so far the gameplay is not sloppy like the pre-patched version of 2k12. In fact, I can't really pinpoint a major flaw so far.
- If you're a NBA 2k fan, you won't regret buying this especially after the disaster of a game 2k offered last year. Good job, 2k!
- However, I do hope EA sports releases NBA Live next year so diehard basketball fans like myself have more options to play :)

[Add comment]