5.0 out of 5 stars S4200 - 4500 Need To Share, October 10, 2012
This review is from: Fujifilm S4500 Compact Digital Camera (Electronics)
Why I need to share.... I have been a photographer for decades and have had dozens of digital cameras of all price ranges so may be helpful to some looking for this type of camera. Long lens at under $200. Not a mini pocket camera but about perfect in the hand.

Had both 4200 and 4500 cameras for several weeks now and used both enough to think I know something about this camera as they only differ in the lenses. The negative remarks on Amazon had me comparing my experiences but I am very impressed with what I found. Two things seem near top of importance to me, quality of pictures and feel using the camera. I liked the 25mm 4200 so much I purchased the 30mm 4500 too.
- Time between shots is effected by the speed of the memory card as class 10 gives about 1/2 second recovery for next shot, which seems much the same as most cameras performance today.
- Case design is great. It has some plastic textured surface everywhere your fingers may want to grip and a rubber grip on the lens barrel. Also feels substantial and balanced with 4 batteries installed. Flash pop-up button release handy to hit left of flash unit.
- Picture quality is similar to other better consumer cameras. But the big lens delivers better quality than any camera this price range I know of, with color details surprising. I use local mountain scenes for outside test comparisons and this camera has created detailed quality even out to 25mm and 30mm full zoom shots better than any more expensive cameras I have owned.
- Battery life is great too.
- Auto focus seems fast to lock on.
- Price is a deal!
Only somewhat negative thing I found is the battery door has stiff spring contacts that take a little care to close, needing one hand to release the lock button while pressing down on the lid and the second to press down too while sliding lid closed. (Works for me..)
There are many technical things camera reviewers cover but what is important that I want this camera with me at all times. It has been a blast going around finding anything to "test" the camera because it takes great pictures. Is that not enough!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 7 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2012 12:54:53 AM PDT
G. MD says:
have u noticed any highlight being blown out?, I used to have S1800, somewhat similar but I got rid of it when I noted in bright sun light highlights were all exaggerated compared to my other cams. good review.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 1:47:17 PM PST
Pegleg says:
I was going back and forth between the two models trying to figure out the differences when I decided to read the reviews. Yours was what I needed and I thank you for sharing your expertise.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 2:08:12 PM PST
Lumix Fan says:
Great, glad to hear it helped. They only differ in the lens as far as I could tell but the added 5X power over 25X is amazing.

Posted on Feb 13, 2013 9:47:44 PM PST
I am a novice and recently purchased the S4500, and even as i have read all the reviews was still unsure about the camera this is after i purchased it and snapped a few photos even.
Bob you sir have taken away some of my buyers remorse with your review, having the experience you have had with high end cameras and cameras in this price range and indeed it is a relief to know i chose a good camera. Now i know its not a 800 to 1,000 dollar piece but for my needs it beats a cameraphone also, and this was the extend of my Equipment. I plan on taking lessons because what i learned in high school 35 years ago just does not get it now adays. Again i thank you sir for the informative well written review makes me think i am on the right track...

Posted on May 21, 2013 9:08:59 AM PDT
BC26 says:
hey Bob I just ordered the 4500 (white) cuz of you, you made it to easy for me was wrapping my head around on witch one to buy after weeks of looking for one I read ur review and got the 4500 havent got it yet ordered it yesterday and cant wait to get it I wanna do trick photography with my new 4500 I just wanted to say thank you for helping me pick the right camera!! any tips for me? feel free to let me know you been a big help already thanks

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 6:11:47 PM PDT
D.C. Mony says:
Is there a manual lens cap for the 4500 camera ?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2013 11:22:00 AM PDT
BSB says:

Posted on Aug 23, 2013 11:44:02 AM PDT
westie13 says:
Does anyone have any idea why my finepix s4500 doesn't capture all the pics I take. This is happening every time I take a batch of pictures. I took 12 pictures of my car today as I want to sell it and only the first picture would upload to the pc. The other 11 according to my pc were blank. 1 image out of 12 taken seems a bit odd. I took about 20 pictures of my dogs playing and 4 came out, the others were there but once again 0 bytes so blank again. I have it set to point and click so what is happening. I use a card reader to get the pictures to my pc. I have tried using the usb and have the same problem so I cannot figure out why I cannot take pictures with it. When I take them and check the picture after taking it, it is in the camera yet nothing when I upload them. Please can anyone help as this way it is useless.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2013 12:04:06 PM PDT
Sounds more like a software problem than your camera, have you tried downloading the software that came with the camera again are using another program?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2013 2:54:40 PM PDT
westie13 says:
I will try installing the software again. i usually open the pictures in windows gallery and it will show one picture and then all the others are there but it says they have zero data. Just shows up on the download page as a big orange flower. I use windows 7.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (330 customer reviews)

$229.95 $188.00