Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing second generation tablet from Samsung, June 2, 2012
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1-Inch, Wi-Fi) 2012 Model (Personal Computers)
Length:: 0:40 Mins

When I first saw Samsung galaxy tab at Best Buy last summer, I absolutely loved it because of its vibrant color and huge contrast, which is the signature of Samsung products (I own Samsung LCD TV and Galaxy S2 cellphone). It really stood out from other Android tablets on display. However I balked at purchasing it due to its lacking of some of the functionality. So when the galaxy tab 2 came out, with 100 bucks less price tag, and an Android 4 OS, I had a big leap of faith that I pre-ordered it on Amazon and had my friend brought it to me from the U.S.

After playing it for a few days, I have to say I am very frustrated and disappointed. Owning a Samsung galaxy tab 2 is merely for the sake of having an android tablet, it doesn't live up to my expectation.

Let me start with some positives:
1. Latest Android ice cream sandwich OS. Although so far I haven't been able to take any benefit from it.
2. Option of expanding the capacity up to 32GB. This is the big difference from iPad. I plugged in a 32GB MicroSD and the tablet instantly had 48GB capacity in total.
3. The 400 dollar price tag is a much sweeter deal for a new release, even though hardware wise it didn't change much.

However, so far I found the negatives out weigh the positives:
1. The color is blueish and washed out, comparing to galaxy tab (remember that grand canyon screen saver!) or galaxy s2, it is a big disappointment for me. It no longer has the distinguish vibrant color that sets Samsung apart from any other Android tablets. And there is no where in the setting that I can tune the color. The only thing I can adjust is the brightness.
2. The response of the tap or swipe on the screen is not consistent. Sometimes it's sensitive, sometimes it is not and you really have to tap/swipe hard or multiple times before it responds.
3. The response time is slow. Especially when using Youtube, it takes a lot of time to render the video thumbnails.
4. There is a very annoying bug in Youtube. As shown in the video I attached. If you search an artist, all result videos come up, however after you play any of it and return to the result screen, none of the thumbnail responds! To add insult to the injury, Youtube is one of the 'systemware' pre-loaded by Samsung, and for some strange reason Youtube app was blocked on this tablet, i.e, you DO NOT see Youtube app in the play store, so you can't even update it.
5. Samsung makes its own skin on top of Android OS. Some widgets/apps are ok, for example, the S-Planner replaces the google calendar, but some very basic and useful default apps on galaxy s2 are missing, for example, 'clock'. Now if I want a stop watch or timer I need a separate app, because the pre-loaded 'Alarm' doesn't cut it.
6. Try editing an email is pain in the neck. The cursor doesn't appear where you tap, actually it almost doesn't respond at all. I had to download a different keyboard with cursor to move the cursor around.
7. The battery doesn't last long. It takes about 5 hours for a full charge, but when streaming video or radio, it goes down very fast, definitely not the 10 hours battery time Samsung claims it has.
8. The camera/video quality is bad, as mentioned by some other reviewers. For me I don't intend to use it for taking pictures or videos so it doesn't bother me that much.
9. The pre-loaded Polaris Office 4.0 is still probably in its infancy. I had some document from work that I wanted to read at my leisure time on this tablet, half of them wouldn't work, the Polaris office just crashes the moment it finishes loading the file of the following format: .pptx, and .docx. But this may not be problem of Samsung, but rather the limitation of Polaris Office.
10.For people who have Harmony remote please keep it. The function of 'smart remote' app is not even close. It probably works well for people who just have one or two devices in one room, and need only basic buttons.

People use tablet for different things. Some are very happy with this tablet because the apps/function they use happen to be flawless, but for me, due to the above reasons I can only say that I am disappointed at least.

REVIEW UPDATE JULY 10th. The tablet prompt for OS upgrade to 4.0.4 (jelly bean). After the upgrade the images on the tablet becomes sharper and more colorful, or as I say it, more Samsung like. So I highly recommend existing owners upgrade their Android OS to get better performance.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 14 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 27, 2012 9:38:46 AM PDT
4.0.4 is not jelly bean. Jelly Bean starts with 4.1. It's an update to ice cream sandwich.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2012 9:15:11 PM PDT
Xin Ning says:
Thanks for the correction. Can't believe one minor version update could make so much difference on the tablet.

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 9:32:08 AM PDT
Yen J Chen says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 9:43:20 AM PDT
Xin Ning says:
I think you should read my review first before posting any nonsense here. If you have problem understanding proper English, ask for help.

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 5:59:24 AM PDT
plt says:
Thanks for the informative post. I am in the processing of deciding between the Apple Ipad and the Samsung. I have a Samsung S3 phone and love my Samsung LCD TV. But, I also have a Imac and Macbook. Haven't figured out which way to go yet on the tablet, but your review helped.

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 2:55:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2012 2:58:31 PM PDT
summercut says:
Thanks for the informative post. I am also trying to decide between the Apple Ipad and the Samsung. I was wondering if expanding from the original 32gb could have started a problem that wouldn't have existed if not done? If the manufacturer states that something can be expanded it should work and flawlessly.I don't know but I'm just asking. Also did you contact Samsung with your complaint? Bottom line to all Amazon readers I think you gave us all a review worth reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2012 8:43:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2012 8:44:39 PM PDT
Xin Ning says:
You are welcome. The add-on 32GB works fine and it has no impact to the functionality of the tablet.
Maybe it's just my bad luck but the camera started to free once in awhile and it needs several reboots to make it work again, and this comes after only 6 months of mild use. I wouldn't recommend this table to anyone because it's just below par on almost every aspect.
I haven't contacted Samsung about all these problems, not sure whether they would care, but I think I should at least try!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 4:48:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 22, 2012 4:49:55 PM PDT
summercut says:
I throughly agree..you should at least try, and be persistant. If they don't know it's broke they can't rectify the situation.Xin give it a try.Nothing beats failure but a try.

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 4:04:17 PM PDT
L. Rodriguez says:
I see that 79 and 51 reviewers (so far) have given the Samsung tablet 5* and 4*, respectively. It's hard for me to digest that, with so many negative issues as you've found, anyone would rank the tablet that good. Could it be that you, unfortunately, got a 'lemon' one. I was reading the reviews because I found a spectacular price for this tablet somewhere else, and wanted to see first how it had been rated in Amazon before buying it. With your review--if all your issues happen to all units--I wouldn't want to buy one!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2012 5:01:40 PM PDT
Xin Ning says:
Rodriguez, I don't think mine is a 'lemon '. As I mentioned, people use this tablet for different purposes. They may not have seen the first generation of it, or they may not own other Samsung product hence they have nothing to compare with and just be happy to have an android tablet. Your best bet is to go to the brick and motar store to try it out yourself.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›