5.0 out of 5 stars Is it a stretch to suggest that the Naga may be the best mouse on the planet?, October 8, 2009
This review is from: Razer Naga MMOG Laser Gaming Mouse (RZ01-00280100-R3) (Personal Computers)
March 07 2014 update /// The original review of the 2009 model will be included below this new review, unedited.

After some four and a half years of faithful service, I decided it was time to retire my original Razer Naga. Enter: Razer Naga 2014!

As I noted in my initial review of this device, it definitely takes some getting used to. The transition from the 2009 version to the 2014 version was, oddly, no different. While it conforms to the same overall size and shape, I did not feel truly comfortable with this new mouse for at least the first six hours of use. It feels a little heavier than the original, and sports an entirely different tactile feel; "hammered" finish, greatly protruding buttons, and rubberized panels. Here, two weeks later, it once again feels like an extension of my own body, and I wouldn't change a thing.

My feelings today largely mirror those of the original review; the Naga has long since proven itself to be an immensely powerful and useful tool in both gaming and beyond. I greatly appreciate Razer's choice to move the two additional top buttons back behind the mouse wheel, as well as their inclusion of a tilting wheel (one of my most missed features from the old Logitech G7.) The now more pronounced side buttons have alleviated all of the concerns I had with the original, from difficulty finding keys, to "grunge" collection, and so on. The evolution of Razer's software has been a huge book to their entire product line, as well.

My only gripe thus far... the side buttons are a little more sensitive than I am used to as of yet. As such, I have a tendancy to hit buttons while moving the mouse, as well as hitting '4' in addition to '1' when I only need to hit '1'. I'm positive this issue will work itself out in time, though.

For the curious... I did end up replacing the 2009 version for a technical reason. About a year ago, the RMB developed some difficulties in recognizing a continuous press. It never once missed a clicking action, but it would occasionally have fits were a press-and-hold would simply not function. Fortunately, many of the game I have been playing between then and now have simply allowed me to overlook that fault.

----- Original 2009 Naga Review -----

** This review has been revised for the release of the 2.0 drivers, which enable full key remapping and macro support. THANK YOU RAZER! **

My first impressions review of the Razer Naga was pretty grim. Having come from using a Logitech G7 for years prior, the Naga felt clunky at best and the complete lack of any key rebinding support for a mouse intended for MMO use left me scratching my head. In the days following that initial review, Wave of team Naga left me a comment (as seen in the comments section of this review) stating that they were intending to address the later with an upcoming driver release. A few months later, just as he had promised, version 2.0 hit... and it hit hard!

Before I get into all that, let me tackle the ergonomics. As I mentioned, at first I felt this mouse to be very clunky. Now, months later, I could not have been more wrong. When they said this mouse was designed for long gaming sessions with minimal hand fatigue, they meant it. My only real complaints in this department is about button placement. No, no, not the 12-button thumb pad... those are perfect! My beef is with the two additional index finger buttons, which for me, are at best awkwardly placed and at worst completely unusable.

But lets cut the nonsense, if you are reading this you care about one thing and one thing only... the 12 buttons on the side of this bad-boy.
I'll be straight with you, at first it is awkward as hell and comes with a bit of a learning curve. Don't expect to pick this mouse up and be some kinda of button-pressing Mozart by morning. Now months after my purchase I am still second guessing myself from time to time when reaching for the 8 and 9 key, mostly because I don't use them in very many games. As I alluded to earlier in this review, they are placed such that I don't have any issue at all reaching any one button (though 11 and 12 require a funky move that can mess with my cursor precision.)

The 2.0 driver also brought with it two additional features that came as a bit of a surprise to me... profiles and macros! The profiles are just what you would expect and though very basic in their functionality, the macros should get the job done nine times out of ten. If you are familiar with the Logitech G15 or Nostromo N52, then you know what I am talking about. If not, well, it's little more than pre-recorded keystrokes with custom delays between them. Nothing fancy, but far from useless.

Now that the issue of rebindable keys has been taken care of, I struggle to find anything at all wrong with this mouse.
If I absolutely had to give it a con, hmmm... I suppose it requires a bit more care than other mice in order to keep clean. Lots of buttons means lots of places for build up. Fortunately the fit/finish on this mouse is tight enough that cleanup is a breeze.

Happy grinding/fragging/whateveryouneed17gloriousbuttonsfordoing!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 12, 2009 8:57:09 AM PDT
Razer|Wave says:
Hi Jordon,

FYI, this is the same comment I added to Steven H's review of the Naga. But it applies to yours also.

When Razer first designed the Naga, we were focused on making this the ultimate MMO gaming mouse. We focused on in-game add-ons as the primary mode of remapping keys and creating macros so that we would not run afoul of the Terms of Service
and the game experience the developers created.

Software driver remapping of keys is a standard function for most Razer products and we do have suitable solutions that we intend to release in the near future. We are working closely with the MMO developers to ensure that any such release will not detract from the game experience of MMOs. As such, do stay tuned as we expect to release a software update shortly that will enable out of game remapping functionality. In the meantime, the Razer Naga will do what we promise - provide the ultimate experience and edge in MMO games such as World of Warcraft, Warhammer and more.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2009 6:59:24 PM PDT
Fsac says:
Thanks for the reply, Wave.
Having used this mouse for a while now, I feel compelled to revamp my original 'first impressions' review.
Before I do so, one question just for clarification sake. This new software update you mention, is it going to allow key remapping functionality to the first production run of Naga as well, or just future releases? If that is the case, 1) horray, half my complaints are solved! and 2) why ship it without in the first place?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2009 4:24:47 PM PST
B. K. Treen says:
It is worth mentioning that mouse tilt wheel technology was developed by and patented by Microsoft. To my knowledge mouse manufacturers must enter into a licensing agreement with Microsoft if they wish to utilize tilt-wheels, I've used a few laser products and don't believe I've seen any tilt wheels so I suspect Razer isn't licensed to use tilt wheels. I would not hold it against Razer since it is a legal situation out of their control.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2009 4:37:28 PM PST
Fsac says:
Ah, very good point. Thank you!
Having weened myself off of their use over the last month+ I can honestly say that the feature isn't quite as crucial for me as I might have once thought it to be, though I reckon that could be said for just about anything you have grown accustomed to for some seven years only to have it yanked away abruptly.

Still waiting on the software updates to implement the remapping functionality, though. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2009 7:38:03 PM PST
L. Camacho says:
Hi G. Frick,

Are you saying that eventually we'll be able to program the 12 button pad for general use outside an MMO as well? For example, I'd love to map things like Expose, Dashboard, and Spotlight to it as default settings outside of whatever MMO/game I'm using it for.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2009 5:26:17 PM PST
Kevin says:
I have no idea what this "Terms of Service" G. Frick spoke of but it sounds like a ton of bull poo. If Logitech can do macros and what not with their keyboard then why can't Razer do the same with their mouse? If MMO devs start banning people for using the G15 then perhaps that might be a concern, but thus far it's a none issue. As it stand, the "Program up to thousands of different in-game commands" tag line on Amazon for this product is a LIE and false advertising to boot. There's a lot of potential for this mouse, not just for MMO but for other genres as well be it RTS or flight sims, but only if Razer stop gimping this product and let loose a full on key remapping feature.

Their in game add-ons are cute but not necessary. I did not pay $75 for a mouse with 12 thumb mounted numeric keys, I paid money for a mouse with 12 programmable buttons. Stop holding this product back and give me the mouse I paid for.

Posted on Dec 26, 2009 6:30:36 PM PST
Jen says:
Hey Jordan. Thanks for the review! I just wanted to let you know it's possible to delete and resubmit your review to change the star rating. :) Cheers!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2009 5:47:42 AM PST
Fsac says:
Yea, if/when they finally do release a patch that enables the button reprogramming, I certainly plan to. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2010 5:58:58 AM PST
Dave says:
Please, if anyone finds a way to reprogram the buttons post it in this comment. It is driving me nuts that I can reprogram my old 5 year old mouse and not this one. This is the perfect mouse for me otherwise. Great review!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2010 11:50:34 AM PST
Razer|Wave says:
Hello All,
The New Driver for the Naga has been released.

This is version 2.0 and gives you the ability to fully assign all buttons on the Naga.

Enjoy :)